Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, coda said:

What about the sodding barbers? My barnet is beginning to resemble Tim Martin's.

One of the very few advantages of being an old bald clearing in the woods is that Mrs Sidcow can give me a decent "haircut" with the clippers I bought at the start of lockdown. I look like Bruce Willis now, just need to stretch a string vest over my beer belly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

One of the very few advantages of being an old bald clearing in the woods is that Mrs Sidcow can give me a decent "haircut" with the clippers I bought at the start of lockdown. I look like Bruce Willis now, just need to stretch a string vest over my beer belly. 

No 1 *all over* 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I hope you're right, because it seems like another Boris superspreader **** waiting to happen to me.

At the very least I'd have liked to see teachers prioritised for vaccinations if they're being forced back in to a room with 20+ kids, that'd be a concern for me even as a young-ish person with no pre-existing conditions.

Yes surely vaccinating teachers is the least they could do.  A quick Google says there are about half a million, they could easily do their first jab (or better, already have done them) in a few weeks.

29 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The ERG style Tory ultra libertarian right aren't happy that everything isn't opening back up right now and the excitable left aren't happy that we're not in a semi-permanent lockdown so it's probably a decent strategy.

Actually laughed out loud at this. 

It's probably the truest litmus test of if it's a decent enough plan. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Actually laughed out loud at this. 

It's probably the truest litmus test of if it's a decent enough plan. 

Being in the middle of the extremes is always the right strategy. Unfortunately since 2016 there's no vote there, everything is polarised (but different subject).

• Like 2

Urgently need better public health communication. This is disastrous:

This 'senior figure' should frankly be named, not allowed to hide behind anonymity. And the communication here is completely counter-productive, as evidenced by the multiple people in replies despairing of ever getting their lives back, saying this communication is putting them off taking the vaccine, etc.

America has this even worse, and if we're not careful we're going to end up here:

They need to stop talking the vaccines down. They are an incredible feat of medical science, and they literally are our way out of the crisis. We're not going to be going in and out of lockdowns forever, anyway.

(Tom Newton-Dunn is a scumbag who published a conspiracy theory sourced from neo-Nazi websites in the Sun, and has never faced any consequences - obligatory reminder)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, it isn't.

Depends on what we're referring to. I meant in a practical sense rather than politically. 

But you're right, it's more of a general rule than always.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes surely vaccinating teachers is the least they could do.  A quick Google says there are about half a million, they could easily do their first jab (or better, already have done them) in a few weeks.

I think the problem was how to organise it.  They were looking at doing various occupation based campaigns but i guess it's hard to identify who all the teachers are without them actually contacting you to arrange it which in itself would be a massive administrative job, would need to double check each one. 

My mate runs a nursery and the rules appeared to allow him to get jabbed which he did but then got a snotty letter from the local authority accusing him of queue jumping.  Turns out what he read was wrong (possibly) despite being in a Government website. They don't seem to know their derriere from their funny bone.

It seems easier just to work through doctors lists in age groups. 

• Like 1

Just now, darrenm said:

Depends on what we're referring to. I meant in a practical sense rather than politically. 

But you're right, it's more of a general rule than always.

I don't even think it's a good rule of thumb. It's best to try to work out the right thing to do, and then do that, rather than basing decisions on some arbitrary 'balance' between opposing sides. Sometimes when everybody is cross at you, it's because you're doing a bad job that pleases nobody, rather than because you have achieved a position of 'balance'.

I feel like this route out of lockdown plan is a bit too conservative. I think the 'not before' dates are an unnecessary bind and I suspect that people will make their own decisions.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t imagine “no more limits on social contact”

Is that full fat, sports stadiums, concerts, festivals, the lot?

I was only half-listening, he did mention them but also added a caveat that it may involve testing.  I'm not sure how that would work though.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was only half-listening, he did mention them but also added a caveat that it may involve testing.  I'm not sure how that would work though.

It'll be the lateral flow tests (the ones that give a result in ~15 minutes).  Not ideal by any means but it gives some sense of assurance.  I expect the need to book places etc and it wouldn't surprise me if they posted out the test kit along with your ticket. 

• Like 1

Â