Generic Virus Thread

villakram

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153617

Covid vaccines - 'spectacular' impact on serious illness

The first data on the UK Covid vaccine rollout suggests it is having a "spectacular" impact on stopping serious illness, researchers say.

Within weeks, one shot reduces the risk of being admitted to hospital by at least three-quarters for the over 80s.

Researchers said this was particularly impressive as this age group was the most frail and least likely to have a strong immune response.

Monitoring of health staff also shows vaccination helps cut transmission.

The PHS study found that, by the fourth week after the first dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines, the risk of being admitted to hospital had been reduced by 81%.

It was slightly higher when younger age groups were included.

Lead researcher Prof Aziz Sheikh said the results were "very, very" impressive and both vaccines were working "spectacularly".

It found vaccination reduced the risk of symptomatic infection by 57%; for those infected the risk of being admitted to hospital was reduced by 40% and then if people were admitted to hospital it reduced the risk of dying by 56%.

Overall this meant, the team said, the risk of being admitted to hospital and dying was reduced by at least 75%.

And she added the findings for the over 80s were particularly impressive as they were the frailest people who are perhaps least likely to have a strong immune response.

Trials of both vaccines had suggested they would have a significant impact at preventing hospitalisations.

Edited by sidcow

Does this cover Wales as well as England?    Or will Wales have their own rules like bloody Scotland like to do?

I ask because i have a lodge break booked in Wales halfway in-between stage 2 and stage 3 dates.. which will be allowed if Wales don't do anything different.

Just now, ender4 said:

Does this cover Wales as well as England?    Or will Wales have their own rules like bloody Scotland like to do?

I ask because i have a lodge break booked in Wales halfway in-between stage 2 and stage 3 dates.. which will be allowed if Wales don't do anything different.

Wales will do their own thing

There should be some sort of system to segregate drinkers of different abilities. A mixed free for all approach at the start of the Euros with staunch pintmen, mixed in with the ladies wot wine crowd and the Christmas and New Year amateurs is going to get messy. 

At least the hospitals have had lots of practice at being busy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I lose a certain amount of respect for the rules when I can't see a mate at their place any earlier than 10,000 people are allowed in a stadium.  Also why can outdoor venues only allowed to be at 25% occupancy while indoor venues are 50%, isn't this arse about face?

I'm not allowed to stay at my parent's place overnight until I can go back to pushing my way through a mass of people in a packed out Holte End concourse?

I'm back to thinking they're making this shit up as they're going along and intending to stick to my own sense of what is and isn't safe.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I lose a certain amount of respect for the rules when I can't see a mate at their place any earlier than 10,000 people are allowed in a stadium.  Also why can outdoor venues only allowed to be at 25% occupancy while indoor venues are 50%, isn't this arse about face?

I'm not allowed to stay at my parent's place overnight until I can go back to pushing my way through a mass of people in a packed out Holte End concourse?

I'm back to thinking they're making this shit up as they're going along and intending to stick to my own sense of what is and isn't safe.

Yes, for all of Boris' talk about prioritising families getting back together, that seems to be the lowest priority.

In March you can only meet 6 family/friends outside, but up to 15 people (with no limit on children under 5) can meet outside if they are part of a parent/child group. In April that parent/child group can meet indoors, but even in May you can still only meet 6 of your family/friends inside.

I'll have to borrow a child from somewhere...

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

What about borders?

That's what I'm looking for too, seemingly nothing on international travel

But then due to the strain variance I think a lot of it depends on other countries trying to keep people from the UK out... 

21 minutes ago, andym said:

Yes, for all of Boris' talk about prioritising families getting back together, that seems to be the lowest priority.

In March you can only meet 6 family/friends outside, but up to 15 people (with no limit on children under 5) can meet outside if they are part of a parent/child group. In April that parent/child group can meet indoors, but even in May you can still only meet 6 of your family/friends inside.

I'll have to borrow a child from somewhere...

I can understand wanting to put job's first tbh, but the inconsistencies are frustrating.

Edited by Davkaus

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what I'm looking for too, seemingly nothing on international travel

But then due to the strain variance I think a lot of it depends on other countries trying to keep people from the UK out... 

international travel is step 3, I saw it in this thread. Review point for step 3 is mid April.

8-BFA7522-EA25-4711-8-D5-E-81-C9384-D2-B

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

Â