Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes and the universal credit top-up of £20 a week is to be extended for 6 months too. But I think they will have to make that permanent because if they take it away in 6 months many people would starve

Well, yeah, but only poor people, so where's the problem? </Tory> 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, yeah, but only poor people, so where's the problem? </Tory> 

Its something that Sunak wanted to avoid but I think its right to keep it as it was the poorest people that were hit hardest by austerity. 

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its something that Sunak wanted to avoid but I think its right to keep it as it was the poorest people that were hit hardest by austerity. 

Pretty much everything Sunak has done is not of Sunak's political philosophy. Ironically in the eyes of the public, it's making him popular but just wait until normality returns

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Pretty much everything Sunak has done is not of Sunak's political philosophy. Ironically in the eyes of the public, it's making him popular but just wait until normality returns

Yes, this £400bn plus has to all be paid back, plus interest. I wonder how popular he’ll be then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes, this £400bn plus has to all be paid back, plus interest. I wonder how popular he’ll be then.

Not really.

Interest rates are negative for government borrowing. Investors are paying to provide government debt. Most of the debt is just bonds the government issues to itself and means nothing.

It's straying into MMT but essentially, when you operate your own currency, as long as you don't start foreign governments panicking, then you can keep printing money for yourself. The only actual end to that is actual physical resource so if you have trees, oil, gold, etc.

This is a great thread

• Like 1

On 14/02/2021 at 17:11, sidcow said:

Are those new cases numbers the vaccination effect now?  They seem to be falling faster than they rose looking at the graph.

BBC also reporting that the new cases are falling faster than they did in the first lockdown and that this is probably because of vaccinations. 

16 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The fall in deaths is still remarkably linear. It hasn't changed from end Feb / start March for a while now.

image.thumb.png.c8557975fe3c1e84caccea732c7e384d.png

Looks like the first week of March will be the true test for this hypothesis.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Looks like the first week of March will be the true test for this hypothesis.

Yeah. I know it won't reach 0 at that point and pretty soon it should start to level off. So I'm not saying it will follow this, I'm only presenting the data as a graph.

Or who knows, perhaps with the amount of at risk people vaccinated by now, it will keep falling at the same rate towards single figures.

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Yeah. I know it won't reach 0 at that point and pretty soon it should start to level off. So I'm not saying it will follow this, I'm only presenting the data as a graph.

Or who knows, perhaps with the amount of at risk people vaccinated by now, it will keep falling at the same rate towards single figures.

I was just being silly and commenting on it running in to negative numbers, ignore me :D

• Haha 1

Nothing about meeting up with people though? 

I don’t give two tosses about golf, tennis and the gym, I want to go and see my mom and dad. 

Edited by Ingram85

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Nothing about meeting up with people though? 

I don’t give two tosses about golf, tennis and the gym, I want to go and see my mom and dad. 

You can meet them. You all just have to be holding golf clubs at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sky News reporting dates for easing as fact now (I knew it would be leaked early)

All schools in England will reopen to all pupils on 8 March under the prime minister's roadmap out of lockdown to be announced tomorrow, with outdoor after-school sports and activities also allowed to restart.

And on the same date, outdoor recreation with one other person will also be permitted, meaning people will be allowed to sit together in a park with a coffee, drink or picnic.

From 29 March, larger groups will be able to meet outside - including in private gardens - up to a maximum of six people or two households.

Tennis courts, golf courses and other outdoor sport facilities will also reopen on 29 March, which is the first Monday of most schools' Easter holidays.

At the same time, organised adults and children's sport, including grassroots football, will restart.

The relaxation of measures is the first stage of a four-part roadmap expected to include the reopening of non-essential retail and hospitality in the coming months.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â