Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I had a good run but it finally got me.

Just landed back and had a cold since yesterday. Really didn’t think it was covid as no sore throat as other have mentioned. Just feel really tired.

Hopefully it gets no worse and the vaccines are keeping the symptoms mild.

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I had a good run but it finally got me.

Just landed back and had a cold since yesterday. Really didn’t think it was covid as no sore throat as other have mentioned. Just feel really tired.

Hopefully it gets no worse and the vaccines are keeping the symptoms mild.

It's just got me for first time too. Felt more and more crap as day went on Thursday, so thought I should test. Feeling a bit better today. Head is a bit fuzzy but not sure if that's the humidity. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I feel awful having travelled home but there really isn’t anything else to do. I 100% didn’t think covid as I just had a blocked nose and tiredness. No cough or sore throat, no loss of smell or taste.

The rest of the family are clear for now. They all had it last summer and I managed to escape it. Hopefully they have some immunity from having it before.

14 hours ago, Nicho said:

World Health Organisation have now declared Monkey Pox a global health emergency 😷

Did you learn this from the post 6 before yours? :detect:

• Haha 1

Last Sunday I did a test and it was immediately positive, like a light switch.

All week i’ve had the cold/flu type symptoms.

Did a test this morning and it’s negative, however i’m still feeling a bit like I have a cold.

Is that normal for the lateral flow to go negative when some symptoms still remain?

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is that normal for the lateral flow to go negative when some symptoms still remain?

My experience is the opposite. Symptons gone but tests still popping positive!

3 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

My experience is the opposite. Symptons gone but tests still popping positive!

That was my expectation, the positive tests would hang around for a bit. It’s been a week since I first felt like I wasn’t 100%.

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

That was certainly my experience. Lat flow was positive for five days, symptoms for at least two weeks. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Last Sunday I did a test and it was immediately positive, like a light switch.

All week i’ve had the cold/flu type symptoms.

Did a test this morning and it’s negative, however i’m still feeling a bit like I have a cold.

It can be either or to be honest. I was testing negative for ages after symptoms disappeared.

Woman at work tested negative 2 days after her negative test but was in bed for the rest of the week

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Langya: New virus infects 35 people in eastern China

Scientists are tracking a new, animal-derived virus in eastern China that has infected at least several dozen people.

The novel Langya henipavirus (LayV) was found in 35 patients in the Shandong and Henan provinces. Many had symptoms such as fever, fatigue and a cough.

They are thought to have contracted the virus from animals. There is no evidence so far LayV can transmit among humans.

BBC News

Didn't they initially think COVID couldn't possibly be transmitting human to human? :detect:

I think these kind of stories are the kind of thing we used to see all the time and pay no attention to. Covid has just put everyone on edge and made this stuff more newsworthy.

A virus effecting the world like Covid did is a once in a lifetime (if that) occurrence so I imagine the chances of another one coming along so soon is pretty low.

Obviously I have zero scientific basis for this assumption :D 

• Haha 1

At this stage in world history, I’m kind of reliant on the facts as set out in the film World War Z, where the only safe place to land the last plane was Cardiff Airport.

I could walk there in about 20 minutes.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At this stage in world history, I’m kind of reliant on the facts as set out in the film World War Z, where the only safe place to land the last plane was Cardiff Airport.

I could walk there in about 20 minutes.

That’s great to hear. You wouldn’t need to factor in surviving a plane crash into your plan to save the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s ironic really that a seriously significant virus that wipes out, say 30-40% of the worlds population is the only thing that can probably save the species and planet from mass extinction, go figure.

Earth has it's funny ways, doesn't it? 

Â