Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, tinker said:

It' means that you have a choice to have or not have medical procedures without being discriminated against. It's a principal.

OK ... one can have unprotected sex when you have AIDs? Don't have to tell one's partner?

I still, as a taxpayer, have to subsidize a person's willful disregard for their community's health because it is a principle? Interesting.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's welcoming news but there's still the issue of South African demographics being very different to those of Western Europe in terms of age

That's true, but there hasn't yet been anything out of South Africa suggesting a divergent change for younger versus older.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's welcoming news but there's still the issue of South African demographics being very different to those of Western Europe in terms of age

And also that these people are, apparently, still in hospital.  Would be interested in the definition of “mild”. 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

And also that these people are, apparently, still in hospital.  Would be interested in the definition of “mild”. 

I remember reading the other day (internet reading - usual accuracy disclosures apply) that mild in medical terms normally means anything from a short stay in hospital and below.

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The previous report I posted had 76% having been admitted to hospital for other reasons (presumably everyone who enters hospital is tested upon admission).

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just making sure I’ve got this right: I should work from home now, but we can meet up for the office party?

Also no sex unless you're paying for it. The economy is very important.

I can't imagine many people will follow these new rules, especially after all the stuff that's just been revealed. "Oh we did break the rules several times last year, but here's some new rules, so we can quickly forget about the past and focus on right now." Bollocks. 

In other news, had my Pfizer booster on Tuesday (had AZ vaccine). Arm is bloody killing me right now, but that's the worst for me thankfully. 

8 hours ago, a-k said:

It does reduce the chance of you getting infected. It's not 100% protection against any infection, but still a substantial percentage. Then, on top of that, very strong protection against serious illness. Again, not 100% protection against hospitalizations and death, but in the 90%s. So, less people getting infected, and those that do get infected are generally able to ward off the disease without major complications.

You are correct that in simple terms it's someone's own choice/risk if they stay unvaccinated. However, when hospitals are filling up and overcapacity because of unvaccinated patients, as has happened in many places in the world, it absolutely does matter. Need cancer treatment? Sorry, doctors busy with unvaccinated covid patients. Need day or overnight surgery? Sorry, all the beds are full of unvaccinated covid patients. Slip and fall down the stairs and break a hip? Good luck.

The vaccine is a major player in making life "normal" again, by turning a severe disease into a "cold" for most people. Two years ago, people were in the hospital with pneumonia, flu, etc., but they were not overloading the system. The vaccine is there to first and foremost protect yourself, and secondly to protect others: directly, by reducing the R0 ("infectivity"), and indirectly, by reducing your chance of clogging up the system so someone else can get hospital treatment.

As someone who is double vaccinated, with a booster booked on December 20th, and who has volunteered at vaccination centres, this post still bothers me somewhat because you’ve made some claims that don’t seem to have any substantiation.

Hospitals are filling up and overcapacity because of unvaccinated patients”

Sorry all the beds are full of unvaccinated patients”

How have you determined these two sentences and what is your source? 

11 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

As someone who is double vaccinated, with a booster booked on December 20th, and who has volunteered at vaccination centres, this post still bothers me somewhat because you’ve made some claims that don’t seem to have any substantiation.

Hospitals are filling up and overcapacity because of unvaccinated patients”

Sorry all the beds are full of unvaccinated patients”

How have you determined these two sentences and what is your source? 

The average is 85.5% capacity, but if you look at the list there are quite a few hospitals at 90-95% capacity.

Now that is about average over the last 10 years, but you still need people to treat them, (and numbers of doctors and nurses have not gone up under Tories) so that leaves fewer and fewer beds for patients with other illnesses

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/bed-availability-and-occupancy/bed-data-overnight/

• Like 1

The news from my extremely conspiracy crazy coworker is that you should buy some sort of magic dirt from Canada that cures covid, he also heard from his loon friends that gargling hydrogen peroxide 'easily' cures covid. It'll be a blessing for the rest of us to get home office time away from his absolute horse!¤#!¤. 

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The news from my extremely conspiracy crazy coworker is that you should buy some sort of magic dirt from Canada that cures covid, he also heard from his loon friends that gargling hydrogen peroxide 'easily' cures covid. It'll be a blessing for the rest of us to get home office time away from his absolute horse!¤#!¤. 

It genuinely sounds to me like he has mental health issues. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

It genuinely sounds to me like he has mental health issues. 

Yeah, the fact that he works at a university is what's even scarier. He's been consumed by the Trump-maga-right wing bs since Trump got removed.

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you wear a seatbelt in a car?

Further to that, airbags are the direct cause of death in some cases. We should be outraged that wearing seatbelts and having airbags are mandatory and otherwise punishable by law

/s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Does anyone know if I have the booster, will it show as positive on a PCR/Anti viral test? 

No the Lateral Flow and PCR tests look for different proteins/genes than what is in the vaccines

• Thanks 1

I tried to reply to my anti-vaxx coworker in this manner yesterday:

I won't put winter tires on my car, it's my choice, my car, my freedom. The efficacy of winter tires is not proven unless it's by trials from the producers. My neighbour was in an accident just after he put on his winter tires. Some people are already on their third set of winter tires, this shows their uselessness. We don't know what they're made of, the makers won't tell us! The makers scare us with winter and get filthy rich! By the way, it was the makers of winter tires that inveted snow and they spread it at night when you sleep. If I have winter tires the government will be able to track me in the snow. Educate yourself, get woke, open your eyes, stop being a sheep! This year I'm saying no to winter tires!

I don't think it sank in.

• Like 3

Â