Recruitment

TRO

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

It cost us £5m per goal! Terrible signing. 

Probably if he wasn't crippled for 3 years he would have added to that 😉

It was 3.6 million a goal not 5

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Never ceases to amaze me how so many on here have inside knowledge of how the club operates and who makes the calls etc. Impressive.

they've always had this knowledge to be fair. even when suso/smith were running the recruitment. i did value their knowledge at the time at how all the good signings were deanos and the shit ones were suso's. really helped me froth at the mouth at suso and realise what a shit job he did.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 08:17, tomav84 said:

they've always had this knowledge to be fair. even when suso/smith were running the recruitment. i did value their knowledge at the time at how all the good signings were deanos and the shit ones were suso's. really helped me froth at the mouth at suso and realise what a shit job he did.

Pretty sure that was Purslow leaking stuff. Suso hinted he wanted to sack Smith and hire Gerrard in 2020 and he turned down Nzonzi for Drinkwater

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure that was Purslow leaking stuff. Suso hinted he wanted to sack Smith and hire Gerrard in 2020 and he turned down Nzonzi for Drinkwater

Wtf, sacking Smith in 2020 would have seen us back in the championship. Where did you hear this?

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Wtf, sacking Smith in 2020 would have seen us back in the championship. Where did you hear this?

Was rumours at the time of that Leicester game and Gerrard was the favourite as a link with Purslows Liverpool/hero connections.

Football Insider only ever scoop

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has to be considered a huge success our overall recruitment. Sign of a well run club. Only blip we've had was Gerrard and tbh that worked out in the end because there were no options available really at the time and ended with us getting Emery. We also made high quality signings like Kamara, Digne, Carlos who were part of that astonishing performance against City. 

Top recruitment with an elite coach and strong structures at the club is really exciting for the future. 

I do worry a little now Lange at Spurs as most of our current squad were signed under his watch. 

• Like 1

As we progress at the rate we do.....it must become harder to find commensurate talent.

I think we are finally in tweaking territory, with the odd one or two, enhancing the squad.

It ceases to amaze me, the transformation, this man has made to our squad and the improvement he has got from most of the players, already.

It cannot have gone unnoticed that quite aside from the playing on the pitch, the value increase in the Transfer Market of our squad, must have gone through the roof.

The Owners, who have been Phenomenal, since they come to our rescue....are other members of the club, who also need motivating, too....They must be cock-a-hoop

It must be so satisfying to see the recruitment, and the coaching at the hand of the wizard Unai Emery, see their assets grow exponentially. Its all about decisions for them, they must be feeling content.

To think, UE has only been here just over 12 months....its only just started....and looking forward to Monchi working his magic, too.

Edited by TRO

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Has to be considered a huge success our overall recruitment. Sign of a well run club. Only blip we've had was Gerrard and tbh that worked out in the end because there were no options available really at the time and ended with us getting Emery. We also made high quality signings like Kamara, Digne, Carlos who were part of that astonishing performance against City. 

Top recruitment with an elite coach and strong structures at the club is really exciting for the future. 

I do worry a little now Lange at Spurs as most of our current squad were signed under his watch. 

Maybe a reason, he got the job.....He must also, have huge respect for UE who has enhanced his signings dramatically, and shown him in a good light.

I think we all know our jewel in the crown.

There’s no evidence to suggest that Lange did a particularly stellar job. Most of our key players were here before he arrived, were already established players or were manager led signings.

Ultimately he left because he was moved aside by Unai for Monchi which tells you everything you need to know. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Out of all the signings under his watch I’d say Martinez was by far the most inspirational one. The others weren’t exactly unearthing diamonds. Also we’ve seen you can sign good players but if the coaching is shit you don’t get far with them. 

Credit to Lange for whatever he did whilst he was in charge. But I wouldn’t be concerned about him leaving us.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Out of all the signings under his watch I’d say Martinez was by far the most inspirational one. The others weren’t exactly unearthing diamonds. Also we’ve seen you can sign good players but if the coaching is shit you don’t get far with them. 

Credit to Lange for whatever he did whilst he was in charge. But I wouldn’t be concerned about him leaving us.

Martinez was down to Neil Cutler pushing his case wasn't it?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Martinez was down to Neil Cutler pushing his case wasn't it?

Probably. I just thought I’d give Lange that one. In reality non of us will ever know what Lange did and tbh it’s always managers that get the credit for the signings anyway. So I’ll give it to Smith. 

Martinez wasn't an hidden gem, he was playing for Arsenal and getting a lot of plaudits for his good displays, he played in the FA Cup final for them, when he was sold to us it was reported that they didn't really want to let him go but did so for FFP reasons, at the time Leno was still a very highly rated player.

Besides I'm not sure why people think Lange was picking our signings, I'm pretty sure that wasn't his job, we had an head of recruitment and he had a team of people working underneath him, we also had another guy from Copenhagen that worked in recrutiment for them, Lange's job would have been more about putting those systems in place, deciding on the way we wanted to play as a club, and the type of players we need for that to happen.

Whoever was responsible for recruitment, in most cases it will  be very much a team effort, between the recruitment team, and data people, and then managers having the final say, they did a good job, because the signings we've made have got us into the position we're in now, on the whole they've played their part, we haven't just magically appeared in this position from nowhere.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Martinez had nothing to do with Lange. It was Neil Cutler that pushed for him. Also a very obvious signing at the time because he had that crazy run of form for Arsenal.

• Like 2

Also I'm really not sure why people judge recruiment on siging 'hidden gems' if you want real success you don't do it by signing a bunch of hidden gems, that's just a fantasy that some fans seem to have, you do it by signing provent top quality players, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and whoever else, havent' had their recent success by signing a bunch of unknowns, they do it by signing for the most part proven players, but obviously it's not as easy as just signing a bunch of good players, have to make sure they're right for the system, will work well together, are the right characters and so on

• Like 2

Martinez was still a great signing rather than an obvious one considering he had played exceptionally well for about 3 months in his whole career. Whoever was responsible for that signing deserves a hell of a lot of credit in my opinion. 

Anyway my post was about not being concerned about losing Lange to Spurs. It’s hard to be concerned when you don’t even know what he did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Martinez was still a great signing rather than an obvious one considering he had played exceptionally well for about 3 months in his whole career. Whoever was responsible for that signing deserves a hell of a lot of credit in my opinion. 

Anyway my post was about not being concerned about losing Lange to Spurs. It’s hard to be concerned when you don’t even know what he did.

He was chief scout for bad signings and on holiday for good signings... 

I've always thought the reality was Lange just managed the whole process, cutler tells him martinez is class, Lange sends the chief scout to watch him, Lange gets the data analysts to check if the stats back up the scout reports, Lange contacts the agent and arsenal to set up the meeting, he gets the medical team to do the medical, he gets the recruitment team to help him settle, just like every other business model it requires a man at the top of the tree 

Loads of moving parts, the whole 1 man signings "definitely a purslow signing" stuff is bollocks 

• Like 1

Â