The Royal Family

Genie

One thing I noticed last night was that both Princes Harry and Andrew were in their military uniforms.

Charles has apparently allowed it. 

I thought the issue with Andrew was that given what he was accused of the armed forces were putting pressure on the Queen to strip him of his titles and to distance him from them, which she did.

Charles immediately reversing that now. Could it be a bit of an issue once the funeral is out of the way? 

I think standing in a queue for 12 hours + for anything is fairly crazy. I’ve been trying to think of something I’d do that for. I wouldn’t do it for a Villa FA cup final ticket even if I knew they’d be victorious. 

I suppose I would queue for that time if it was something for my daughter. Something she needed. I can’t think what that would be, but I can’t rule it out completely.

That being said, I do find it fairly admirable that David Beckham waited alongside “normal” people for that time, not taking the quick route which I assume was available to him.

On the flip side of that, I wonder how many of the people criticising Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield (for apparently skipping ahead) wouldn’t take the quick route if they were given the opportunity.

I am aware that really all the queue stuff is trivial, relatively speaking and people (the wider public, not VT) should be discussing cancer referrals being postponed. But I guess people feel more comfortable debating queue etiquette, rather than people needing medical treatment (again, the wider public, not VT).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

One thing I noticed last night was that both Princes Harry and Andrew were in their military uniforms.

I thought the issue with Andrew was that given what he was accused of the armed forces were putting pressure on the Queen to strip him of his titles and to distance him from them, which she did.

Charles immediately reversing that now. Could it be a bit of an issue once the funeral is out of the way? 

He's only temporarily indulging the sexual predator, apparently. Out of respect for his mother. Like she's the patron saint of sex traffickers.

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

Will it be an issue?  No. 

It seems pretty clear.  If you aren’t undertaking “public duty” you cannot wear your uniform events. This is a one-off.   

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This.  

I felt the same after the 9/11 attacks.  The US did not need our help.  But it got our support. 

England hasn’t been attacked. A very rich and privileged woman has died.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

England hasn’t been attacked. A very rich and privileged woman has died.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I was under the misunderstanding that the queen had been murdered by the Belgium Army as it swept across Scotland in a very secretive invasion.  

I personally can’t understand the level of grief being displayed.  My point was that it’s reasonable to show support for another country when they are dealing with something that is a major event for them.  

I imagine the Uk will do the same when Dame Edna Everage has her state funeral in Sydney. 

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Thanks for pointing that out.  I was under the misunderstanding that the queen had been murdered by the Belgium Army as it swept across Scotland in a very secretive invasion.  

I personally can’t understand the level of grief being displayed.  My point was that it’s reasonable to show support for another country when they are dealing with something that is a major event for them.  

I imagine the Uk will do the same when Dame Edna Everage has her state funeral in Sydney. 

Support? The only people who need support are her family that’s it. Support for the country? Well, I guess this country has lost its **** mind the last week or so so maybe you have a point. 

38 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's only temporarily indulging the sexual predator, apparently. Out of respect for his mother. Like she's the patron saint of sex traffickers.

The immediate analogy I thought of is Michael’s treatment of Fredo after their mother’s death in the Godfather part 2.

Spoiler

A metaphorical fishing trip for Andrew coming up, maybe.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Support? The only people who need support are her family that’s it. Support for the country? Well, I guess this country has lost its **** mind the last week or so so maybe you have a point. 

The husband of a work colleague died a few months ago.  A few of us knew him by sight.  Most didn’t.  We sent a condolence card.  We sent supportive text messages.  We went to the funeral.  We made a donation to his favourite charity.  

Some people might say that was over the top.  But its a show of support to the living.   Whether we like it or not, any outsider would look at the UK at the moment and conclude the population has suffered a massive loss. Biden lowering flags and attending the funeral is no different to what I did for my colleague.  It’s just a larger scale. 

• Like 1

Â