• Wesley
    • Grealish
    • El Ghazi (Jota 45)
    • Guilbert (Targett 66)
    • Kodjia (Lansbury 73)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

7 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Smith will be going nowhere ..... guaranteed. He is part of a long term plan and if that plan starts badly with relegation (I don't believe it will FWIW) then he WILL still be manager next season. You are wasting your time wishing for a managerial change !

Great to hear there is a long term plan. 

When do we start implementing it BTW?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Smith in post match interview: “I was angry with the players because they were poor in the first half”

a) who’s accountable for the team’s performance, Mr Coach?

b) how did things go in the 2nd half once you had told them they were poor?

He's as soft as butter i think. 

6 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Smith will be going nowhere ..... guaranteed. He is part of a long term plan and if that plan starts badly with relegation (I don't believe it will FWIW) then he WILL still be manager next season. You are wasting your time wishing for a managerial change !

You are wrong. Another couple of performances like recent ones at Villa Park and he will get 'murdered 'by the crowd. He will walk away if he has any pride at all ( and fearing his own personal safety ), very sad as he is a decent man way out of his depth. Fat Sam please, you don't have to like him but he is our only hope to stay up.

• Haha 1

Motm, is an exercise in futility. I mean, who cares. This team needs some urgent surgery. It boggles the mind how we have deteriorated since the decent performance lat Old Trafford. We either adjust the mentality and develop a more positive approach, or we are in danger of sleepwalking towards the Championship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Utterly pathetic. But the damning thing is, did anyone honestly expect any different? Did anyone honestly we think we'd go into this and do anything other than lose and play shit?

thats the main thing.....this now has a air of inevitablity about it, that I have seen before.

We will now see, what the Board has in mind.

• Do we stay with him and go down( which i thinks is likely, unless a massive turn around occurs, from I don't know where)
  • Do we change manager in an effort to stay up, but still possibly go down.

If there is a chance of staying up for any team, you have to have fight.....if you haven't like us, I don't know how any manager is going to do it....its gone on too long unchecked,  I fear

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I like Dean Smith, however the thing that worries me most is the fact that we are still making the same mistakes as we did in week 1 of the season.  In a nutshell, we cannot defend and that is what will get us relegated.  We do not have the legs for a high press, we do not have the discipline or strength for two banks and on the transition we are woeful.  I don’t know who if anyone is doing the “defending when disorganised” drills but teams cut through us like we are not there.

At the very least, we need to work on our defensive solidity.  What’s the saying,?  “attackers win you games, defenders win you championships”.  We will go down unless we find a way to defend.

For me, the club is bigger than any individual, throw the chequebook/budget at Poch or Rafa.  We simply cannot gamble with the clubs future, we need an established coach with proven “big pressure” pedigree

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Graham t said:

This is Lerner and Lambert Mark 2. We are not just losing we are getting hammered. The answer is obvious really. Smith has to go. He wasted £140 million on sub-standard players (Heaton being the exception). It would be insanity to give him anymore money I don't expect the board to sack him, they were the idiots who extended his contract when we were hovering around the relegation zone.

This is the depressing thing. I actually thought we had decent owners, but I think they're a couple of clowns too. Why give an unproven manager who wasn't exactly doing well (we were 16th or 17th) a 4 year contract? They maybe could have done it at the end of the season IF he kept us up. I fear we may have no better men in charge than we had 4 years ago and that is worrying. 

12 minutes ago, macandally said:

I like Dean Smith, however the thing that worries me most is the fact that we are still making the same mistakes as we did in week 1 of the season.  In a nutshell, we cannot defend and that is what will get us relegated.  We do not have the legs for a high press, we do not have the discipline or strength for two banks and on the transition we are woeful.  I don’t know who if anyone is doing the “defending when disorganised” drills but teams cut through us like we are not there.

At the very least, we need to work on our defensive solidity.  What’s the saying,?  “attackers win you games, defenders win you championships”.  We will go down unless we find a way to defend.

For me, the club is bigger than any individual, throw the chequebook/budget at Poch or Rafa.  We simply cannot gamble with the clubs future, we need an established coach with proven “big pressure” pedigree

I think we all want it to work for him......but you summimg up is spot on.

I have no idea what the owners are thinking, so I have no idea of the outcome.

I have to be honest, I didn't see coming this " rabbit in the headlights" from Dean.....I am staggered we are in this situation, sure I felt it would be a struggle and 17th would be ok.....but this is like armageddon.

I watch when we win games and cringe at some of our play, but stay silent for the obvious reasons......This team can't just not defend, it now can't score particularly from the front men.....but the most damning thing of all is, they simply can't gain the initiative in a match so the former traits are just waiting to happen the pitch craft is turgid.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Smith failed to get results from so-called 'tougher' games but now it's clear as daylight he can't inspire wins against teams in and around us either. I've felt for weeks he's out of his depth, in fact even when we were above the relegation zone I wasn't confident he was good enough when we gave teams like Brighton and Norwich 20+ shots against us. He's not adaptable, players have gone backwards under him, he places misguided faith in his £22m striker who was clearly a waste of money, he doesn't seem to have any tactics based on opposition but plays the same system every game. We are stuck in a rut like we were last season when Grealish was out, only this time we're at the bottom in a tougher league and don't have time to turn things around. 

The fact Smith has squandered £140m on the squad to be this poor tells me he doesn't deserve any more money to throw around and we have to change the manager, as well as the coaching team who clearly aren't good enough. As one poster said, yes we're not packed with individual quality but we should be doing better than we are and certainly shouldn't be losing games like today, particularly against 10 men. It's time for Smith to go, he'll find another job at a Championship club as that is his level, we need to go for someone who can keep us up. It's between Rafa and Fat Sam for me, both wouldn't play a nice style and it won't be pretty but they'll toughen the side up and might do enough to keep us up. We'll need to back them in January as best we can too. It's our only hope now I think. 

What makes you think he squandered the money!  I suspect Smith bought Konsa. Mings. El Ghazi and Suso definitely initiated wesley, marvelous, Luiz and Engels. 

Smith also wanted maupay and benrahema. If all the above is true why blame Smith?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skell said:

What makes you think he squandered the money!  I suspect Smith bought Konsa. Mings. El Ghazi and Suso definitely initiated wesley, marvelous, Luiz and Engels. 

Smith also wanted maupay and benrahema. If all the above is true why blame Smith?

who paid 14 mill for targett?

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Poor stuff. 

But think it's time to get in reinforcements and just work work work. Talking about a new manager now is just silly.  Deano needs time. 

Pointless persisting with him - our only hope of escape is to get rid now 

50 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Dean smith will Not be here in a months time never mind next season - the board may have egg on their face but will admit the inevitable - it’s almost over for Dean and will be over in the next fortnight . 

Edited by Eastie

Â