• Wesley
    • Grealish
    • El Ghazi (Jota 45)
    • Guilbert (Targett 66)
    • Kodjia (Lansbury 73)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/12/19 at 23:59

5 minutes ago, jim said:

Time to do what exactly? We have been getting progressively worse every week. We are devoid of any kind of plan and tactics. 

I fear he has lost the players, they aren’t playing with any of the intensity and enthusiasm we saw early this season. The longer Smith spends with them the worse they get. 

Developing and getting it right takes time. It's no linear curve of progression. We saw this last season, when we like so many teams had a slump and we ended up on a record breaking winning run. That is football for you. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Beyond awful

Said it in the match thread, we made changes to combat the festive season yet watford outrun us from the kick off with the same side they've played 3 times in a week

This is just like villa in the 3 years under Lambert, same team same style same old shit every week

sadly,There is a real similarity.

• Like 1

The writing was on the wall even on this board before the game. We'd just won Norwich, and yet nobody believed in us. Nobody. 

With the way we played neither did Smith. So, a very predictable result, even if it came after some unbelievably poor decisions and atrocious play.

We were half-dead before the game, how do get back up after the way it ended? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Utterly pathetic. But the damning thing is, did anyone honestly expect any different? Did anyone honestly we think we'd go into this and do anything other than lose and play shit?

I would expect us to be competitive against sides around us yes. If we don't we'll be relegated, not rocket science.

Disappointing is an understatement but Smith won't be sacked. He just signed a new contract.

Need reinforcements in January desperately. 

• Like 1

What the hell was Heaton doing for the first goal? And why didnt El-Mohamady at least try and get back in. 

Grealish has to be played in the centre with two defensive midfielders. The two DM’s should not be allowed forwards at all. We need to shut up shop but we just kept giving away chances.

Despite what the commentator said their 3rd goal should never have stood because Grealish was fouled by the guy who crossed the ball in. After that it was over. Luiz man why you gotta push the guy you did the hard work. 

We lack footballing intelligence. Unfortunately Smith bought these donkeys. Even a point today would have been useful.  What today proves is we need to play with either AEG or Trezeguet and keep Grealish in the centre. 

I think Grealish might wanna leave because it’s draining being the only one who looks like scoring. 

As for Smith unless we get Marcelo Gallardo (huge risk) or someone like Pochettino / Sampaoi who demand high intensity and hard work (we lack this) Benitez would make us very hard to beat but boring. think we have to stick with Smith. It’s harsh yes but we haven’t improved as I hoped we would.

The last game against Norwich was a positive for me as he made the changes in formation to be a little more solid and functional but today he reverted to type. 

Would I sack him? Yes but only if someone who is better than him comes in. Is anyone available for that? Then no because I cant see Pochettino etc wanting to come unless he was promised huge funds immediately. 

However, on the subject of football matters...

Presuming Smith signs four players to strengthen our first eleven they need to be so good to just play without having to wait three months for them to get up to speed.

Those players cost money...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I'm a big advocate for giving the managers time, and will never join the Smith Out brigade just because we've had a bad month or two.

But there are little signs of things that look unforgivable from Smith's perspective, and can't be excused as "teething troubles":

• Douglas Luiz man marking Deeney on set pieces... okay we have a zonal system, so our best headers are covering zones, and then a few players are left to man mark... I get that. But Luiz on Deeney is an unbelievable mismatch.
  • Elmo constantly showing Deulofeu inside onto his stronger right foot. Surely as a full back you get some video clips / a dossier to look at, and some basic defensive guidelines for how to deal with the opposition wingers?
  • Heaton seemingly unaware that Deeney always drills penalties down the middle. Again, this is a basic preparation thing. Did he not do it?
  • Grealish being stuck out on the left for most of the match, when he was clearly not influencing proceedings at all. That could have been changed at any point, we had the players to mix it up.

There were some individual errors on top of that, and I think the 3-0 scoreline is harsh, whatever people will say. For most of the first half we were giving away some territory and possession, but we weren't giving away good chances - the 4-4-1-1 shape was working. It was that spell towards the end of the first half where it all fell apart, and then some bad luck / individual mistakes (Targett's injury, Grealish's pass) after the red card made the scoreline look much worse than it needed to be.

But still, it was a performance meriting a 2-1 loss at best. Dean needs to explain why we keep conceding goals on set pieces, and why we allow teams to remove Jack from the equation so easily.

(P.S. I also see the similarity with Lambert. Pains me to say this.)

He needs to take responsibility for  choosing a team which puts the opposition under no threat with no cohesion, at all. 

Isn't it blindingly obvious that premier league team need pace as well as ability.  That middle 4 selection was criminal. No el ghazi,   trez or Guilbert.  We never look like scoring. Awful

Incredibly awful

Started with a poor starting XI

Couldnt pick a MOTM so just plumped for Heaton

Back four were sloppy, thought they had all the time in the world and hoofed the ball constantly

Midfield - Conor proves again why he’s better coming on as a sub, Lansbury just can’t cut it at this level and Luis has talent but again left it in the dressing room.

Attack - Jota should never have started, poor Jack is too weighed down carrying this team and Wes had another anonymous game.

El Ghazi and Kodjia made no difference whatsoever

we can blame a few things not going our way but we had almost 40 mins against 10 men, a team that were 2nd from the bottom and they were far and away the better team.

We have forgotten how to attack, how to defend, how to pass a ball.

we have looked the second best team in each game against Southampton, Norwich and Watford who, as the three worst teams (not including us), is scary! And says how bad we are!

The board and management have some serious thinking to do now how to resolve this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Villa fans (or at least VT Villa fans). I despair of you lot. When the going gets tough, it's always the same: sack the manager, appoint the next Flavour of the Month, start the the three year cycle all over again. 

No. No, no, no. Dean Smith is still near the beginning of his Aston Villa career, not the end. And (assuming the owners aren't as hysterical as you lot) he's going nowhere. Nor is Jack Grealish.

Yes, that was a painful afternoon. We have key players out injured, and we need to strengthen in January. It's not going to be easy. But like Tony Benn said: Toughen up - bloody toughen up. Or go and 'support' another club. 

Spot on. We have had four games where we have been poor. Before that, although we weren't winning we looked good, and there was promise. That has evaporated in 4 games and everyone is now panicking. Dean needs to turn this around, and he needs to be given the time and patience to do it.  We have been down the sack the manager route season after season. It achieved nothing. Way to soon for the Smith out banners. 

Although predictably, certain posters are all over it. 😞 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Embarrassed by that performance.

We do not operate as a unit.

I love Deano but its not working, however, I don't want a sideways move, if he has to go then be it for a top quality Manager. 

Or a manager who knows the art of winning the inititaive and defending your position.

Is Pearson top class? or Chris Wilder?Top class....is Sean Dyche Top Class.....they just know what is required in the basics to survive.

I am not opposed to Top Class.....I j ust happen to think our problems are of a very fundamental nature.

If Pearson or Wilder was available you would get laughs on here from some quarters, such is the delusions of grandeur.

Nigel Pearson's impact does not surprise me.

• Like 1

Â