Pre match thread

roonst83

We should start:

Heaton
Guilbert   Konsa   Hause   Targett
          Luiz   Lansbury
El Ghazi     Hourihane     Grealish
              Kodjia

I'm leaving AEG in because of sheer lack of options, but he's been having stinkers recently. Grealish only nominally out wide, and interchanging with Hourihane so that he can come more central.

I know Lansbury starting didn't work against Sheff Utd, but there were other reasons for that. I think he's well suited to these kinds of matches, and makes fewer mistakes than Nakamba. I want Hourihane in a more attacking role so that he can look to score goals.

Playing Kodjia instead of Wesley hopefully gives us more threat in behind, but I'm not really endorsing Kodjia here. Just think away from home he might cause some problems and create useful pockets of space for the 3 attacking midfielders to exploit.

• Like 1

If there's any chance Mings is back then I'd seriously consider going 3-5-2. 

It's a formation made for our current squad. Our wingers are crap and our full backs can't defend, plus if there's one position we're strong in its centre back. 

Not ideal having Connor on the right of the attacking midfielders but he can do it. I'd go El Ghazi as the support man up front just for his extra pace vs someone like Jota.

--------------------- Heaton -------------------

-------- Konsa -- Mings -- Hause -----

Guilbert ---------- Luiz -------- Targett

----- Hourihane ----------- Grealish -----

-------------------------- El Ghazi --------------

-------------------- Wesley ---------------------

If Mings is fit I think I'd push Hause out to left back. Alternatively, given how soft we are in centre-mid....could Mings play DM? Decent on the ball and a presence in an area we are desperately lacking in authority.

Kodjia to start instead of Wes, but we know it won't happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably one of the `easy' teams we have to beat to stave off relegation.

I suspect they think the same of us.

I am not confident of getting anything here, my early season optimism has somewhat evaporated.

Hourihane must replace Nakamba. Guilbert must replace El Mohamady. Unfortunately we do not have a credible replacement for Wesley, but reluctantly Kodjia should be given a go.

How the management thought we could survive in the PL with the forwards we have is beyond me.

Like all games in this league, it will be another tough afternoon where you have to earn the right to play first and foremost against a Pearson team.  Make no mistake, they will kick us about (especially Jack) in the opening stages.  However, they do have danger men in Deulofeu, Deeney, Pereyra etc.  No idea who’s fit for them though? 

If we have Mings fit, I would like to see the following 532 or 352 and see if we can look a little more solid:

Heaton

Konsa     Mings    Hause

Guilbert                                                      Targett

Luiz

Lansbury               Hourihane

Grealish

Kodjia

However, Smith won’t change from the 433 formation, so I expect to see this:

Heaton

Guilbert        Konsa              Hause       Taylor

Nakamba   

Luiz                Hourihane

AEG                    Wesley               Grealish

This will be our last game of the year and the last game in our run of three games against teams, that had been below us at the start of it. We need to win this one, or at the very least to avoid defeat. A win would take us 8 points above our hosts, with a superior goal difference to boot. It might also take us out of the bottom three for the New Year, with West Ham entertaining Leicester on the same day.

Our last and only ever win in our 9 visits to Watford, was three visits ago back in 1999. Overall, we have won 6 and have drawn 5 of the 18 league games, that there has been between the two clubs, since their first meeting in 1969. Just win this one for us Villa!    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

This will be our last game of the year and the last game in our run of three games against teams, that had been below us at the start of it. We need to win this one, or at the very least to avoid defeat. A win would take us 8 points above our hosts, with a superior goal difference to boot. It might also take us out of the bottom three for the New Year, with West Ham entertaining Leicester on the same day.

Our last and only ever win in our 9 visits to Watford, was three visits ago back in 1999. Overall, we have won 6 and have drawn 5 of the 18 league games, that there has been between the two clubs, since their first meeting in 1969. Just win this one for us Villa!    

Last game of the decade!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If we play even remotely like we did yesterday, they will utterly, comprehensively, absolutely and overwhelmingly... batter us. 

I don't even know what changes to make to better us. Three centre backs might work, dropping Nakamba and Trezeguet, who I genuinely think made yesterday seem like 13 players against 9, is an absolute must. There just seems to be zero improvement week on week, unless Jack has a worldie, we're ****.

Sweet jesus, this is a depressing post.

As such, I'll go Villa 3-1. Wesley will be made my Fantasy Team Captain and I'm bringing in El Ghazi for goals assists from his guaranteed thrilling performance. Oh, Hause in at CB for clean sheet points and a goal from a corner.