Pre match thread

roonst83

Hard to call this game. I’d say Watford are the clear favourites but maybe their own fans would say the opposite.

Was it Smith or Bruce who said last season that he regretted not changing the team with a short space between games? Although, I don’t think that there will be many changes, maybe the following:

Fred-Elmo

Hourihane-Nakamba

Jota-Trezeguet

Kodjia-Wesley

Although as Kodjia never got any minutes in place of a clearly knackered Wesley yesterday, I wonder if Wes will start again.

I think some are overrating Watford they're where they are in the table for a reason, and whilst they've just had a couple of good results they've also had some fortune in those games. If we play anywhere near as good as we're capable of playing then it really is a game we should be winning and failure to do so will be a missed opportunity. Hopefully we see a good performance and get the three points.

28 minutes ago, useless said:

I think some are overrating Watford they're where they are in the table for a reason, and whilst they've just had a couple of good results they've also had some fortune in those games. If we play anywhere near as good as we're capable of playing then it really is a game we should be winning and failure to do so will be a missed opportunity. Hopefully we see a good performance and get the three points.

They're already better with Pearson who doesn't get enough credit as architect of Leicester PL winning team

• Like 1

The  bookies have us 3-1 to win this which says a lot about how our form is perceived at the moment.

This is a must not lose game.A draw wouldn’t be a bad result keeping them 6 points behind us.

i hope he doesn’t risk Mings if he isn’t ready.

1-1 Wesley for us and Deeney for them.

I believe that Watford have one of the oldest teams in the league whereas we have one of the youngest. Surely that could work in our favour after such a short space in between matches? Watford have also been utter rank for most of 2019. If we can start strongly and put them under early pressure I think 3 points is there for the taking. Come on you Villa boys!!!!!

I can see nothing but a real bullying and a loss.

I think Smith will start Hourihane in place of Marvellous and we'll not no attacking sub when he gets steamrollered along with everyone except Grealish.

Essential we bring Fred G in to help with Deulofeu. 

Play conservatively first 20 mins, don't concede and ease into the game.

Hold the **** ball up Wesley.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

1-1. Two games in three days is ridiculous.  We play 3 games for the entire month of March. Well maybe four if we beat Leceister.

It's always like this unless xmas is on a weekend. Then the game inbetween Boxing and NYD usually gets cut I think.

Really all premier leagues games should be on Sunday like the football league are doing. Then you have 3 day gaps like in most weeks during the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Pretty sure you've been saying for weeks they'll stay up even when they could barely win a game under Quique.

There are good and bad times to play teams in the season. Playing Man. United or Arsenal now is obviously better than March or April when they might be on 4-5 match winning streak.

This is Watford's best moment of the season, they've taken 4 points from two tough games and are playing well under the new manager. They'll be expecting to beat us so we need to match that desire from them given the importance to us.

I've been saying that there's a danger that they will find their form from last season and pull away like Everton look like doing, not that they will definitely survive. As it is they're currently nowhere near the team they have been in previous seasons, against Manchester United they were very lucky to be pretty much gifted both their goals and we shouldn't fear teams just because they've managed to draw with Sheffield United. The time for excuses is over now, it's time to start winning some games other than the ones in which we're favorites to do so.

• Like 1

Heaton, Grealish, and a moment of magic from Hourihane. That is our recipe.

As for the others, I don't know. Our defense looks awfully underwhelming, even if Hause/Konsa played well Thursday. Let's hope they continue that way.

Maybe I’m being mad, but I’d try a 4-4-1-1 with our fullbacks playing as wide midfielders: 

Heaton
Hause 
Engels
Konsa
El Mohamady
Targett
Hourihane
Luiz
Guilbert
Grealish
El Ghazi

Hause and El Mohamady sure us up defensively and Targett and Guilbert are both natural wide players who like to get forward and cross. They can’t be much worse than our current wingers. 

Ive put El Ghazi up top as I still think, for all his downfalls, gets into some good goal scoring positions.

Will never happen though.