Pre match thread

roonst83

Just now, Digavilla said:

If we can keep Deulofeu & Deeney quiet we will win , but won’t be easy. They were all over Sheffield Utd & were unlucky .. Cmon Villa ! 

Unlucky? Their keeper made 2 unbelievable saves to get them a point. 

This is going to be a tough one. We are playing terrible and have an awful striker playing every game. They seem to be a bit rejuvenated. 

Just don't lose. A point is fine here today. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just don't lose. A point is fine here today. 

In isolation, I agree. The circumstances make this look like quite a difficult game.

Roll back a week though, and consider only getting 4 points from our run of 3 games against the 3 other weakest teams in the division.

• Like 1

I want to see us play positive attacking football with passion and energy. Use 14 players effectively to get at Watford for 90 minutes, if we do then there's another three points for the taking. We aren't sufficiently reliable as a defensive unit, so let's get back to the simple plan of scoring more goals than the opposition.

It's up to us Dean! UTV!

On 27/12/2019 at 11:37, TheStagMan said:

Jesus Christ. Come on guys. This will not be a walk-over for Watford. Cagey game and I recon a 1-2 win for Villa.

Please never let that name darken our door again. 

• Haha 3

I think this will be a draw in all likelihood, even a 0-0... both teams will likely be too scared to lose so will batten down the hatches. Barring some individual brilliance from Jack or Conor I think we’ll draw. Tbh, as boring as it would be, 0-0 would be just fine, but I think we can win if we concentrate on dominating that midfield.

Will be really interesting to see what formation we play. Last game we switched to a somewhat 4-2-3-1/4-5-1, we did similar changes when we were in a bad run last year. The trusted 4-3-3 that we use to play is adventurous and fun to see, it gives us the goal galore games that we have witnessed over the last year. But it is also a bit naive in the PL and quite risky. Even the top teams often play with two holding midfielders. Thinking that we with unexperienced and defensively not so strong players can play with only one holding midfielder and at the same time having both full backs and the other two midfielders high up the pitch is like playing roulette. That formation hinges on us scoring more goals than the opposition. It worked last year when we had players who were among the best in the league and Tammy Abraham who made goals for himself. With Wesleys lack of goals and our other attacking players bar Grealish being average PL players, or at least not so far having proved to be better, it's imo too much of a gamble to play 4-3-3.

Playing the 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 will make us less fluid, less attractive football, more boring, a bit Steve Bruce-ish, but in the situation we are I think that's what we should be aiming at. Keep tight and grind out results.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't like team.

Elmo keeps place. Trez + Ghazi out.

Hourihane, Luiz, Lansbury, Grealish, Jota all start. Presume Grealish back to LW? 

Wes starts.

To be fair Trez + Ghazi have been utter dog shit for weeks. Would be better off playing me and I would be unable to run after the first 5 minutes so Jota and Lansbury will be a significant upgrade I would say. 

He damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. 

He's given it a go of changing it around, let's hope it pays off.  To put the last team out would be a disaster.