Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Led Zeppelin were sloppy and tedious until they released their fourth album. 

Nah, they were a mix of tedious and brilliant all the way through, every album. I keep meaning to make my definitive LZ playlist (it wouldn't be the same as the existing 'best of' albums). My favourite album would be Houses of the Holy

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And also a massive bell end at the same time but it is at the same time its not one or the other 

Makes it very hard to appreciate him personally, I do think he's slightly overrated and I don't get the love for dark twisted fantasy but then im not an out and out hip hop lover 

The dissect podcast stuff for him is really good, I love his ability to sample, that side of hip hop is something I enjoy so when you know where it comes from and what he's done it's brilliant 

Oh he’s an absolute grade A dickhead. Don’t get me wrong. 

But he is a genius 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Routinely quoted as their most hated and divisive track. I love it. 

The rock heads were flummoxed by the tropical rhythm. 

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I was a massive Zeppelin fan and it was one of the most disappointing things ever, when I found out they had nicked most of their stuff off other artists.

When I saw them live, I thought Page using a bow on his guitar was pretentious wankery!

These days I mostly like them for purely nostalgic reasons.

I was amused to find that when  Robert Plant was on Desert Island Discs recently, the one record he chose above all others was by Mario Lanza.

I have no problem at all with the covering of someone else's material. What I can never forgive LZ for is the outright theft and passing those songs off as their own. I wish I had said something to Plant when I sat next to him at a bar once.

I should mention that I was a crazy Led Zep head who had all their albums, read the biography and watched the film. 

Agree with Mike that Houses is the best one.

Of course, if Zeppelin credited those blues guys songs, the royalties would've gone straight into the record label president's bank account! Thieves everywhere.

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'll try and get my wife to tell him when she sees him from time to time (at work, get your heads out the gutter).

What does she do for work?

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

What does she do for work?

She's a teacher; he has previously funded the music department at the same institution and has been known to appear there, though I think the department is actually being closed.

• Sad 2

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Air travel is far too cheap and should cost substantially more. 

My work definitely agrees with this and does everything it can to pay more 😂

I had an "emergency" meeting in Bristol Tuesday, my return flights were £850, my parents were here at the weekend, their return flights were £35, no one in my office bats an eyelid 

How Ryanair do that £35 flight is mind boggling but with me living abroad its not something I'll complain about 

I haven’t been on a plane in over six years, I don’t really have a frame of reference what a return ticket should cost. 

You could tell me London to Glasgow is £25, you could tell me it’s £150. From the  post above it does sound like either is quite conceivable.

Timing and airline makes a huge difference but the biggest difference seems to be airport 

If you flew to "London" Stansted its way cheaper for some reason, if I lived within 30 mins of Stansted I'd have seen half of Europe by now

Stansted + Ryanair doesn't make sense - punched in a date of 30th September in to skyscanner and clicked search everywhere and as a one way flight you can go to plovdiv, marseille, toulouse, Milan, turin, Dublin, knock, Luxembourg, eindhoven, Oslo, poznan, Bucharest, santander or Stockholm for less than a tenner - less than £20 is 50+ places 

On 21/04/2022 at 20:29, mjmooney said:

Au contraire. The Joy of Kenneth™ lies in finding new (ideally never before seen) pictures. 

That's true

image.png.f494acefb3838b77d277a716eac911f5.png

• Like 2

On 24/04/2022 at 22:48, Stevo985 said:

Oh he’s an absolute grade A dickhead. Don’t get me wrong. 

But he is a genius 

Yeah, he’s a genius, 100%. Got an amazing ear for samples and hooks, and constantly trying to do new things.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

If you flew to "London" Stansted its way cheaper for some reason

That's the danger-money factor of having to be that close to Luton.

5 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

That's the danger-money factor of having to be that close to Luton.

London Stansted isn't particularly close to Luton. London Luton, on the other hand, is 👍

Edited by picicata
  • Like 1

Â