• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Taylor (Target 61)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 69)
    • Davis (Wesley 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/19 at 22:59

For me, getting results or a point against the better teams in the league dictates how high up the league you finish, against spurs and arsenal we've thrown away 4 points from winning positions through basic errors, shit defending and VAR not doing its job

Games like today, against opposition who are our "real" level dictate whether you stay in the league, to go 2-1 with 8 minutes left and conceding 50 seconds later is just the sort of shit we had for the last 7 years we were in the prem, 

In game management is a problem at the moment, most of our players look knackered after 70 minutes, watching Wesley I can't believe we went into the season with him, Davies and kodjia as our strikers

It's going to be a long season, we've shown enough to prove we can stay up, I think we'll be in the relegation zone or around it all season, today sucks but always remember 

You could be a small heath fan 

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It weren’t that we played badly. We were also playing a decent team , BUT we do not do enough with the ball, and have no killer instinct at all. I do believe we are a hard team to beat though, but too many draws against mid table-bottom half clubs will cost us. We are desperate for a striker. 

Burnley are effective at making games scrappy and picking up points but to say they are ‘decent’ is wrong. Most boring team in the league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blunther said:

Yeah. I think Grealish left the winger too open initially but **** me, Taylor what are you doing mate?!

honest to god, if Targett is injured now for the next game we need Hause at LB, Taylor is a total joke.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Burnley are effective at making games scrappy and picking up points but to say they are ‘decent’ is wrong. Most boring team in the league.

They will finish mid table. To do that in this league you have to be decent. Overall they are more battle hardened for this league than we are. They have got off to a good start this season, and we’re decent last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Can't see us staying up. Wesley is bloody terrible.  A big cock ul not signing anoyher firward. 

unless we have a change in thinking and style we won't.

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

This . 

We are not cut off, and it’s going to be very tight down there this season. I still think we are waiting to see whether we are  good enough for this league or not, because imo the jury is still out after the few games we’ve had. You could make an argument for and against. I’m kind of stuck on the fence and I think a lot of other fans are the same. 

I think the side could have benefitted from one or two veteran Premier League signings. Gareth Barry-types.

• Haha 1

So disappointing to concede 2 sloppy goals to a team with no attacking intent and indeed no attacks. Scored pretty much each chance they got.  Taylor massively at fault for their second. 

Overall we looked good though and showed we can incorporate Hourihane. 

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, blunther said:

That VAR call killed me off. And other people I think judging by the flat atmosphere 1-0 up in the second half. I can't abide it. I didn't celebrate the second/first. If we go down I'm quite happy to be done with that shit. 

I thought that after five minutes of gloom it actually helped the atmosphere.

Having said that I think it’s without doubt the worst idea in the history of football.( as implemented).

Not just our games, I’ve seen most games the feeble good it’s done is massively outweighed by the amount it’s spoilt.

It’s absolute rubbish. I’ve not seen our goal back but nobody in the ground near me had any concern it might not have stood. Great for TV viewers... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think it depends on the context.....They are robust and durable, but they are also quick in the tackle and quick to win the ball.

in contrast, we are trying to play football, but as noble as that it its also bordering on Naive.....We are not good enough to trump these teams with our style and are subsequently being physically pulled all over the place, to a point that after 70 minutes we are shot.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

A mate at the game reckons, we were good first half but poor second, Hourihane did nothing throughout, Wesley worked hard but was ineffective and Davis looked better once on and deserves a start. 

I think Wesley has kept his place because he needs time and as another poster has said they have to try to keep his confidence up and hope he improves. It’s tricky for any coach to drop a record signing. However perhaps the kid needs a break and reset himself. Davis deserves a go but the same applies to him, he’ll need time and patience. There’ll be people calling for him to be dropped the first time he misses a chance. We’re a young, relatively inexperienced time that haven’t played together for long and need handling with a certain amount of care. Throwing them and for that matter the head coach under the bus at the first sign of trouble would be disastrous. 

Until January we have what we have and need to be positive and support the team, through thick and thin. We are football supporters not film critics. We can judge, but still be supportive. We’re not perfect but people saying we’re going down after 7 games is pretty poor and really doesn’t help. The majority of people felt that 17th would be success but now some seem to be amazed that we’re struggling. Did they expect us to get half of the points in the first few games then tail off?

Dave you make some good points, I think its daft to think of throwing anyone under the bus, but some of the flaws are glaring......It galls me at times to see how teams like Burnley get points, through bully boy tactics and referee's let them get away with it.

but the sad fact is they are stronger than us and well grilled at closing down and being quicker to the ball.....Its clear we have some players better than theirs, but their work rate as a team and ability to scrap for 90 odd minutes is something we don't have as well as them.

We cannot simply go in to these games thinking we can out score teams......We are currently entering a phase similar to the time under RDM where we just kept conceding after 70/80

We have to put a stop to that and close a game down.

• Like 1

Same old Villa same old Smith dominate 1st half then flap it in the 2nd. At least we played in burnleys side of the pitch for the 2nd half and it wasnt backs to the wall.

what the hell was wesley doing lay on the ground for 10mins in the 2nd half?

I thought he'd swallowed his tounge.

Mings seemed to put him in the recovery position.

This was the only thjing wesley contributed today. I bet smith regrets not taking a punt on Jay Rodriguez

12 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Same old Villa same old Smith dominate 1st half then flap it in the 2nd. At least we played in burnleys side of the pitch for the 2nd half and it wasnt backs to the wall.

what the hell was wesley doing lay on the ground for 10mins in the 2nd half?

I thought he'd swallowed his tounge.

Mings seemed to put him in the recovery position.

This was the only thjing wesley contributed today. I bet smith regrets not taking a punt on Jay Rodriguez

I thought the same at the time, despite me not liking the bloke.

However, we had Ashley Westwood and said he was lightweight......its mainly to do with what the manager is asking and training them for, its obvious, Burnley are up for the scrap first and the rest later, but to be fair they all won most headers and were first to loose balls, so its more than just fight.....They are more battle Hardened for this league, but we have to find some of it too.

We are not quite good enough to out football a team.....so I think some compromise thinking needs to be done at BMH.....else we WILL be cut adrift.

• Like 1

Overall, we had some good moments, but their goals derived from scrapping as opposed to guile.

Their second, I would say would be up for a major area of concern on Monday at BMH an Inquest even......Its well documented the time to prioritise to get your challenges in, is directly after you have scored.....That was a text book Howler.

Realistically, this year was always going to be difficult and I know wishing for anything else is just me expressing deluded entitlement, but why oh why, couldn't our momentum continue. It just feels so typically Villa to look promising and then kill ourselves.

We ALWAYS do.

In that way, last year felt surreal because the glory was delivered and reality just never interfered, but the dream is well and truly over now. Fully awake and nothing but a long hard slog from here on.

Joy.

Â