• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Taylor (Target 61)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 69)
    • Davis (Wesley 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/19 at 22:59

Why are there no VAR replays of the Hourihane offside for the McGinn goal showing the lines?

There was a defender on the far side of the pitch who must have been mighty close to playing him onside. 

I reckon it was another one of those where the gap was almost impossible to tell and I wonder if they are shying away from releasing the footage due to the controversy now. 

Villa are certainly being consistent in almost getting all the points but for short periods of the game where they let the opposition in.  Spurs, Palace ( poor decision), Bournemouth, Arsenal and now Burnley have all taken points back where Villa looked on course to get more from the game.

Smith et al have got to somehow get more steel into protecting leads / not allowing teams a start ( Bournemouth) and you will comfortably climb the table. If they do not then confidence and belief, especially towards the end of games will suffer. Unfortunately the ultimate schoolboy error on Saturday in getting back in front with only 11 minutes to go and then letting them equalize straight away.🙄

Fans have to believe that they can do this and the wins will come.

Are you playing McGinn further forward in midfield as he seems to be having more chances / goals now?

Keep the faith.  :flag:

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

On 28/09/2019 at 20:25, terrytini said:

@OutByEaster?what a fantastic post.

As to the conundrum you pose, I’d say we are not struggling physically, we are struggling mentally. Not massively, but by 5%. And that’s enough.

All those little 5%s all over the pitch, mostly in Second Halves, mostly in the final 30 minutes.

Why was Mings tearing up the pitch in the 87th minute ? Why not do what he’s done for 95% of every game ? Why did Engels ping a 50 yard ball into touch in the 92nd minute ? Why not play the 5 yard ball to Gilbert that he’s done 95% of the time ?  Why does Jack shoot in the (85th ? minute) why not pass as he has done 95% of the time ? And so on.

Why those little lapses ? Because going from being in the Championship ( which means, especially in our last couple of months, you always have that extra second over your opponent) to being new boys in the Premier League is a jump. I don’t think it’s a physical jump ( I’ll bet any money these players are not tiring). It’s like a County Championship Batsman suddenly playing Test Matches. Instead of a bad ball to hit every Over, it’s one every four overs.

I think we are getting up to speed but aren’t there yet and Premier League teams will target that.

Secondly, but linked in that it’s the mental side of the game, I think we are lacking some nastiness. Id like a Robbie Savage in that side. Nakamba looks like he might be able to fulfill that role to a point. Why isn’t someone feigning injury shortly after our second ? Wasting time ? All that stuff.

And, though some mock the concept, we are indeed having no luck at all.

I see plenty to give encouragement.

Dean Smith refuted that claim today, when it was put to him.....just saying.

just to join in.......why do we not have a player near the half way line (when they have a corner) as an outlet ball to counter with?......that drags 2 of theirs out of the attack too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

just to join in.......why do we not have a player near the half way line (when they have a corner) as an outlet ball to counter with?......that drags 2 of theirs out of the attack too.

Agreed need a Vardy or a Calum Wilson type striker we can just leave up field. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I don’t think he did.....

You haven’t posted a link so I’ve tried to see all reports the only one I can see remotely like that is he says “ there is no mental block”....which I agree with and isn’t what I said.

I quoted “5% here and there” ....and he references us switching off after the goal.

As I’ve tried to say - so have taken the trouble to restate now ! - I think “ physically tired etc” and “ mental block/ weakness” are rubbish.

Out muscled ( slightly) yes, and not 100% mentally sharp yes. Both fixable, both minor.

As for “ half way line man” at corners - we’ve not done it for years and years and years and for the life of me I don’t know why. Guy next to me is apoplectic about it every game 😂

17 hours ago, terrytini said:

I don’t think he did.....

You haven’t posted a link so I’ve tried to see all reports the only one I can see remotely like that is he says “ there is no mental block”....which I agree with and isn’t what I said.

I quoted “5% here and there” ....and he references us switching off after the goal.

As I’ve tried to say - so have taken the trouble to restate now ! - I think “ physically tired etc” and “ mental block/ weakness” are rubbish.

Out muscled ( slightly) yes, and not 100% mentally sharp yes. Both fixable, both minor.

As for “ half way line man” at corners - we’ve not done it for years and years and years and for the life of me I don’t know why. Guy next to me is apoplectic about it every game 😂

I thought he responded to a claim from a journalist about the drop off at the end of games as a mental thing and he refuted it.....maybe I'm not sure what you meant then.

I agree with out muscled ,particularly against certain teams, but I would say slightly more than slightly......but not minor IMO.....I think being out muscled is a key issue in any team.

I relation to a player up field at corners and free kicks .....so why don't we do it now?.....I know we haven't got Gabby, who used to exploit it.....but why not someone else.

Edited by TRO

On 28/09/2019 at 17:11, Lerner's Driver said:

Yes, but his replacement, who did well today, got injured, so we have to put up with the inevitable failure of any positive forward movement for as long as Targett is out. 

I'd rather see Hause playing there - he looked good at LB last season - good defensively and crosses were way better than anything Taylor can deliver!!

• Like 2

On 28/09/2019 at 17:12, MaVilla said:

We have thrown points away versus Burnley, Arsenal, Bournmouth, Palace, West Ham, 

How have we've thrown points away v Palace? Heroically defended for the whole of the second half with 10 men against 11 Palace players and The Ref before being robbed of a good equiliser. 

On 29/09/2019 at 11:25, villalad21 said:

Taylor was at fault, but. He was never going to win that aerial battle with Rodriguez.

He didn't need to win it necessarily.  He just needed to compete with Rodriguez so he didn't get a free header!!

• Like 3

On 29/09/2019 at 11:25, villalad21 said:

Taylor was at fault, but. He was never going to win that aerial battle with Rodriguez.

No, but he could have challenged and unsettled him.....it was **** poor.

On 28/09/2019 at 17:39, terrytini said:

Dont share the worries as regards Points...( I’ll take One Point per game -  8 points from 8 games if we beat Narch) still less those who have already given up(🙄) because the good football we play will bring wins as long as we improve the poor half hour.

Believe it or not, it’s still very very early days.....

My thoughts last week, my thoughts this week.

• Like 2

Â