• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Taylor (Target 61)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 69)
    • Davis (Wesley 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/19 at 22:59

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We were a Chris Wood away from winning that game at a canter.

I don’t know whether that’s a good or a bad thing. 

I rate Chris Wood, but not sure you are right.

Chris wood has Rodriguez and Barnes either side of him.....both are ratters and experienced guys in the art of pressing and managed to unsettle our players.....not so bad at scoring themselves either, but their game is closing down and winning the ball by combative tackling.....sadly Wesley did not have that either side of him, and didn't do much himself.

Don't get me wrong on the surface, Wes achieved very little today, but its not all him, I can assure you......Yes the ball needs to stick and it didn't, but it was more than just that.

Edited by TRO

Noticing what some may see as a contradiction ( if anyone bothered to read my inane drivel) I would clarify

I see our weakness ( we have several strengths by the way) as two fold

... not quite mentally sharp enough for 90 minutes

....not physical enough ( by which I don’t mean not fit enough, or too tired, I mean not Norman Hunter enough.)

Plenty time though, and I think our good football will see us triumph ultimately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I was going to say I concur, but I don’t agree we were outmanoeuvred tactically, I think we lack the player we needed to bring on.

I agree Terry....but the game changed when Rodriguez came on to join a 2 up front to make a 3.......and them 3 were ratters, not just numbers up front......Mings and Engels then had 3 to deal with.

It unsettled us.We could have done something to help.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Noticing what some may see as a contradiction ( if anyone bothered to read my inane drivel) I would clarify

I see our weakness ( we have several strengths by the way) as two fold

... not quite mentally sharp enough for 90 minutes

....not physical enough ( by which I don’t mean not fit enough, or too tired, I mean not Norman Hunter enough.)

Plenty time though, and I think our good football will see us triumph ultimately.

I could not agree with you more.

meanwhile....Surely someone like Konsa, could be groomed to play a midfield role, who we could bring on to help contain or see a game out or relieve tired legs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

meanwhile....Surely someone like Konsa, could be groomed to play a midfield role, who we could bring on to help contain or see a game out or relieve tired legs

Looking at our purchases I’m not sure Deano wants that type of player though. He seems very dedicated to playing footballers. He may see it as an area he needs to refine his thinking 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

To be honest Luiz and Nakamba in a DM/MC two should be able to cover that role?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It makes you wonder doesn't it?

We should have had a point against Palace, we should have had something against Arsenal, should have beaten West Ham and we absolutely should have won this one at a canter - we've got two points to show for those four games and it really could have been eight.

It makes you wonder if things balance themselves out - at the moment it certainly doesn't feel like it - if we tossed a coin and called heads it'd come up tails, if we tossed it again it'd roll down the drain. We were the better team today by a distance, in the first half particularly and we should have gone in two or three goals up at the break.

It's hard to talk too much about our shortcomings, because in truth we haven't had many over the last four games - yeah, we're blunt up front, Wesley isn't having a great time of it and we lack a bit of pace - but McGinn and Grealish and co, are creating chances, we're moving the ball around, making angles, hurting teams, heck we've got four goals in our last two games.

It's not even just that we're not defending well - we've not been great at the back today, with Mings looking a bit too relaxed following his stint with England, but we're not allowing many chances - not here, and not really in any of our recent games - it's just that when they come, teams are putting them away - seemingly every single time.

We've been the subject of outrageous refereeing thus far in this league, and today was no different, although at least today for once VAR only caused confusion, not disdain. By the time VAR had said its piece on our opener, most of us had finished celebrating and had no idea VAR were even looking at it - it's frustrating when "that goal from a while ago" gets chalked off, but if it was offside, then it was offside - VAR is reasonably good at that, so I'll take their word for it.

Today's refereeing let down came in the form of the absolute kicking their midfield were able to dish out to McGinn and Grealish - Jack Cork should have been booked three times in the first half, and there must have been another half a dozen challenges that you'd ordinarily see cards for - the one at the end on Grealish that did produce one could have been red - the result of that refereeing largesse will be writ large on the shins of John McGinn this evening. It's been like that all season and we need someone at the club to make a fuss - it'd be worth a touchline ban for John Terry to wake people up to this - the papers would listen to a controversial statement or two from the superstar coach and we might find a fairer approach - we need to do something, because at the moment we're being refereed out of this league and our best players are collecting scar tissue left right and centre.

It makes you wonder how we change it - we're playing well - we're outplaying our opposition and we're doing the right things - yes, there are weaknesses in the squad, but we're still winning games in every way except the one that actually counts - all the battles we win - all the wars we lose. Maybe it's a mental thing, maybe there's a little bit of us not being sure if we belong, or if we can do it at this level - but it doesn't look like it - we look good, we're playing good football. 

That's the thing, if we're playing well and not winning, what does that do to our confidence, what does that do to the fight in these players?  At the moment, these results are taking bites out of us, they're hurting and they're reducing us and our ambitions - it's so important we find a way to put an end to this ridiculous run, because we're not a bad side at all, we're doing alright - the table lies.

It's supposed to even out, it's supposed to reward you for your efforts, for your qualities, but right now, week in, week out, the game is finding ways to f*** us over and if our luck doesn't change soon, then we know where we're headed.

We've battered Burnley today - we looked twice the team they are - they're organised and willing, but we looked a class apart from them. I don't know what else to say. I'm baffled - we must have run over a troop of black cats belonging to a gypsy in a field of four leaf clover. Yes, Wesley isn't pulling up any trees, yes we've got no pace up front, yes we're not great at protecting a lead - but give us a fair go and we'll be more than okay. 

I can't find reasons, I can't find tactical changes or personnel changes, or problems with mentality - we're doing enough to get more points - we're just not getting the rub of the green - and if we don't find some luck that isn't bad luck soon, it makes you wonder if this just ain't our season.

Unlucky Villa.

Post of the year 👏👏

Burnley are a horrible, cynical anti-football side aren't they?

Wasting time from the 8th minute? You're having a laugh.

Constantly slowing the game down to stop it flowing. Only venturing forward when behind. Continually fouling.

We are learning lessons - time to show it. We need to be expecting and countering this kind of play to get results.

• Like 2

I think the realisation is dawning for a lot of people, myself included, that this team just somehow is not good enough to be winning football matches. It's frustrating because the football is easy on the eye and we do look good in spells, so it's obvious that they do have the ability to do it, but they just cannot keep it going for 90 minutes. Coupled with a string of bad refereeing calls over the season, becoming tired and sloppy towards the end of games and a striker who is a serious downgrade from Abraham and you have a team who look set for relegation. I think it will hurt less if I assume that's the case now, and if we stay up then it's a bonus.

Not even going to the Madrid derby cheered me up, as it was another frustrating draw. Can't seem to catch a break today...

We are playing some of the best football in the premier league that we have played for years.Our first goal against Arsenal last week was a work of art.

Unfortunately we are being out muscled and out thought at key times in games that is costing us wins.We either need to learn quickly some of the darker arts of how to close games out or we need to recruit some older more experienced premier league players in Jan.

I know we have a transfer policy of buying mostly young players who can be sold on but I think there needs to be some flexibility and some wise old heads may need to be recruited.

• Like 2

Didn't see the game but heard it from several different commentaries.

Obviously we should have more points on the table but the next two games are MASSIVE, Norwich away and Brighton at home. We must get at least four points to set us on our way, if not we might be bottom of the league should results not go our way!

If we can stay in sight of those around and above us come December and not be in the bottom three I would suspect we'll throw some money at a striker. We have to don't we?!

Keep the faith. UTV

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Should have won, game changed when targett went off for that rubbish

well.....Taylor made a poor attempt to challenge Rodriguez for the header......it was like a man against a boy....He was just left floundering in the air.

I would sooner play Hause if Targett is out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

At the end of the day in the past week we have scored 7 goals and won one game. Our much vaunted defence has been abysmal in the last 6 days.

spot on.

Taylor was woeful for the Rodriguez goal......and if Mings was marking Woods he lost him in the build up and the goal.

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It makes you wonder doesn't it?

We should have had a point against Palace, we should have had something against Arsenal, should have beaten West Ham and we absolutely should have won this one at a canter - we've got two points to show for those four games and it really could have been eight.

It makes you wonder if things balance themselves out - at the moment it certainly doesn't feel like it - if we tossed a coin and called heads it'd come up tails, if we tossed it again it'd roll down the drain. We were the better team today by a distance, in the first half particularly and we should have gone in two or three goals up at the break.

It's hard to talk too much about our shortcomings, because in truth we haven't had many over the last four games - yeah, we're blunt up front, Wesley isn't having a great time of it and we lack a bit of pace - but McGinn and Grealish and co, are creating chances, we're moving the ball around, making angles, hurting teams, heck we've got four goals in our last two games.

It's not even just that we're not defending well - we've not been great at the back today, with Mings looking a bit too relaxed following his stint with England, but we're not allowing many chances - not here, and not really in any of our recent games - it's just that when they come, teams are putting them away - seemingly every single time.

We've been the subject of outrageous refereeing thus far in this league, and today was no different, although at least today for once VAR only caused confusion, not disdain. By the time VAR had said its piece on our opener, most of us had finished celebrating and had no idea VAR were even looking at it - it's frustrating when "that goal from a while ago" gets chalked off, but if it was offside, then it was offside - VAR is reasonably good at that, so I'll take their word for it.

Today's refereeing let down came in the form of the absolute kicking their midfield were able to dish out to McGinn and Grealish - Jack Cork should have been booked three times in the first half, and there must have been another half a dozen challenges that you'd ordinarily see cards for - the one at the end on Grealish that did produce one could have been red - the result of that refereeing largesse will be writ large on the shins of John McGinn this evening. It's been like that all season and we need someone at the club to make a fuss - it'd be worth a touchline ban for John Terry to wake people up to this - the papers would listen to a controversial statement or two from the superstar coach and we might find a fairer approach - we need to do something, because at the moment we're being refereed out of this league and our best players are collecting scar tissue left right and centre.

It makes you wonder how we change it - we're playing well - we're outplaying our opposition and we're doing the right things - yes, there are weaknesses in the squad, but we're still winning games in every way except the one that actually counts - all the battles we win - all the wars we lose. Maybe it's a mental thing, maybe there's a little bit of us not being sure if we belong, or if we can do it at this level - but it doesn't look like it - we look good, we're playing good football. 

That's the thing, if we're playing well and not winning, what does that do to our confidence, what does that do to the fight in these players?  At the moment, these results are taking bites out of us, they're hurting and they're reducing us and our ambitions - it's so important we find a way to put an end to this ridiculous run, because we're not a bad side at all, we're doing alright - the table lies.

It's supposed to even out, it's supposed to reward you for your efforts, for your qualities, but right now, week in, week out, the game is finding ways to f*** us over and if our luck doesn't change soon, then we know where we're headed.

We've battered Burnley today - we looked twice the team they are - they're organised and willing, but we looked a class apart from them. I don't know what else to say. I'm baffled - we must have run over a troop of black cats belonging to a gypsy in a field of four leaf clover. Yes, Wesley isn't pulling up any trees, yes we've got no pace up front, yes we're not great at protecting a lead - but give us a fair go and we'll be more than okay. 

I can't find reasons, I can't find tactical changes or personnel changes, or problems with mentality - we're doing enough to get more points - we're just not getting the rub of the green - and if we don't find some luck that isn't bad luck soon, it makes you wonder if this just ain't our season.

Unlucky Villa.

OBE Its a good post as always and yes there are aspects of all our games that our play is good.....but it has a tone of melancholy and hard luck.....sadly, you make your own luck in this game.....We have to be more hard nosed.

We lost today, because in key positions we were out muscled, by their front 3.......Guilbert was out muscled for one and Taylor for another......we have to look deeper in to the performances.....Bad Luck is a dangerous thing to cling to, it smacks of excuses and we are better than that to use it......Right now we are not good enough at certain aspects of the game.....watch it back, it becomes clearer.

We have goals in us, which is something, despite the calls at Wes......IMO we have an issue with the physical side of the game and in the last 20 minutes it is more prevalent, because we have been battling it for 70 odd minutes in games.

We struggle to contain teams and are not as savvy at pressing as they are.....I noticed today many instances where they were first to the loose ball in the middle and showed more tenacity in securing it......Jack and John Work hard in doing it, but who else battles with any aplomb outside the 2 centre backs......In terms of battling qualities and physical prowess, we couldn't hold a candle to their front 3....they just battered their way back in to the game, through forceful play as opposed to guile.

Rodriguez just left off from when we played Albion Last Year.

....Despite the antics of the cheating so and so.

We have to wise up to this element of play and its no good us whingeing about it ,because no one outside B6 will listen......We have to deal with it.

Edited by TRO

Â