Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

Let's check in on what the American police are up to:

Police: Teen killed herself with gunshot through her mouth while hands cuffed behind back

'(KUTV) — According to the medical examiner's office in Virginia, a 19-year-old woman died from a gunshot wound through her mouth while her hands were cuffed behind her back. It was ruled a suicide.

The finding matched the account of Sarah Wilson's death by the Chesapeake Police Department that said she shot herself while officers were trying to detain her boyfriend.

Wilson was the passenger of a car pulled over by police on July 25, 2018. The 19-year-old's boyfriend, Holden Medlin, 27, was driving when they were stopped by two police officers, one patrol and one from narcotics. Separating the two from the car, one officer handcuffed Wilson while the other struggled to detain Medlin, who was reportedly combative and tried to flee the scene, as reported by WAVY in August.

While officers tried to get control of Medlin, Wilson was left alone and reportedly was able to get a gun, possibly from inside the car where she was a passenger, "contorted" her body and shot herself through the mouth while still wearing handcuffs, according to a police spokesman.

"She was handcuffed, and she managed to put a revolver in her mouth while handcuffed. That's what the investigator told me last night," the dead woman's mother Dawn Wilson told an ABC news station. "In all of her life I have never known of her to shoot a gun, own a gun, or even hold a gun."

Police were not able to explain how Wilson was able to get access to the gun and said it was not a police weapon. They reportedly tried to save Sarah Wilson's life after the gunshot but that she died at the location of the shooting.

Reports say one officer was wearing a body camera at the time of the stop but it was knocked off during the struggle with Medlin and turned off when it hit the ground. It was off during the shooting and did not capture the teen's death. After Medlin was detained, the camera was reattached and turned back on to record, police said but the Chesapeake Police Department declined to release the body camera footage.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Virginia confirmed to to WAVY that Wilson committed suicide and died from an "intra-oral gunshot wound."

Chesapeake police investigated the alleged suicide in July. A spokesman said the department concluded the investigation but declined to comment on the outcome.'

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/police-woman-killed-herself-with-gunshot-through-her-mouth-while-hands-cuffed-behind-back

What a series of unfortunate accidents! She managed to accidentally shoot herself in the mouth with her hands tied behind her back, the policeman's poorly-made bodycam failed him at just the moment he needed to exonerate him fully, and the police department lost the manual to the photocopier so they couldn't publish their vigorous investigation. Sad. 

• 2 months later...

A peaceful family friendly march through Caernarfon yesterday. Absolutely no trouble from start to finish.

The march went through a pinch point in the old city wall. So that's where this guy set up his camera and got every marcher on film.

EAi2yF-X4AEyRr4?format=png&name=small

Now I guess they just need to organise everybody on the march to send in a subject access request.

EAgDSxqXkAIle_a?format=jpg&name=small

• 2 weeks later...

Britain’s most senior counter-terrorism officer has said the police and security services are no longer enough to win the fight against violent extremism, and the UK must instead improve community cohesion, social mobility and education.

In his first major interview since taking up his post last year, the Metropolitan police assistant commissioner Neil Basu told the Guardian that up to 80% of those who wanted to attack the UK were British-born or raised, which strongly indicated domestic social issues were among the root causes.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This one's got a brain.

Giving a personal view on the best ways to reduce terrorism, Basu said: “Policies that go towards more social inclusion, more social mobility and more education are much more likely to drive down violence … than all the policing and state security apparatus put together. It is much more likely to have a positive effect on society.

Grauniad

Get rid of the Tory filth then. Seems reasonable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, choffer said:

That's ridiculous.

On the other hand, most of these Rebellion types I've seen interviewed make me want to volley them in the jaw.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2019 at 09:28, choffer said:

As if arresting 91 year olds isn’t enough, they’re now hassling molluscs. 

That's not a mollusk!  I think you need someone to come into your living room to present a documentary on mollusks.

On 28/07/2019 at 20:26, chrisp65 said:

Now I guess they just need to organise everybody on the march to send in a subject access request.

Can I do that for all the times I have been filmed by the police, just for attending Villa away matches? Is there a time limit for me to complain about being held by police in a fenced pen near Nottingham train station during a game with Forest? I’m still waiting for an apology from the policeman who pushed me over under a walking police horse outside Fratton Park. Apparently that wasn’t caught on camera. It’s more than 30 years ago so I really should stop expecting a letter each time the postman delivers.

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

Can I do that for all the times I have been filmed by the police, just for attending Villa away matches? Is there a time limit for me to complain about being held by police in a fenced pen near Nottingham train station during a game with Forest? I’m still waiting for an apology from the policeman who pushed me over under a walking police horse outside Fratton Park. Apparently that wasn’t caught on camera. It’s more than 30 years ago so I really should stop expecting a letter each time the postman delivers.

Waaaaay back when video cameras were a fairly new thing, the police brought one in to an away pen specifically to film me.

My crime? Oh I was a full on bad boy. The team came out at the start of the game and I shouted, cheered. Just a general sort of loud noise yell, nothing sweary or bad. A nice policeman behind me shoved me in the back and told me if I shouted again I’d be out. I questioned if that was right, cheering at a footy match being an offence that could get me kicked out.

He didn’t answer, he just went off to the side, pointed me out to his mates and they brought a camera in, stood in front of me and filmed me.

That, was a little intimidating.

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Waaaaay back when video cameras were a fairly new thing, the police brought one in to an away pen specifically to film me.

My crime? Oh I was a full on bad boy. The team came out at the start of the game and I shouted, cheered. Just a general sort of loud noise yell, nothing sweary or bad. A nice policeman behind me shoved me in the back and told me if I shouted again I’d be out. I questioned if that was right, cheering at a footy match being an offence that could get me kicked out.

He didn’t answer, he just went off to the side, pointed me out to his mates and they brought a camera in, stood in front of me and filmed me.

That, was a little intimidating.

I don’t know if the policing of away fans has improved in the past 20 years but, when I attended dozens of away matches from the mid 80’s to early 90’s, the policing was mostly between poor and atrocious/criminal.

• Like 2

Â