Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

All in it together, chapter 45.

Rich kids get off.

A millionaire's son who threatened a barman with fake gun after being refused prosecco won't face justice for two months - because he is jetting off to Barbados.

Oliver George appeared in court over the drunken yacht club fracas two days before he and his family are due to fly to the Caribbean where they have a home.

The 26-year-old, who lives in exclusive Sandbanks, faces a maximum sentence of six months in jail for the offence of possessing an imitation firearm in a public place.

Despite pleading guilty, magistrates agreed to delay his sentence until December so he can go on the month-long holiday.

It's stuff like this that brings the law into disrepute.

• Like 3

Extinction Rebellion: Police ban London protests

Extinction Rebellion activists say they have left London's Trafalgar Square after police issued a ban on the group's climate change protests.

In a statement issued on Monday evening, the Metropolitan Police said demonstrators protesting in the capital after 21:00 BST could be arrested.

Not good. Not good at all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Police ban on Extinction Rebellion protests ruled illegal by high court

The section 14 order used to ban Extinction Rebellion protests in London in October was unlawful, the high court has ruled.

Lawyers for Extinction Rebellion have suggested that hundreds of protesters arrested under the order could bring legal cases against the Met.

...more

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The police were out checking training tickets at my local station a few weeks ago, a **** great use of their time, trying to boost their stats by end of year I bet.

That will be British Transport Police - big part of their remit and nothing to do with the ‘regular’ forces. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

That will be British Transport Police - big part of their remit and nothing to do with the ‘regular’ forces. 

Interestingly their uniforms said 'POLICE' and not British Transport Police. Could well have been the BTP but didn't look like it.

38 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Interestingly their uniforms said 'POLICE' and not British Transport Police. Could well have been the BTP but didn't look like it.

They will just say Police. Every Police Force's uniforms just say Police.BTP are just a Special Police Force, they have exactly the same powers as the other regular forces.

Same category of Police as the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and you wouldn't want to argue with them. They get loaned out to to other forces when they are short of gunmen

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Met police to begin using live facial recognition cameras

The Metropolitan police will start using live facial recognition, Britain’s biggest force has announced.

The decision to deploy the controversial technology, which has been dogged by privacy concerns and questions over its lawfulness, was immediately condemned by civil liberties groups, who described the move as “a breathtaking assault on our rights”.

But the Met said that after two years of trials, it was ready to use the cameras within a month. The force said it would deploy the technology overtly and only after consulting communities in which it is to be used.

Ephgrave said the technology would not be used indiscriminately and that its initial use would be limited.

... rest of article on link

:(

• Like 1

It’s in Cardiff all the time, parked on busy pedestrianised shopping streets. I suspect we were the test dummies.

They were boasting they used it outside a gig a couple of nights ago and arrested someone.

It’s difficult to argue against, in that they took someone with a knife out of a large crowd. But it’s one more slip down the slippery slope to Chinese style control and compliance.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2020 at 03:14, peterms said:

We could do with something to use against dog owners who fail to clear up after their dog.

Faecal recognition cameras.

I saw you had the most recent post in this thread and it was a no brainer to click in, not to brown my nose, but usually what ensues is interest and perspective gained.

"I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed"

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2019 at 16:28, bickster said:

Every Police Force's uniforms just say Police

BTP are covered in badges and logos saying British Transport Police - they have their own badge with BTP on it, and their tabards have it written all over. Otherwise I'd never know I've seen one!

Â