Police state or the state of policing

tonyh29

There was a march in Edinburgh today, in the name of the "Scottish Defence League".  Lots of bored-looking coppers hanging round on overtime.

This Scottish group were displaying the St George's flag, because they're so, er Scottish, and carrying a banner proclaiming the presence of the Sunderland "division".  ("Small town in Scotland, you're just a small town in Scotland" must have really sunk in).

I think I almost felt sorry for them when they were corralled in a small enclosure like pigs at market, displaying their sign.  Problem is, whoever wrote it for them didn't include an arrow showing which way up to hold it.

BR4ADOzCQAA5w2Djpglarge_zpsf5e4b90a.jpg

• Like 1

whoever wrote it for them didn't include an arrow showing which way up to hold it.

No problem, I'm in Australia, I'll read it for you. It says "Stop foreign aid look after our own people"

There you go, glad I could help. Hope it makes sense. Probably does if you take a slightly narrow view of things.

• Like 2

very mixed message from the SDL, wanting foreignors out but happy to wear england shirts

luckily most of them will be too thick to actually vote

No, they really were bussed in from down south, to supplement the numbers.

Bizarrely, the last time the SDL had a march in Edinburgh, they decided to wear pink outfits with little ears, on the basis that it was meant to represent pigs, which would in some way be offensive to Muslims.  So there was a small group of confused fuckwits in pink onesies trudging across George IV bridge in the rain, to the utter mystification of observers...

The servers are in the states. I'd need a lot of petrol.

I've had requests from the police before concerning ticket touts (which is partly why the rules are so strict about people selling tickets now). But I don't know what I'd do if I was asked to assist with an exploratory (rather than targeted) request.

The kinds of notices they are serving expressly stop me from telling anyone I've received one. I won't be able to take legal advice.

Then you should immediately take legal advice.  :)

We're not living in a total police state, at least not quite yet.

The kinds of notices they are serving expressly stop me from telling anyone I've received one. I won't be able to take legal advice.

Advise them that you would be delighted to assist upon receipt of a warrant signed by a Magistrate. ( I have no idea if this is right bbut thats what they say on TV.)

Its best in my experience if you sniff and affect a mockney accent whilst making your request.

Advise them that you would be delighted to assist upon receipt of a warrant signed by a Magistrate. ( I have no idea if this is right bbut thats what they say on TV.)

Its best in my experience if you sniff and affect a mockney accent whilst making your request.

At which point do they arrest you for breach of the peace or under PACE? That's the usual response to any questioning of the legality and lawfulness of their actions or the attempt to exercise of your human rights.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

• 4 months later...

Surpised there wasn't a thread on the Mark Duggan inquest. Personally think the jury made the best stab at a really difficult situation. Not sure there was a better outcome tbh. Talk he was "executed" is plainly just as stupid and the opposing view he deserved to get shot because he was in (or had recently been in) possession of a gun.

Sympathy with the family because they have lost a son, but also sympathy with the Police because it was a no-win situation for them.

• Like 1

yes, it feels like an uncomfortable compromise that is a best fit for the situation

I don't want the police to be able to shoot people without a real and thorough investigation, equally, we have to be aware that a police gunman in a high pressure situation has only instinct time to react and there must be times when the wrong call is made. That doesn't automatically equate to state condoned execution or cover up.

I'm not a big fan of the Police, but it's a public service that is very much needed. As long as it's under our control.

• Like 3

Agree with the above two posts. 

While we have to be very very wary about how and when the police use guns, the "victim" was out there tooled up with firearms. Anybody does that, well all bets are off, really. 

Tough titty. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Agree with the above two posts. 

While we have to be very very wary about how and when the police use guns, the "victim" was out there tooled up with firearms. Anybody does that, well all bets are off, really. 

Tough titty. 

I sort of agree Mike. Had he not involved himself in the possession of firearms he would be alive today. He didn't derserve to die..... but he put himself in a position where it became possible for the Police to respond with firearms themselves.

• 1 month later...

Interesting piece here about how the secret police engage in systematic, co-ordinated and thoroughly planned covert character assassination of people who have committed no crime and pose no security threat but whose views they don't like.

What a much better use of our taxes than catching taxdodgers.

Interesting piece here about how the secret police engage in systematic, co-ordinated and thoroughly planned covert character assassination of people who have committed no crime and pose no security threat but whose views they don't like.

What a much better use of our taxes than catching taxdodgers.

Picture paints a thousand words as they say

benefit_fraud_v_tax_evasion.jpg

20mb image hosting

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Â