Cameron Archer

Zatman

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

That's all well and good mate but the current core of Aston Villa is

Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Diaby and Watkins with Youri and Zaniola chomping at the bit.

Who do you drop from there to start blooding young players with potential but unproven?

I love Coutinho, but would think Archer should have come in before. And why buy Acuna and use him as a winger on the left when you have Bidace?
I remember when Man U wasn't supposed to win anything with kids... those kids were Beckham, Neville's, Butt, Scholes, Giggs...

8 minutes ago, momo said:

I love Coutinho, but would think Archer should have come in before. And why buy Acuna and use him as a winger on the left when you have Bidace?
I remember when Man U wasn't supposed to win anything with kids... those kids were Beckham, Neville's, Butt, Scholes, Giggs...

At the time of post MON cost cutting our mantra was we would go down that route. We got rid of experienced players and persisted with Clark, Lowton, Bennett, Weimann and Westwood.

What did we get? Some of the most miserable seasons I can remember. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

28 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'm trying to work out if it is that big. I think any player we buy to replace Watkins would come in at over 50m these days. That's the only way I see him coming back tbh, if he's good enough to be our starting forward. 

I suppose I’m thinking we would be a bit like how I/we thought Man City would be with Luiz. 

Sell to us for 15m with an option of buying back at 25m, he does well, catches a few eyes, but him back for 25 and then immediately sell for 30m.

Unless Archer suddenly scores 20 goals+ he isn’t going to command a price tag of over 50m. Therefore I would have thought the option of “flipping” him for a quick profit would unlikely be an option. 

31 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

At the time of post MON cost cutting our mantra was we would go down that route. We got rid of experienced players and persisted with Clark, Lowton, Bennett, Weimann and Westwood.

What did we get? Some of the most miserable seasons I can remember. 

2 of those were from the academy, and today's academy has so much more talent. Grealish, Carney, Tim, Archer, Bidace, Ramsey's... These are really good players.

I'm very unsure he's going to cut it at PL level. Think he will be one of those players great in the Championship but not quite good though for PL. Early days though. Doesn't seem to have enough about his game imo. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, momo said:

2 of those were from the academy, and today's academy has so much more talent. Grealish, Carney, Tim, Archer, Bidace, Ramsey's... These are really good players.

It's the same basic principle. We chose to go the young and hungry route in 2011 and it derailed us for the guts of a decade.

We are now in a place where we have senior, established quality players on the squad. Who do you move to make space for players who may/May not have what it takes at this level?

Edited by Captain_Townsend

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm very unsure he's going to cut it at PL level. Think he will be one of those players great in the Championship but not quite good though for PL. Early days though. Doesn't seem to have enough about his game imo. 

He need to add more to his game. 

That's what emery don't like about him. He is very one dimensional 

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

He’s not a winger, get him around the box and he’ll score goals. 

Has he got what it takes to carry out what Unai is asking him to do is the question. Coutinho came on instead of him and looked bright. He’s injured now so maybe he will get another chance? I think we’ll sell him. 

If he was considered good enough he’d play - simples. If he’d come through under Smiths time as manager then things may have been different but we are operating and playing  at a whole different level now. He’s not going to improve us. 

54 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Could be the next Dwight Gayle.

It said a lot that it was Duran, only back in training for a few days, who came on for Watkins. Archer wasn't going to come on at all as Chambers was about to come on then Coutinho got injured. 

It would definitely be unfair to judge him on the 14 mins (inc injury time) that he got today as we were just going through the motions. I think it is becoming clear though that Emery doesn't fancy him and if he wants someone to deputise for Ollie then I think Emery is right in thinking that Archer isn't that player as whilst he is a good finisher he doesn't have that all round game that Ollie has. 

I have said before that the game is littered with strikers, both past and present, who can do it at Championship level but aren't quite good enough for the Premier league. That may not be the case with Archer but we aren't just wanting players to now be good enough for a mid to lower table Prem club we are wanting players to be good enough for a club striving to finish top 6 and I don't see that he is that or has enough about him to develop to become that. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Yawning on the bench 8 mins into the game and generally looking miserable and uninterested. 

Probably means absolutely nothing and just the younger gens way but was noticeable.

I hope he gets more time on Wednesday all the same.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I suppose I’m thinking we would be a bit like how I/we thought Man City would be with Luiz. 

Sell to us for 15m with an option of buying back at 25m, he does well, catches a few eyes, but him back for 25 and then immediately sell for 30m.

Unless Archer suddenly scores 20 goals+ he isn’t going to command a price tag of over 50m. Therefore I would have thought the option of “flipping” him for a quick profit would unlikely be an option. 

Wasn't it 25 and then 35.

I think the key is it has to work for both, if I'm sheff united and you tell me you want a buy back, I'd want it to be worth my while. 50m sounds worth my while, 30m doesn't, maybe 40 is about right. 

Â