Cameron Archer

Zatman

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think it was telling that we went 3-1 down after 58 mins yesterday and desperately needed a goal and Archer wasn't brought on. At 4-1 after 77 mins the game was done anyway. It suggests that Emery doesn't have that much belief that Archer is ready to step up to the plate. If that is the case I'd let him go but we have to bring in a replacement that Emery does consider ready because an injury to Watkins that keeps him out for months (and we have seen two of those to other players in the last 4 days) then we are in a whole heap of mire. 

Just being Devils Advocate Mark.....by the powers of deduction, that equally suggests that he does have faith in Leon Bailey to start a match away at St James's.

I guess, its all opinions and opportunities.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Just being Devils Advocate Mark.....by the powers of deduction, that equally suggests that he does have faith in Leon Bailey to start a match away at St James's.

I guess, its all opinions and opportunities.

I don't think Bailey does start that game if Buendia hadn't got injured. The options for that role were then limited. He could have gone with JPB but I can understand why he wouldn't. 

I think an hour in yesterday though and desperately needing a goal the logical thing to do is look to your bench and for an option you think will provide that. There was one central striker and he chose to ignore that option. I think that is telling. 

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think Bailey does start that game if Buendia hadn't got injured. The options for that role were then limited. He could have gone with JPB but I can understand why he wouldn't. 

I think an hour in yesterday though and desperately needing a goal the logical thing to do is look to your bench and for an option you think will provide that. There was one central striker and he chose to ignore that option. I think that is telling. 

We had Watkins and Diaby playing up top so not sure why adding a 3rd striker into the mix would make a difference when our midfield kept giving the ball away and our defence was leaking chances all over the shop

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

We had Watkins and Diaby playing up top so not sure why adding a 3rd striker into the mix would make a difference when our midfield kept giving the ball away and our defence was leaking chances all over the shop

You could take Watkins off and directly replace him with Archer, you could take Bailey off and push Diaby wide and Archer through the middle. 

I don't particularly have a problem with Archer not being used as I don't think he would have changed the game. I just think if Emery had a striking option on the bench he really believed in then at 3-1 down after an hour you'd probably look to change things up top. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Game was gone at 3-1, certainly 4-1 so don't really see the harm in taking Ollie off at that point and giving him 15-20 minutes. If he scores and then does the same v Everton suddenly he's proving himself at prem level.

However there's something in his game that Emery doesn't believe will fit into his system.

Main issue to me though is he goes and all there currently is Duran who's very raw and unproven and just missed the whole of pre season so who knows how long he'll take to get up to speed as I imagine he's sticking around until January.

Could move Diaby to CF but then we're short of genuine wide options to play either side of CF.

We haven't really got the squad now to be competitive in three different competitions up to the next transfer window so big three weeks coming up for Monchi.

• Like 1

Middlesbrough are going to struggle this season, and have lost many of their good players from last season. Archer won’t go there, he’ll have far better options. Either a team battling Premier League relegation (such as Sheffield United), or a Championship team chasing promotion. 

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah archer wouldnt have added anything . Game was done at 3-1 we ahould just have shut up and taken the loss to keep score down

I agree....but to compound the issue, we continued with the highline, that was music to their ears.....and the customary Barnes and Wilson goals, just followed.

I trust UE...but he will be accountable to his format/system.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree....but to compound the issue, we continued with the highline, that was music to their ears.....and the customary Barnes and Wilson goals, just followed.

I trust UE...but he will be accountable to his format/system.

The highline works though we used it against them and destroyed them at villa park. The issue was individual mistakes 

The one advantage we have is torres will know about the high line working under emery so that definitely helps

14 hours ago, useless said:

Middlesbrough might want Archer, but he's a completely different type of player to Akpom, so they aren't going to sign him as his replacement,

Davis and Archer would be a great duo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The highline works though we used it against them and destroyed them at villa park. The issue was individual mistakes 

The one advantage we have is torres will know about the high line working under emery so that definitely helps

It didn't work against them in Pre -season in the USA

Look, I am not suggesting one element of play causes the final result....many things were wrong.

The highline is employed to enable us to make the midfield compact and give us an advantage in the offence......If the reverse happens, and the opposition are given an easy route to goal, and lets be honest here, executed well, it is an easy route to goal....then it is not working.

With Tyrone out, I am unsure, if its going to work as well as we expect.

I suspect UE will continue with his philosophies, and not "U" turn, but he has to find a way for us not to concede so easily.

ALL teams concede goals, thats a known fact......its the EASE at which they are conceded, is what defines performances and ultimately results......and it also creates Hope v Despair.

Â