Cameron Archer

Zatman

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Great save to be fair. 

He did well with his run and to win the pen, but it's always disappointing when a player doesn't score from the spot. It was a good save, though not bang in the corner or struck with a lot of venom - may have been enough against a championship level keeper (which is the issue). Had another opportunity that he spurned wide, but wasn't a particularly easy chance. 

If we're judging him by the standards we expect of Watkins, then it would be a bit disappointing that he didn't score one of his opportunities. 

Tonight's game really doesn't tell us much about Archer and the club won't be using it as a basis for making any kind of decision regarding him, it was just a meaningless friendly, he will be more judged on how he does in training and how he performed last season on loan, those things especially the loan tell us a lot more about whether he's ready or not than a friendly game, from Emery's words quoted yesterday morn it sounds like he will be given a chance, they aren't going to suddenly change their minds based on a meaningless game.

If you were judging players just on that game then would be question marks surrounding a number of our other players too, Archer wasn't the only one to have subdued performance, he wasn't even all that bad, a few times he could have done better, service wasn't great to him as we were pretty quiet as an attacking force, and he did well to win penalty and only a fantastic save denied him, wasn't a bad miss. 

By the same token If he'd have scored hat-trick that wouldn't have meant he's suddenly going to be a world beater either, can't read too much into friendlies good or bad.

How he does next season when given a chance in proper games will be the time to judge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

He did well with his run and to win the pen, but it's always disappointing when a player doesn't score from the spot. It was a good save, though not bang in the corner or struck with a lot of venom - may have been enough against a championship level keeper (which is the issue). Had another opportunity that he spurned wide, but wasn't a particularly easy chance. 

If we're judging him by the standards we expect of Watkins, then it would be a bit disappointing that he didn't score one of his opportunities. 

No point judging him by Ollie's standards.....his conversion rate for penalties is 4/9 (44%)....and we still let him take them.

I think if he's getting chances on goal with the right movement and play, that's the more important part than the odd miss. We know he's a good finisher so it's more about the movement and play to get the chances.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I've only watched the highlights, but the big thing that stands out for me is the run and touch for the penalty and (more importantly) that after missing, within moments, he was there again to make another run, receive, and get a shot away. 

That's the natural striker in him. A very good sign.

I agree completely the run was Ian rush/Robbie fowler like and then the touch and set up without the foul I think he is rolling it in to the bottom corner. I think he needs to get more physical but the movement is clever and he will get chances with movement and timing of the run. 

I have to say i know the headlines will say a pen miss (the other chance wasnt as easy as people are amkingbout if you have ever played professional football) i think he looked a threat. Havent seen duran get anywhere close to having a opportunity like that

2 hours ago, May-Z said:

I've only watched the highlights, but the big thing that stands out for me is the run and touch for the penalty and (more importantly) that after missing, within moments, he was there again to make another run, receive, and get a shot away. 

That's the natural striker in him. A very good sign.

This, his run and positioning was perfect for the penalty and good for his second chance. 

The through ball for the penalty was exactly what we need to stop/ punish the oppositions high press and i couldn't pick who out of Archer and ollie I would want running onto those type of balls. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

This, his run and positioning was perfect for the penalty and good for his second chance. 

The through ball for the penalty was exactly what we need to stop/ punish the oppositions high press and i couldn't pick who out of Archer and ollie I would want running onto those type of balls. 

Im sorry but im convinced if that was duran ha wouldnt have won the penalty or got the position for the opportunity archer had for his chance

Archers positional play for me is very impressive 

The kids not had a full pre season lets remember that he was away with u21s. Naturally will be abit rusty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

His touch for the pen was good but apart from that I don't think he did himself any favours.

I haven't see the whole match, just the highlights...how was his overall game?

How did he compare to Watkins when he came on?

Watched the whole match and didn’t learn anything new about him. 

His runs and positioning were good. Got caught offside a few times when he would’ve been through. Struggled to get the ball to stick with his hold up play. 

It actually reminded me a lot of Ings. Flashes up for a goal but hard to notice otherwise. That’s not a bad ceiling to have if he can work on other parts of his game. 

I watched him play last night.

He is not the type of player to impose himself on defenders like Ollie Watkins..

We are not going to see the robust all action display so it can come across as underwhelming because we are not used to seeing that type of performance from a striker..

If I am being honest, it wasn't his best display and he would get a 5/10 for that performance.

The Fulham centre back pairing was a 17 year old Canadian named Fougerolles & Diop.. It was Fougerolles's inexperience that caused him to concede the penalty..

I really like Archer and I think that he is a big talent..

I think that he should have taken a longer break after the winning the Euro Championship but I guess he was eager to impress and stake a claim in the squad..

He will get plenty more opportunities, games like these are beneficial to his development this season.. BUT it will take him a while to get going I think..

Edited by Reivax_Villa

His movement, runs and finishing aren't in question, he got bullied off the ball a bit and struggled to hold the ball up front. 

We haven't seen much of Duran but him and Archer look complete opposites, where as Watkins is right in the middle. You need a good all rounder up front these days, big season for Archer to hit the gym and work out how to use his body against Premier League defenders. I think long term he could be better in the Bailey/Diaby role than being the front man.

• Like 1

I think archers struggles were caused by the anonymity of Buendia and McGinn. They really didn't fill the spaces left behind by Archer on his runs which made him very isolated. And neither really tried to play off of him which is really what let his partnership with akpom shine. 

The one real time we passed around the area and tried to bet the ball to Archer he got a one on one where if he wasn't tripped he probably scores. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

His movement, runs and finishing aren't in question, he got bullied off the ball a bit and struggled to hold the ball up front. 

We haven't seen much of Duran but him and Archer look complete opposites, where as Watkins is right in the middle. You need a good all rounder up front these days, big season for Archer to hit the gym and work out how to use his body against Premier League defenders. I think long term he could be better in the Bailey/Diaby role than being the front man.

Archer flattened Joelinton vs Newcastle and sent Lacelles to his arse twice. Archer can definitely be stronger than he was today. 

Â