Cameron Archer

Zatman

12 hours ago, TRO said:

Thats interesting, and I value your opinion.

But let me expand on that, somewhat.

I Love Ollie watkins and could wax lyrical about him....but in that game he failed c 3 times with his first touch to a through ball, we could have scored if he had.....I could also point out Boub Kamara was robbed of Possesion, once again, that led to conceding.....Top,top players overall IMO....so we ride with that as isolated incidents in a game....but Cam gets forensically examined?

Cam never had the luxury of playing in that vibrant first half, with the quality of service sublime......my point is, its difficult to tell under the circumstances....He was brought on with huge defenders to face, in Botman and Lascelles, not exactly ideal for him.

Lets make this clear....I am not saying he is the finished article....what I am saying is, with his goal scoring record in the Championship,he has, there is something well worth working with IMO.

PS If EmI Buendia, (who has his critics), can turn his game around like that...sensational.....This boy can be the player we want too.

Standard Ollie. Some people can't see it.

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Sounds like he wants him involved - but reading between the lines if we get another striker/forward I’d bet on Archer going on loan again. 

That does not surprise me at all....Makes sense to me.

37 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Standard Ollie. Some people can't see it.

That was me being picky and trying to make a point and supporting Cameron....there are faults to be seen with all players.

Ollie is a real asset to our team and his overall, trumps his shortfalls.

Lets get back to Cam

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

If Duran does go out on loan, surely Archer stays around the first team. Will be a big few months for him if so!

It seems the manager is clear in his thinking in regards to how many potential games we have coming our way.

It makes sense to me, to want CA and JD to stay close to that.

Personally, I want UE to work his magic on these 2 players......not someone else.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s done everything he can to earn a squad spot this season and, given the extra games, I’d be amazed if he doesn’t get one.

Think this could be a 5 league goal sort of season for Archer and could see the real making of him. 

• Like 1

I think he and Watkins could potentially link up well together, Archer isn't someone I think will be amazing at leading the line by himself, he's not really that type of player, but as a second striker worked really well with Akpom last season, and season before that with Jakobsen at Preston.

Six assists last season for Middlesrbrough show he's got a bit more to his game than just scoring as well, he's a pretty good creator, not in the sense of having great vision, but can take players on from wide postions and put in dangerous balls, if you watch highlights reel of his middlesbrough time he probably should have had more assists as well.

Obviously whether he can do it at Premier League level is another question the answer to which it seems like we're going to find out, but I think his all round game at the levels he has played at is better than he's given credit for, he's spent a lot of his career out wide, so got a lot of winger like qualities to his game.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I think he and Watkins could potentially link up well together, Archer isn't someone I think will be amazing at leading the line by himself, he's not really that type of player, but as a second striker worked really well with Akpom last season, and season before that with Jakobsen at Preston.

Six assists last season for Middlesrbrough show he's got a bit more to his game than just scoring as well, he's a pretty good creator

From what I saw of both loans spells, he actually was the focal point of both attacks rather than being a support striker. However, what often happened would be that the ball came to Archer on a break and he’d take it wider which allowed other players to get into the box. Akpom in particular seemed very good at reading the game and getting into a position, which meant Archer had options when with the ball.

Edit:  the point in saying this is that I think he’d work well in our current system. We tend to break with numbers so either as the main man or drifting wide, he should suit how we play. 

Edited by bobzy

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What's the point of two very successful loan spells if it doesn't lead to a chance in the first team? 

I'm glad we're sticking with him.

Because every player's journey is different and a successful loan spell doesn't mean that they're ready just yet. He'll get his chance if he deserves it, I'm sure. 

Just now, Jareth said:

Test him. If he fails then there’s January. 

Agreed.  There is always Europa Conference, if he can score against Preston and Hull, he can score against Lech Poznań or Hapoel Be'er Sheva .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Because every player's journey is different and a successful loan spell doesn't mean that they're ready just yet. He'll get his chance if he deserves it, I'm sure. 

I get that but two very successful spells in the league below surely indicates he's worthy of a chance. What will a 3rd spell prove? 

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Sounds like he wants him involved - but reading between the lines if we get another striker/forward I’d bet on Archer going on loan again. 

Which lines are you reading between? What Emery said seems quite clear - Cam is staying. What have I missed?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I get that but two very successful spells in the league below surely indicates he's worthy of a chance. What will a 3rd spell prove? 

That he can add more to his all-round game - which is the area he's lacking. 

Â