Cameron Archer

Zatman

Couldn't he had got 'better' loan than the championship? 

I mean Balogun struggled in the championship and now has 10 in 17 while playing for reims in Ligue 1.

Balogun has Seemingly 'overtaken' a stagnated Archer in development now. 

Does Archer have much else to prove in the championship? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I mean Balogun struggled in the championship and now has 10 in 17 while playing for reims in Ligue 1.

Does Archer have much else to prove in the championship? 

It's a good point but who in the premier league?

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It's a good point but who in the premier league?

Not sure about the Premier league, however other leagues like Portuguese or Dutch are a possibility. 

I mean if Archer goes and scores 10 goals for Boro now in 20 odd games what does that even achieve? 

Won't make him good enough for us and won't add much value as he's done that already. 

• Like 1

Is Ligue 1 better than the Championship?

I mean, I know it has a couple of very good sides at the top, and I know it's a different style of football that would be a good education for a young player, but is it a higher standard overall?

I think part of the reason we've loaned him to the Championship is so that if the opportunity arises we can make good money off him from a Championship club. I think the same has been true of Davis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I mean, I know it has a couple of very good sides at the top, and I know it's a different style of football that would be a good education for a young player, but is it a higher standard overall?

I think part of the reason we've loaned him to the Championship is so that if the opportunity arises we can make good money off him from a Championship club. I think the same has been true of Davis.

Exactly a successful loan at a promoted club could land us £20m.

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Have a feeling he won’t make it here and not sure how I feel about that … 

Who knows, but if we can get a decent fee it profit and it funds the development of the next academy players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Does Archer have much else to prove in the championship

Honestly, yeah. He only had half a season in the championship and he wasn’t that good. Could definitely do with proving himself further.

For example, you say balogun struggled in the championship? He had a goal or an assist every 150 minutes in the championship. Archer had a goal or an assist every 200 minutes. 

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Honestly, yeah. He only had half a season in the championship and he wasn’t that good. Could definitely do with proving himself further.

For example, you say balogun struggled in the championship? He had a goal or an assist every 150 minutes in the championship. Archer had a goal or an assist every 200 minutes. 

Balogun didnt end up being a starter in Championship, that for me is an indication that Archer had a more successful loan spell that season.

He did very well in Preston, as we can see on their fans reaction both at the time and the dissappointment they had of not getting him again. He does have to get game time and Championship is a great level for that. 

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Maybe but he would learn a lot more in France or Netherlands for example as I imagine the football is more technical and the coaching is a better standard plus a change in lifestyle 

He probably won’t make it here. I bet 999/1000 kids we bring through the academy don’t go on to make it as a regular PL footballer.

Of the current crop to come through, I have hopes Kessler, Irroegbunam and A. Ramsey kick on and make it here but even that’s a stretch. 

It’s really difficult to make it as a PL footballer. Everybody says we have an amazing academy and youth team. We really don’t. I’m sure it’s good, but you look at some of the players Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal bring through, it’s streets apart. If you ask any fan in the country if they have a good youth set up, they’ll all say yes and point to the next couple of world beaters that are going to set the world alight. Rarely happens. If at all.

Edited by Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He probably won’t make it here. I bet 999/1000 kids we bring through the academy don’t go on to make it as a regular PL footballer.

Of the current crop to come through, I have hopes Kessler, Irroegbunam and A. Ramsey kick on and make it here but even that’s a stretch. 

It’s really difficult to make it as a PL footballer. Everybody says we have an amazing academy and youth team. We really don’t. I’m sure it’s good, but you look at some of the players Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal bring through, it’s streets apart. If you ask any fan in the country if they have a good youth set up, they’ll all say yes and point to the next couple of world beaters that are going to set the world alight. Rarely happens. If at all.

Its this last bit that Villa are trying to change . We arent great but we are looking to be great. 

• Like 1

Balogun went ten Championship games before he scored his first goal, then scored three in four before going another five games without a goal, and Middlesbrough fans from what I saw weren't impressed with him at all.

Archer scored more than twice as many as Balogun and unlike Balogun wasn't playing through the middle as the main striker, he was wide left mostly, also Preston fans loved him.

Archer played more minutes than Balogun but maybe that's because Archer did well enough to get regular game time whereas Balogun didn't.

If he 'wasn't that good' he wouldn't have had half the Championship wanting him in the summer, or MIddlesbrough, one of the better teams, wanting him this winter.

Archer also outscored Balogun in the summer for England U21s and in those games it was Archer that got less game time.

I watched him on numerous occassions at Preston and besides his goals his performances were very good, better than I was expecting.

And I'm not saying that Archer is better than Balogun, him doing better over half a season in the Championship isn't proof of that, most would predict Balogun will have the more prestigous career.

All that said a move back to the Championship is a good one for Archer, if he can do as well as last season will help him enhance his reputation further, and give him a chance of playing his way back into the England U21 squad for the Euros this summer, and will give him good optons club wise in the summer as well, if we were to sell might be a good idea to insist on a buy-back clause, like Liverpool did with Brewster.

44 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Everybody says we have an amazing academy and youth team. We really don’t. I’m sure it’s good, but you look at some of the players Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal bring through, it’s streets apart. If you ask any fan in the country if they have a good youth set up, they’ll all say yes and point to the next couple of world beaters that are going to set the world alight. Rarely happens. If at all.

How do we not have an amazing academy/youth team? Who are the Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal players currently coming through that you’re particularly jealous of?

Â