• El Ghazi
    • Davis
    • Guilbert (Targett 43)
    • Grealish (Jota 68)
    • Archer (Davis 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/08/19 at 22:59

A good run out for fitness and some clinical finishing. We were better in possession as the game progressed and rested in the ball as we knocked it about. Making the opposition work was nice to see.

Steer was solid when called upon. 

Targett looked shaky at the back but decent going forward. As another poster mentioned, we all knew this about him. Konsa grew into the game and looked relatively assured while under little pressure. Hause was the worst villa player on the pitch, too casual, not making himself available for the easy pass and working himself into trouble. Elmo played some annoying long passes in the first half but got into the swing of the passing game in the second. Freddy was excellent going forward and quite solid defensively, barring a lapse for their goal.

The midfield trio of Nakamba, Conor and Henri impressed me for much of the game. Henri occasionally went missing but his deft touches made up for it. I don’t think he likes the tackle but he seems to be enjoying the passing style implemented by Dean. They all kept the ball moving v nicely. I love Conor’s desire. No one was hiding in that three. Nakamba could be a star.

El Ghazi was good in flashes. I hope he finds some consistency as he did towards the back end of last season. Jota was superb in the first half and faded with tiredness before being subbed. Grealish was frighteningly more gifted than anyone on the pitch when he came on. You could see he enjoyed himself. Davis really impressed me. Did the dirty work nicely and drilled home his much-deserved goal (a risky one to go in for, too). His hold up play was lovely. Archer’s was a brief and energetic cameo. I hope it’s not the last we see of him.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
Autocorrect Grealish to ‘freakish’
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

actually thought Crewe were the better team for large parts

I appreciate wanting to be objective but I just don’t think that’s true, we slipped a few times due to over confidence but it was almost literally men against boys.

• Like 4

Hmm, typed out a post and pressed send but the train went through a tunnel and it seems to have been lost. In summary: Nakamba looked great, oozed class and composure. It may ‘only’ be League 2 oppo but so were Bradford that time.

Honourable mentions to Konsa, Guilbert, Davis and Lansbury. Nice goal by Crewe too. Fun evening out!

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

6-1 massively flattered us. I actually thought Crewe were the better team for large parts

Crewe were decent tonight, and they will feel the scoreline really doesn't reflect the game.  We were certainly on top, I wouldn't say they were the better team for large parts of the game, but they put up a very respectable show.

Fantastic to see the energy, desire, pressing and passing actually INCREASING as the game went on.

Nakamba looked a very good player second half.

Thank God Davis scored... dominated them but needed a goal in a Win like that.

Bloke next to me said Targett looked “ almost as poor as Taylor”.... I’m afraid I broke a golden rule and bothered arguing with him.

I said I really don’t get the downer people like him have on Taylor.

Particularly since March.

His best reply was “ Taylor has been a bit better last few weeks “ (?).

Targett looked very very poor and no suprise at all Taylor is keeping him out... as will Hause unless he improves.

Thought it a little risky bringing Jack on But a great move by Deano as he clearly thought Jack needed a bit more ooommmppphh

... and he delivered..... I guess the pay off to that will be if he is more dynamic on Saturday.

Very enjoyable night .. other than the interminable and childish Konsa chanting...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I appreciate wanting to be objective but I just don’t think that’s true, we slipped a few times due to over confidence but it was almost literally men against boys.

Very much so.

What the hell is going on.  Smith is destroying my Villa. 

Everyone knows the score.  We are the team who go away to smaller teams and get turned over whilst watching our peers thump whoever they are playing. 

We are not the team who go to Crewe and win 6 - 1.  This just doesn't happen to us. 

• Like 1

Â