• El Ghazi
    • Davis
    • Guilbert (Targett 43)
    • Grealish (Jota 68)
    • Archer (Davis 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/08/19 at 22:59

What a strange game. We have comfortably won a game 6-1 against a reasonable lower league side with our second string - lovely. On the other hand, both teams had seventeen efforts on goal - we had seven on target, they had six. It was deceptively even in the most peculiarly uneven way.

Ho hum - when's the draw?

• Like 1

Thats the sourcery that proves you can make 10 changes and still dispatch a League 2 side like you're supposed to.

Hause wants an age on the ball, only thing that annoyed me.

Like the look of Marvelous

Special mention to Lansbury

and Jack looked miles above everyone when he came on. 

And LOL at those villa on tour dorks :)

Can't remember any other Villa match with so few calories spent per goal scored.

Nothing bad to say about Crewe at all. They're a team it's easy to like. The scoreline flattered us, but on the other hand, we were deadly efficient and made it look easy.

Edit: cleaning up a bit.

Edited by Gompedyret
  • Like 1

Our "second XI" understand what Smith wants just as good as our "first XI". It's good to see we have an actual squad; Lansbury, Nakamba and Hourihane all made stakes to get into the team for the weekend. Davis showed how good he is on the ball and at holding up play, could tell it meant a lot to him to get on the scoresheet too.

Bodes well knowing we have options in abundance. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but found it astonishing that posters wanted us to go with a full strength team tonight.

Perfect team selection, perfect night barring the injury to Taggart (hopefully nothing too serious), delighted Davis got on the scoresheet, Nakamba looks a great addition, Lansbury produced two moments of real class and a great finish from Guilbert. Good fitness for the fringe players and I think the likes of Hause and Konsa needed the 90 minutes because at times we were shaky at the back. Meanwhile Crawley knock out Norwich and Crewe beat them only last week! 

Good night all round though, now for Palace...

• Like 4

Not really sure what to say after that but bizarrely I thought 6-1 massively flattered us. I actually thought Crewe were the better team for large parts and yet we’ve scored 6...?

Hugely impressed with Davis, Nakamba, Grealish, Elmo (first half), Jota (first half). Guilbert was good but obviously not a left sided player. 

I actually thought that Hourihane and Lansbury were poor for the most part despite some decent touches for the goals. They failed to really dominated the game. I thought Hause and Konsa looked extremely shaky (perhaps harsh on Konsa as Hause was atrocious). Targett failed to impress and El Ghazi looked very average.

We’ve won 6-1 but they could easily have had 4/5 themselves. I’m not getting carried away with that performance however it is hugely pleasing to know that isn’t our first XI and we have players like Davis and Nakamba who could come in and do a job when asked.

Nakamba has very much played his way into contention for that DCM slot, he looked very lively. He is a genuine DCM, plays deep, wins the ball and plays it simple. 

We’re through, but a better team would have punished our team tonight.

Just a really enjoyable game from start to finish. Dean is getting everything right currently, even the slightly odd decision to bring Grealish on payed off for him.

Really happy for Davis, he worked hard and played well, and scored. Well deserved.

Nakamba will push Douglas for that DM spot, excellent. 

• Like 1

Â