Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

It's mental really how we managed to sign Daly. How did none of the big sides snap her up?

What are the chances of us actually keeping her for a few seasons or will she just be nabbed away from us?

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Farlz said:

It's mental really how we managed to sign Daly. How did none of the big sides snap her up?

What are the chances of us actually keeping her for a few seasons or will she just be nabbed away from us?

Nabbed away from us

26 minutes ago, Farlz said:

She signed a 3 year deal when she joined us in the summer, plus she’ll be 31 in a couple of weeks time. I think we can hold onto her.

She’s certainly a class above anything we’ve had previously and it’s refreshing to finally see a real goalscorer in the team. 

Enjoyable afternoon. We are lots of fun to watch and work really hard for each other. Some sloppy passing though, a better side would have punished us more. I didn’t get a good view of the red card incident but Hanson looked in loads of pain going off, presume she’ll be out for a few weeks. Rachel Daly had been an outstanding signing.

First thoughts are that we are a completely different team since last year. The improvement is vast.

With the ball, especially in our half, we are very good. The passing is sharp, often one touch, and with intent to work forwards.

Blindkilde impressed me and looked very composed in CM. The LB, Pacheco, is so composed when passing out.

Dali is out best player alongside Daly. Those two really are a step up from the rest of the team...but that's not to say the others are too far behind. 

Corsie in CM and Turner at CB had solid games as well.

Mayling seems to play exactly the same way as Cash, with similar results. 

The main problem in today's match was that we were trying to play a forward ball too early in the first half. There were lots of moments where possession was wasted due to an attempted through ball that was just not going to come off. 

Secondly, whenever Reading came forward, every player seemed to find themselves the wrong side of the attacking player. Maybe it's because we focus so much on committing to attacks, but we could've been caught many more times by that. 

It was a good day though, and great to see the development in the team.

You also have to consider the villa jinx. Probably our biggest signings this year have been

Carlos out for the season

Kamara missed loads of games

Rachael Daly doing fine 

Simone Magill who was meant to be our forward with daly, did her ACL at the euros

Team has been playing well Daly supplying the finishing touch, to be fair they've been playing well since the start of the new year when Corsie, Patten, and Jill Scott were brought in, completely changed the way we play and became much more comfortable on the ball as a team, I think I read we actually had some of the best possession and expected goals stats in the league from January onwards, we just didn't have anyone to finish off the chances we were creating second of half of last season, thankfully we've got Daly now but need more goal contributions from the other forwards.

Daly and Dali the two standouts but I don't think Blindkilde is far behind them, she was one of six academy products we had on the pitch at various stages today, I thought Olivia McLoughlin also did well when she came on, and Georgia Mullett made her WSL debut.

A few of the youngsters might play against Durham next week, although I don't think we will want to go too understrenght as it would be a big achievment for us to qualify from our group, Ward has already said that Hampton is going to play in that game which will be good to see.

• Like 2

Rachel Daly take a bow. 8 goals in 7 games, carrying the team at the moment tbh.*

Hope we bring in more talent soon to complement her, could be a really exciting team one day.

*(I do highly rate Corsie, Pacheco, and Dali too, but in terms of numbers atm we'd be down the bottom if not for Daly's contributions).

Is Rachel Daly the best player male or female that we currently have at the club? In terms of profile and being at an elite level. I think only Emi comes close and obviously Coutinho was in 2018

*Yes I am aware the male game is more physical etc. before I am told off that the mens game is better 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Is Rachel Daly the best player male or female that we currently have at the club? In terms of profile and being at an elite level. I think only Emi comes close and obviously Coutinho was in 2018

*Yes I am aware the male game is more physical etc. before I am told off that the mens game is better 😛

I think so yes? I mean surely there's no one else who has as many caps is there? And yeah, I would agree that Emi is the closest. 

• Like 1

It is great that Daly joined us. Gives clubs like us, ie not one of the big 4 women's clubs, a real boost and opportunity to challenge.

Hopefully we can invest in similar players. There must be players sitting on the bench at City or Chelsea who would relish more game time. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the game yesterday so did my 10 year old daughter which is great. The 5 year old less so but she did have moments of Interest.

First half you could see we were the better side but some sloppy passing and mistakes although conditions weren't great. There was always a risk of Reading getting another though. The second before half time was massive.

Second half we controlled it much better and the better quality of players showed even more and that was before the sending off. I felt like Reading just wanted to not conceded again. There was even a bit where one if their coaches seemed to try and delay our momentum and waste a bit if time.

Daly was a step up from anyone else on the pitch and you could see she was getting frustrated with some play a little. Dali also showed her International class. There's a few others though that look decent and will improve with the influence of Daly & Dali

We've got other top players besides Daly, Dali was a big signing she signed before Daly, so was arguably our biggest signing at the time but for some reason went pretty much under the radar, this season so far she's arguably been just as good as Daly.

Blindkilde has moved on another level this season, I think she's potentially a future England international, she's only just turned nineteen as well, so be playing as well as she has been at such a young age is a promising sign, she along with Hampton are players who if they were to leave would probably be picked up by 'top four' clubs.

We've also got Hanson and Patten on loan from top four clubs, so we've already gone down the route of using their squad players to our advantage, I wouldn't rule us out being able to sign them permanently if we have a good season.

Then you've got the likes of Pacheco and Danielle Turner who've been mentioned recently as possible contenders for an England call up.

We've also got a lot of highly rated ones coming through in the academy and a better chance of those coming through and becoming top players for us compared to say with academy players in the mens game as there's a lot less competition.

• Like 1

All the above said we still obviously need bring in better players in certain positions, as we saw last season it's okay playing well and dominating the opposition but will come to nothing if we've got no one to put the ball in the back of the net, we're lucky that we have Daly now, but if she was to get injured we'd back to where we were in the second half of last season, which is playing well but dropping points most games because we can't score enough goals.

Areas that need strengthening I think are probably central midfield and further forward, but we actually have a lot forwards already at the club, Lehmann, Daly, Gielnik, Boye-Hlorkah, Harding, Gregory, Goodwin, Hanson, Magill, and younger players from the academy coming through like McAteer, Mullett and others, it's the one area where we have a lot options, if we're to strengthen in January might have to let one or two go.

Of course Magill hasn't even played for us yet, so just her coming back might make a difference, she actually has a pretty good goals and assists record in the WSL twelve goals and eight assists in sixty-five appearances, which probably doesn't look amazing, but when you look at it in terms of minutes on the pitch it's more like forty-three games worth of WSL football that she's played, so those twelve goals and eight assists suddenly start to look closer to a direct goal contribution every two games worth of football, she's got the best attacking stats at the club other Daly.

• Like 1

Â