Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Today was always going to be an incredibly difficult game, United have moved up another level this season and are being tipped to seriously challenge Arsenal and Chelsea for the title, will be similarly difficult next weekend against Arsenal.

Which is why I thought getting the win against Durham was so important and then if we can do the same against Sheffield United in midweek, at least will mean going into break having had a few recent wins and possibly having qualifed for the quater-finals of the League Cup from a difficult group

More than likely we will lose to both Man Utd and Arsenal next weekend before the Christmas break but regardless of the results in those two games, we've had a good first half to the season in the WSL

30 minutes ago, useless said:

Today was always going to be an incredibly difficult game, United have moved up another level this season and are being tipped to seriously challenge Arsenal and Chelsea for the title, will be similarly difficult next weekend against Arsenal.

Which is why I thought getting the win against Durham was so important and then if we can do the same against Sheffield United in midweek, at least will mean going into break having had a few recent wins and possibly having qualifed for the quater-finals of the League Cup from a difficult group

More than likely we will lose to both Man Utd and Arsenal next weekend before the Christmas break but regardless of the results in those two games, we've had a good first half to the season in the WSL

today was only the 2nd game i've seen this season but definitely need someone else to score the goals. definitely feels like an over reliance on daly. we were getting bodies forward but she was doubled up on a fair bit.

definitely some great progress though and from general play i didn't see too much between the 2 sides aside from the clinical finishing

Yes we've done well up until now, Daly not the only one who's having a good season, we wouldn't be where we are if that was the case, it's not as if the rest of the team are playing rubbish and she's having to score wonder goals each week, the team are creating good chances for her, but at the same time we're definitely over reliant on her when it comes to the most important thing, which is obviously scoring goals.

Will be interesting to see what happens in January, would be good to bring in another goal scorer, but that's probably a lot easier said than done as I don't think there are that many in the women's game, and we've also already got a lot of forwards already at the club so might have to let a few of them go.

Ebony Salmon is someone I've wondered that we might go for, especially after she left Bristol City a few seasons back, her profile has risen since then after doing well in the US and is now an England international, so would be more difficult to get now, but us getting her doesn't feel impossible, she actually came through our youth team and started her first team career with us as well.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Ebony Salmon is a forward I've wondered that we might go for, since leaving Bristol City a few season has done well in the NWSL and is now a full England international, still only twenty-one, she actually started her career with us after coming through our academy.

Would be a good signing, in terms of goal scoring we need more from Lehmann and Hanson, they're both regulars in our front three but have just one goal between them in the WSL this season.

A few surprise results today, Liverpool beating West Ham, and Reading beating Spurs, means that despite our loss yesterday we keep our fifth place in the league for now. We might drop a few places next weekend unless we can get something from Arsenal, but I don't think we can drop any lower than .seventh which I think most would have taken at the start of the season going into the Christmas break

Have to say I did enjoy the game, my first experience watching the Villa Women live. The crowd at OT was excellent - not sure how I feel about effectively having karaoke going on during the 90 mins with the band (bit odd) but the atmosphere generally was pretty good! Lots of families, dads taking their daughters and lots of big names (Russo, Toone etc) on the backs of shirts which was cool.

As for Villa, we started quite well and were punished clinically by a very decent United side. Second half though it felt like we were steamrollered a bit. We seem very easy to play against and the United team seemed to physically overwhelm us at times, winning pretty much all the 50-50 tackles. When we lose the ball, we are very open in transition. A solid midtable finish feels like it'll be a good achievement for this side, and then try to kick on again next year. I would like to get to watch another game at Villa Park if we host one there this season! 

We're top of the group on six points with one game left to play, Everton are second on five points with two games left to play, if Everton take four points from their last two games against Man Utd and Durham then they're guaranteed to finish top of the group, whereas if they lose tonight and we win then will finish top, only problem with that is Man Utd have named a very much under strength team for tonight's game, nine changes from the team that beat us at the weekend.

I'd say Everton are favorites to qualify for the quarter-finals now, all they need is a draw against an under strength United tonight and then to beat Durham.

Edit: Maybe I underestimated United's second string, they're already 2-0 up.

Edited by useless

4-1 to Man Utd now.

Looks like as long as we beat Sheffield United then we go through, which we should be more than capable of, but you never know with us, if Rachel Daly has an off day we could play well but still struggle to score, hopefully get the job done.

Â