Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

On 10/05/2021 at 15:27, HanoiVillan said:

No surprise if she doesn't feel like sticking around at a team that have scored 15 goals in a season, but will leave a big hole to fill.

We're gonna need to do some very good business this summer.

In fairness she has been very poor to my eyes since she got here. Not sure what she brings other than a reputation. Very weak on the ball, easily bullied out of the game. We can do a lot better and need to do a lot better !

I think she's (Carla Ward) well regard, seen suggestions that she could end up with Man Utd or Arsenal, and also their fans say that they'd take her as manager. Definitely did well to keep them in the league, given what she had to work with.

4 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

In fairness she has been very poor to my eyes since she got here. Not sure what she brings other than a reputation. Very weak on the ball, easily bullied out of the game. We can do a lot better and need to do a lot better !

I think she tailed away at the end of the season, so while that is a fair-if-slightly-harsh description of the last few games I don't think it's as true of her earlier contributions.

At the end of the day, she's going to look a lot better next season playing for a better team, and there's a reason other than reputation that better teams are interested in her.

I would like to think that Eni enhanced our profile and attracted the right players to the club last summer? Really hope we don’t falter with the women’s team now because it’s been good to see our name in the WSL.

I very much doubt we will stagnate in our endeavours to improve the women's team, one person leaving doesn't mean everything is going to fall apart. Sawiris, Edens, and Purslow have their names attached to the project so I'm sure they'll want it to been seen as a success.

• Like 2

Serious question - is the manager of a WSL team usually/always a woman, or can it be a male as well?

If it can be a male, do any ex-managers from any men’s team take the job at any WSL team?

53 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Serious question - is the manager of a WSL team usually/always a woman, or can it be a male as well?

If it can be a male, do any ex-managers from any men’s team take the job at any WSL team?

We had a male manager just this season!

• Haha 1

Aston Villa Women can confirm that seven players will leave the Club when their contracts expire at the end of June.

Ella Franklin-Fraiture, Emma Follis, Amy West, Caroline Siems, Diana Silva, Mana Iwabuchi and Nadine Hanssen will be departing.

AVFC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Aston Villa Women can confirm that seven players will leave the Club when their contracts expire at the end of June.

Ella Franklin-Fraiture, Emma Follis, Amy West, Caroline Siems, Diana Silva, Mana Iwabuchi and Nadine Hanssen will be departing.

AVFC

The Diana Silva and Mana Iwabuchi ones are a little bit of a surprise considering they came in with a bit of fanfare and were supposedly a sign of renewed ambition.

Basically, looks like we're stripping back and starting again... or effectively withdrawing income?

Diana Silva didn't start many games. I think we're probably just looking to improve the team and to do that unfortunately we will have to let some of the ones we already have go.

Edited by useless

14 hours ago, Rich192 said:

I don’t think Iwabuchi going is our decision. The others probably are. 

yeah i suspect it was a short term deal to get her into the WSL with the view to moving to another club at the end of the season

14 hours ago, Rich192 said:

I don’t think Iwabuchi going is our decision. The others probably are. 

She didn't quite live up to the hype (wonder strike vs Arsenal aside), although the blame may not lie entirely with Iwabuchi.

Shame that she's not staying around,  but suspect you are right that she wants to move up quicker than she thinks we can get there.

Assume we'll get a relatively good fee for her,  and hopefully invest across the team to push on. 

Iwabuchi is out of contract, as are the other six players we're releasing.

Not many transfers of women footballers involve a fee, so not sure if we'd have received any money for her anyway.

It's a shame that she's leaving, but I don't think it's a disaster, as long as we improve the overall team then we should improve next season.

Â