Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

She (Carla Ward) seems highly regard by those that follow women's football, seen a lot of people suggesting her for either the Man Utd or Arsenal jobs. There was a report in one of papers of the working conditions for small heath's women's team, and she definitely performed a miracle in keeping them up.

Edited by useless

I see Bristol City are advertising for a new head coach for the 2021/2022 season, surely would make sense for Gemma Davies, she's already got us promoted from the championship, would rather her go there than end up at small heath.

Also Asmita Ale has been voted players' player of the season, Natalie Haigh has been voted as community player of the season, and Olivia McLoughlin is academy player of the season.

Edited by useless

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Arsenal land Japan star Iwabuchi months after being linked with the former Aston Villa ace

seems we lost her after only 1 season???

Contract was short term. Not renewed. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Half a season!

Yeah, that was short! :s Pity, she scored a few great goals and one was vital in a 1-0 win.

As for Asmita Ale, our right back, I voted for her for supporters' player of the season and she's just won the players' player of the season. : > She made more interceptions than any other WSL player this season! (So I don't think she was at fault for our numerous terrible thrashings!) Very composed, great at keeping possession and at passing. So she has really good overall technical ability. And clearly reads the game well. The club must keep her out of the clutches of the big four/five.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

All three came from small heath, Gregory left us to join them and then came back. Olivia McLoughlin who looked decent towards the end of last season also came from their academy as well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen that Stine Larsen has now been confirmed as leaving the club now as well, as it stands we've only got fifteen players left in the squad and some of those are players that have recently been promoted from the academy. Season doesn't kick off until September, but seems we've got some work to do on the player recruitment side of things.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Just seen that Stine Larsen has now been confirmed as leaving the club now as well, as it stands we've only got fifteen players left in the squad and some of those are players that have recently been promoted from the academy. Season doesn't kick off until September, but seems we've got some work to do on the player recruitment side of things.

Obviously it would be better to have some players, and hopefully we get that sorted, but I have to say I wasn't impressed with Larsen when I was watching the run-in. She looked pretty toothless, and I don't think it was just about the lack of supply (though that wasn't great either).

Most contracts run until the end of June, so hopefully we’ll see a few signings soon after?

Be a shame if we don’t establish ourselves as a good WSL team next season, especially with the additional TV exposure. 

Carla Ward was nominated for manager of the year, and was being linked with Man Utd and Arsenal, when she got the Villa job there was some surprise that we managed to get her. I don't think she would have come to us unless she was impressed with our plans. Season doesn't start until early September, as we move into July we will probably see a lot starting to happen in terms of recruitment of new players.

• Like 1

Â