Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

I'm slightly surprised by some of the shock being expressed at Davies leaving, whilst it's a shame, I think given that we felt the need to bring in someone else part way through the season to essentially do her job, then unfortunately it was always going to be a possibility. All in all she's done a very job for us so I'm sure she will have no trouble finding another club, hopefully we can get someone decent to replace her.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, useless said:

No surprise if she doesn't feel like sticking around at a team that have scored 15 goals in a season, but will leave a big hole to fill.

We're gonna need to do some very good business this summer.

She didn't look as good as I was expecting but still obviously our most comfortable player on the ball by some distance, I think part of the problem was that our other players weren't quite on her wavelength so a lot of the time she'd try passes that they sometimes weren't able to read, was looking forward to seeing her with better players and hopefully some of the current ones improved after this season's experience, so a shame that it's being reported that she's leaving.

• Like 1

do players in the womens game move for fees? probably a stupid question but just never seen any mentioned/rumoured with our signings that's all

Apparently the record transfer for a female footballer is 250,000k paid by Chelsea for Pernille Harder, in general compared to the men's game I don't think they move for a lot of money.

• Haha 1

I saw someone mention Jill Ellis on twitter, I wasn't aware of the name but looking her up she's won the World Cup twice with the US so would be an ambitious but probably unlikely move at this stage.

8 hours ago, useless said:

I'm slightly surprised by some of the shock being expressed at Davies leaving, whilst it's a shame, I think given that we felt the need to bring in someone else part way through the season to essentially do her job, then unfortunately it was always going to be a possibility. All in all she's done a very job for us so I'm sure she will have no trouble finding another club, hopefully we can get someone decent to replace her.

when you bring in a co-manager to help you its usually the end. Its not that surprising

Aluko set to leave

Eniola Aluko is poised to leave her role as Aston Villa Women’s sporting director later this month, Telegraph Sport can reveal, after being offered what multiple sources have described as one of the ‘top jobs’ in the women’s club game.

The former England striker has been at Villa for 16 months, overseeing their first year in the top flight which ended with them securing their survival in the Women’s Super League on the final day of the campaign with a draw at Arsenal.

Sources have not disclosed the name of the club that has approached the 34-year-old, but sources from three separate organisations have said Aluko’s new role would be along the lines of a director of football at one of the "biggest clubs" in the global game.

Her exit would follow this week’s departures from the West Midlands club of their three most senior coaches. Interim manager Marcus Bignot, head coach Gemma Davies and assistant coach Jenny Sugarman all parted company with Villa on Monday.

Bignot, a long-term ally of Aluko who played under him when he was Birmingham City’s manager early in her career, had been in charge at Villa on a temporary basis since January. Davies and Sugarman, who led the club to promotion from the Championship in 2020, remained in their roles after his arrival.

This summer, Villa now look set to require a major rebuild off the field, seeking a new first-team boss and assistant manager, as well as a football director or equivalent.

If this report from the Telegraph is true then It looks like the womens backroom team will be totally brand new for next season. A lot of work will be needed to get them settled in time for the new season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Smith said other day that 99.9 percent of media sources are wrong did he not and apart from Watkins being called out in the press (which was most likely a fluke) that it shouldn't be believed.

I can't see her moving on if we have gained survival. She will want to give it abit at least and see if more investment happens which it no doubt will.

Edited by Dave-R

We've probably known for a while that we'd be seeking a new manager, and were always going to need new players if we survived, and probably also if we'd have been relegated, so I think most of the rebuilding that we're having to do is pretty much inevitable and the club will presumably be well prepared for it having been expecting it.

Don't know much about the Aluko situation, will be a shame to lose her if she's done a good job, but seems many are in bad humours with her because of some of the controversial things she's said, and won't be sorry to see her go. If she does go I'm sure we'll bring in someone very capable to replace her.

According to the times she's going to Los Angeles City.

Don't think it's the end of the world, and don't think it will stop us moving forward, there will be other people that can do the job.

Carla Ward, has announced that she's leaving small heath at the end of the season. As well as ourselves, Arsenal, and Man Utd, that's four clubs that will be looking for a new manager.

Edit: apparently the rumour is that she's coming to us.

Edited by useless

38 minutes ago, useless said:

Carla Ward, has announced that she's leaving small heath at the end of the season. As well as ourselves, Arsenal, and Man Utd, that's four clubs that will be looking for a new manager.

Edit: apparently the rumour is that she's coming to us.

I must admit when I read the headline on Sky Sports that she quit, my immediate thought was that she could well be heading in this direction.

I can't say I know alot about her, but it looks like she performed a miracle keeping that lot up under extremely difficult conditions.

Â