Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

60000 went to the Womens World Cup Final in 2019 with an average of 22,000 per match, the host country didnt play in the final either. 45000 went to the FA Cup Final the same year

Is many football clubs be happy to get such attendances for the mens team

We were 4 of the 45000 on that day. My daughter and her team represented to play girl football tournament for her borough, and were given free tickets. We wouldnt have gone if it wasnt for her team all seemingly wanting to go, and when we eventually got there none of the girls were actually interested with the match it was more for chit chat and team engagement. Spoke to a few other families on the day, again most were just given free tickets by school, or football team etc.. yes, 45000 seems impressive, im sure there were proper Man city / WH fans who bought tjhe tickets to support their team. But I'm sure most had freebies and were just more interested with Mexican wave than the actual football.

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Just to say. If women want to play football - nothing should stop in. It's exercise for physical and mental health. They are just as entitled to play football as men.

If the womens game thrives and improves and becomes a major spectator sport to rival the men's game - I don't have a problem with that.

But right now it's a long way from that and we shouldn't pretend otherwise. 

The issue for me is that they are desperately trying to get the men that love football equally interested in women football. It just won't happen. 

They need to get the appeal going to the women across the world if they want the game to be more watched. 

Personally I'm pretty indifferent to women football. Doesn't bother me, but unless you have a daughter that's active it's just not interesting. The ONLY way I'd watch it is if they made the pitches smaller and goals smaller. The women's game just lack the intensity. The dimensions of the game doesn't suit them. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

when we eventually got there none of the girls were actually interested with the match it was more for chit chat and team engagement. im sure there were proper Man city / WH fans who bought the tickets to support their team. But I'm sure most had freebies and were just more interested with Mexican wave than the actual football.

Sounds like Old Trafford.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Think I have said it before make it a summer sport and it would get more fans.  

It used to be. They changed it about 4 years ago. They need to go back to this as one of the issues is so many games being called off in the winter due to the pitch 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Turns out Birmingham have been charged for fielding a suspended player last Sunday (Ruesha Littlejohn).  Can you imagine a points deduction and subsequent relegation  :lol:

Yeah it seems very dodgy. You have to feel sorry for the players and manager. The board are skint and can’t afford/don’t want to, run the ladies team. 

Earlier in the season they didn’t pay them and forfeited a match. 

It seems that paperwork wasn’t put through on time. Almost like a deliberate act to get them relegated and not have to pay in the lower league. 

Putting local rivalry aside, it’s shocking ownership, blues ladies were one of the best in England for a good few years and now getting decimated by the ownership. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

Yeh this certainly seems to be their strategy - market women's football as a family friendly and cheaper alternative to men's football (in this case free!). It's kinda like how the premier league was offered out free overseas on tv when it first launched just to get people interested.

I don't think they're going to aim to compete women's football alongside the men's game as it's just such a crowded marketplace. If the quality of the football is what you're interested in why watch women's football over the championship or the Bundesliga or many other professional men's leagues.

Just wondering, did your daughter enjoy the day out as a whole/ would you ever pay if it meant taking the whole family for a cheap(ish) day out? I don't have kids and I fear that taking the missus would result in 90 minutes of feminist vitriol.

It was a decent day out, not much drama or heartache to bear and not often you get the chance to watch football at Wembley, so for  a freebie it was quite decent. The girls enjoyed it but I don't think it was for the football, I'm pretty sure the Mexican wave was far more entertaining, just a decent day out with a bit of positive atmosphere. The match was 3-0 but don't be fool by the scoreline, it was one of the worse 90mins football I had to suffer. Stanway was the (WOTM) but again don't be fool, she just happened to score a softie long range that most men with decent coordination (not being sexist but its true) would have saved. 

I think I will do it again if it is a big match in a big stadium, and max I would pay its prob a tenner per ticket, abd only if kids get half price or free, but assuming that I have nothing to do for the weekend and just needed time filler.

• Like 1

Biggest game of the season today, a win and Bristol City drop points against Man Utd and we will be virtually safe, on the other hand if we lose and Bristol City win then we will be virtually relegated.

Unless we can pull off a major upset on the final day against Arsenal, we're relying on Man Utd and Brighton doing us a favor, Bristol City need to beat one of them to stay up.

4 unbeaten isn't bad but it's just so disappointing when it could/should so easily be 8 points from 4 and have no worries about relegation now. 

Bristol City 0-0 currently, surely United win that. 

Bristol City drawing today would mean they'd still have to beat Brighton on the final day to stay up, but we really could do with them losing, don't want them gaining confidence going into the last day of the season. If they somehow win, then that will almost certainly be us relegated because there's next to no chance that we will get anything from Arsenal.

4 hours ago, useless said:

Man Utd score at last, looking at the stats looks like Bristol City have given them a good game.

Yup, i fancy them to beat Brighton which means we'd need a point against Arsenal but i just can't see that happening. Two 2 last minute blunders will cost us 

Â