Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Looks like Lucy Parker and Lucy Staniforth might be back sooner than expected, Carla Ward has said they're 'back on the grass' and said ' I would envisage certainly one being back next week and then the following week, the other'

Anna Leat has been given a straight red after 4 minutes for handling the ball outside the penalty area.

Sophia Poor makes her debut...

Edited by wishywashy

This could have been a big defeat at the best of times, even more likely now with ten women. No reflection on Sophia Poor though, she's only seventeen, and this Chelsea team capable of scoring a bunch of goals past the best of goalkeepers.

We were likely to lose today anyway, as are most teams away to Chelsea, whatever happens in this game it won't be as disappointing as only getting a point at home to Leicester last time out and other results like that.

The sending off doesn't really hurt us this game, other than we will probably lose by a bigger scoreline than we would have done, which is defeatis I know, but the way it is unfortunately, where it really hurts us is that we're now going to have no senior goalkeepers available for the next three games which is for the rest of the season

Presumably we're going to have try and sort out an emergency loan, although nothing to play for, so might as well give Poor the starts for experience

1 hour ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Can’t blame leat that’s just instinct - shocking by Corsie though

Absolutely you can blame Leat. That's an absolute shocker. She was miles out of her area and must have known where she was and that she couldn't handle. It wasn't just a handle either, it was a full stretch dive! As deliberate a handball as you will see.

These are professional players and that's a ridiculous error of judgement.

But you are absolutely right about Corsie. Then again, our defenders have been brilliant all season at passing the ball to the opposition.

Pluses were Sophia Poor - not much she could do with 2 of the goals, thought although nervous she looked assured handling, hope the injury was more nervous energy than anything serious.  And Hansen coming back, she is a great outlet.  3-0 not the worst we could have had.

in regards to Lear, totally get it, I just don’t think she would have expected it and didn’t check her surroundings just instinct - so you could blame her I suppose, I just don’t 😉 

3-0 isn't actually as bad as I thought could happen before the game and the sending off, never nice to lose in any way of course, and annoying that our only game in almost a month had to be away to Chelsea and then sending off happened, ending any hopes of an upset however remote, but could have been a lot worse.

I didn't see game, but hopefully Poor is okay, she dislocated shoulder playing for first team against Villarreal in the summer which kept her out until recently, hopefully she hasn't aggravated that, some going making her debut at 17, must be one of the youngest WSL keepers if not the youngest

in more positive news our U21s beat Spurs 6-1 today Rachel Maltby, and Martha McPhail with two goals each, and Milly Round and Megan Shaw with the others

Listened to Miri Taylor after the game and she said that she hoped her perforformance last night would kick-start her Villa career. Interesting phrasing with 3 games left, could that be an indicator that she may be staying? I believe we were after her in the summer?

I saw that interview and thought the same thing, unless she just meant the rest of her loan and chose the wrong word whilst being interviewed on the spot. We need a bigger squad next season, so I don't think she would be a bad signing, as long as it's alongside some more quality

I don't know how reliable but some reports suggesting that some clubs in Mexico want Lehmann and have already started negotiations

Edit: Easier to  post link, Carla Ward talking about budget when asked how we progress from being a midtable team, plans have been submitted for next season, now waiting to see if the decision makers back those plans

Edited by useless

Taking my granddaughter to this game, she has never been to VP. she is 10 in September, currently supports Ipswich but hopefully a win today and a visit to the club shop should cure her....

First ever time for me (and her) watching womens football, but it's at VP always a good excuse to go there ☺

VTID

• Like 2

This has been a really strange performance so far, must be into double figures the amount of times we've given it away cheaply either by passing straight to them or straight out of play, playing like the ball is an hot potato, need more composure. They're the better team so far, having more attacks, which is diappointing, they're easily the seond worst team in the division other than Bristol City

That was a pretty poor half from us to say the least, inviting so much pressure onto ourselves, which I thought would be the last thing we would do considering we have an inexperienced seventeen year old in goal, would be avoidable if we kept the ball better and actually mounted some consistent pressure on their goal rather than the few sporadic attacks we've had. Sophia Poor at least has done well when she's been called upon, hopefully the rest of the team help her out better second half

Â