Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

I'm afraid I think we'll fail as well, Brighton aren't that good and Bristol showed a bit about them the other day.

I have to say, after the last two games, I don't really think we deserve to stay up. Just a terrible mentality on display, to crumble twice like that.

Annoying to drop points in injury time again, but a draw is probably a fair result, if anything they were the slightly better of two not great teams, had a bad feeling a soon as we started trying to keep it in the corners when there was still almost ten minutes left to play.

Point isn't totally worthless to us, because of goal difference it means that Bristol City now have to get two points from their final two games against Man Utd and Brighton, they almost certainly won't get anything from Man Utd so bascially means they will have to beat Brighton on the last day to finish above us, they actually beat them earlier in the season but that a surprise result and will be a bigger surprise if they do it again, especially as Brighton have been in form recently.

Basically I think that these draws as annoying as they are will probably end up being what keeps us up.

• Like 1

A really good plan against our women's team is to win a cheap free kick near the box and just float it in to the back post area. Pretty much guaranteed no one touches it and it goes straight in after a melee

I only watched 2nd half so cant comment on 1st and i have to say i thought our women were poor. Their corners were a poor shit show and their defending was awful.

But where the **** the ref get 6 mins from? I thought the blose women were alot better. Deserved point unfortunately.

Havd to say its not really enjoyable. I must be a sexist but i just cant enjoy it like the mens. 😫

• Like 1

We're a very poor side, if we stay up we're going to need a lot of strengthening to the team if we want avoid being as bad next season.

It's funny how much disappointment is being expressed after these last two games in which we've conceded late goals, I say funny because we recently lost six games in a row and there was hardly any reaction to those results, us drawing three in a row is big improvement, and could ultimately end up being what keeps us up, although would be nice to finally get another win and beat West Ham to make sure.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I only watched 2nd half so cant comment on 1st and i have to say i thought our women were poor. Their corners were a poor shit show and their defending was awful.

But where the **** the ref get 6 mins from? I thought the blose women were alot better. Deserved point unfortunately.

Havd to say its not really enjoyable. I must be a sexist but i just cant enjoy it like the mens. 😫

That’s because it’s shit, sorry but I’ve watched a few games now and I find it hard to put it above watching two good Sunday league teams in terms of quality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That’s because it’s shit, sorry but I’ve watched a few games now and I find it hard to put it above watching two good Sunday league teams in terms of quality.

Sadly thats my view too. It is like sunday league. I mean the passing and attacking play is so bad. It just does nothing for me 

• Like 2

respect for everything people are doing to progress the womens game, but it's got a long way to go yet. never really seen it until villa got into the super league, and even then i just watch the highlights

and a decent sunday side beats most super league sides IMO. it's not sexist to say that...i don't mean it to be anyway. didn't some under 15s side beat the man u women's team 10-0 or something fairly recently?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

If you're going to watch women's football you just have to take it for what it is, if you go into it comparing it to mens' football then you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. Their value shouldn't be measured by how they'd get on against mens teams, but how good they are relative to other womens' sides.

Absolutely.  And even on that scale we fall short. 

Disappointingly the big spending and marquee signings made for the women's team haven't gelled at all. It would be nice to think that, like the men's team, this season will have given them the chance to develop and they will be a force next year, but given their ending to the season that is looking unlikely. Looks like a long way to go still, assuming we even manage to stay up. 

Lisa Weiss has had four caps for Germany but honestly after those last minute carbon copy equalisers conceded two games in a row (what a nightmare), I can't help wondering if her reactions are quick enough. Or in her defence, I guess it is possible that players were blocking her view of the ball until it got just a few metres from the goal. I don't know though, the ball seemed to float into the goal not quickly on both occasions! 😕

• Like 1

Even with the signings we made last summer I don't think we expected anything other than a relegation battle, when you bear in mind that we've battered teams this season in the league below that illustrates the gap between the top two divisions.

• Like 1

It’s good to see the same ‘fans’ on this site that hammer the men’s team are consistent by doing the same to the women’s team. Making comparisons between the two teams is laughable with regards to the levels they play at. The difference between the top two levels in women footballers is huge, we are far too good for the second level but not good enough to compete realistically at the higher level. It take times to develop competitive squads, the women’s team are at the beginning of development (as is the women’s game as a whole) for followers of the men’s team to make the ridiculous comments they are making on this thread is laughable.

• Like 1

I enjoy watching the women's football to some degree, can't say I get 'involved' in the game but I find it interesting. Been following their progress since the latter part of last season when they started getting more coverage.

And whilst I agree it is ridiculous to compare with mens football, I must admit that the quality can be SO bad that it's difficult to work out why. Ok, biology, training, investment etc will have pushed some male sports to a different level but I'd wager in most top level sports, women would absolutely destroy Joe Public. Serena would crush us at tennis, Ronda Rousey would smash our faces in, Jessica Ennis would humiliate us at any of the ten decathlon events... But with football, I reckon some Sunday League/ even 5 a side teams would give the ladies teams a stern challenge. I'm not sure why that is really.

7 hours ago, smg said:

It’s good to see the same ‘fans’ on this site that hammer the men’s team are consistent by doing the same to the women’s team. Making comparisons between the two teams is laughable with regards to the levels they play at. The difference between the top two levels in women footballers is huge, we are far too good for the second level but not good enough to compete realistically at the higher level. It take times to develop competitive squads, the women’s team are at the beginning of development (as is the women’s game as a whole) for followers of the men’s team to make the ridiculous comments they are making on this thread is laughable.

Its good to see a whole post just criticising peoples opinions (which they are entitled to have) 

I think what @uselesssaid above makes more sense then your post. He is right you shouldnt compare them both.

Its not enjoyable for me so i wont be watching again. I was more curious to see what the quality was like and this is the 2nd game ive seen and this aston villa womens team needs a massive amount of work. I didnt think it would be on the mens level but i thought we might see league two or league one standard. But sadly it does look like sunday league for me.

Has a hell of a long way to go in general on the evidence i have seen

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I enjoy watching the women's football to some degree, can't say I get 'involved' in the game but I find it interesting. Been following their progress since the latter part of last season when they started getting more coverage.

And whilst I agree it is ridiculous to compare with mens football, I must admit that the quality can be SO bad that it's difficult to work out why. Ok, biology, training, investment etc will have pushed some male sports to a different level but I'd wager in most top level sports, women would absolutely destroy Joe Public. Serena would crush us at tennis, Ronda Rousey would smash our faces in, Jessica Ennis would humiliate us at any of the ten decathlon events... But with football, I reckon some Sunday League/ even 5 a side teams would give the ladies teams a stern challenge. I'm not sure why that is really.

Thats exactly my thoughts too jack. I dont understand how their is such a huge gap. Like you say is it coaching? The conditioning of the footballers? I have no idea.

I mean some of these women goal keepers i have seen are useless.

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

respect for everything people are doing to progress the womens game, but it's got a long way to go yet. never really seen it until villa got into the super league, and even then i just watch the highlights

and a decent sunday side beats most super league sides IMO. it's not sexist to say that...i don't mean it to be anyway. didn't some under 15s side beat the man u women's team 10-0 or something fairly recently?

Great if females want to get involved, and all the benefits of regular sport - both mentally and physically.

What irks me is the way it is marketed as a comparable sports to mens football. Before COVID there was talk of games been played before men's home games to try and drum up interest.

If it develops into something people way to pay to watch in any great numbers fine. But it has to stand on its own feet - not piggyback on the men's game.

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

Great if females want to get involved, and all the benefits of regular sport - both mentally and physically.

What irks me is the way it is marketed as a comparable sports to mens football. Before COVID there was talk of games been played before men's home games to try and drum up interest.

If it develops into something people way to pay to watch in any great numbers fine. But it has to stand on its own feet - not piggyback on the men's game.

100% this.

It needs its own identity and im guilty of comparing it to the mens its because of the way its being potrayed and marketed.

I hope it does get more popular but i cant see it 

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

this is it for me...whilst i do agree that it's wrong to directly compare womens to mens football, but the difference in quality between the 2 genders does seem to be MUCH more than any other sport.

i went to a 7s rugby tournament a few years back and the england and wales international womens teams played each other during the afternoon and the quality was considerably superior to the amateur mens games...which you would expect. i guess with the amount of investment the women's game is getting now, i don't understand why the gap is still so wide

Â