Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Right now, he’s our second best central midfielder in an area we are very poor in if we’re honest.

Selling him would be one step closer to relegation. 

This is coming from someone who doesn’t particularly rate Luiz all that highly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He gets to be surrounded by the Gerrard aura. That's why everyone is here. To bask in that golden glow.

And that’s why Douggie can’t leave now! Gerrard hasn’t even started telling the 2006 FA Cup final story yet… 

I find these rumours of a move to Liverpool hard to believe, he's not good enough for them and they already have an host of midfielders better than him.

To be honest I think he's become a little overrated, that's not to say he's a bad player just not as good as he's suddenly being made out to be.

I think he will still be a Villa player when the window closes and I wouldn't be surprised if a new contract is announced, which will be good news, but at the same time I don't think it would be the end of the word if he was to leave, as long as we get in a decent replacement.

You can’t blame Douglas-Luiz, he’s probably not the only player seriously considering his exit options. It will seriously dent our hopes for the season, hopes and expectations that have already dropped ten league positions. 
I’ll also lose some faith in how well run we are as a club. It’s mental how much has changed in just a year, it’s depressing really.

So Liverpool (former recent PL Champions and title contenders) are apparently in for him but he can’t even get into our team properly. Stevie **** G the worst manager we’ve ever had doesn’t rate him but CL and PL winning Klopp wants him. If true then this board should veto any transfers away from the club that Gerrard is happy with.

Basically, if Gerrard wants to get rid or bomb someone out then he’s that thick that I believe the opposite and that they must be good players. 

Villa lol.

Edited by Ingram85

If I was Luiz and Liverpool had come in for me I would move heaven and earth to get that done. We are not going to be challenging for any top 8 position for the foreseeable future with the level of investment the club is making ( Not a slight on the club just a fact with the level of investment we are making compared to our competitors), so it would be poor on us to take away this opportunity for him. On a side note I am astounded how much the wheels have fallen off this season. The owners need to get a grip on this quick or their investment so far will be for nothing.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

We’ve tried to secure him down to a new deal for a long time. He’s welcome to not sign it, this isn’t a new development. If he does sign, great. We clearly came back with a huge offer. But equally, if the club can secure funds rather than risk a free departure that’s sensible. We shall see. 

Have we though? All I'm seeing is speculation and nothing concrete to suggest we've actually offered him anything other than a place on Gerrard's bench watching a shit midfield struggle.

Why are people talking like Gerrard is in charge of transfers. Sure, he’s responsible for picking the team and possibly causing players to want to leave, but deciding to sell them is not really up to him. Certainly not how much and to which club.

12 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Think he'd be very useful in Liverpool's system tbh. It's like Gerrard is deliberately sabotaging us for the next manager at this stage, utterly bizarre if we allow him and Sanson to leave 

Not sure he's athletic and quick enough for all the running required, but apart from that Dougie could be a decent fit for Liverpool's midfield as he's reliable in possession and a good passer.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

we are in a shit situation with Doug… 

will he sign a a new contract? If not, we have to sell… as late as that is, we can’t let him go for free 

Exactly. We have to sell if he won't sign a new contract.

I don't understand how it has taken us so long to get him to sign a new contract if we were in advanced talks with him. It was the same with Chukwuemeka.

Given what has happened to him in terms of playing time I can't see why he would want to hang about, and I don't think he will.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I don't understand how it has taken us so long to get him to sign a new contract if we were in advanced talks with him.

Probably cos when you put players such as Ings, Bailey, Coutinho and Digne on big contracts, other players who have contributed more to the club over the years will want similar. 

So negotiating that would be difficult. That's complete guesswork. If I was him i'd be asking for big money. 

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

we are in a shit situation with Doug… 

will he sign a a new contract? If not, we have to sell… as late as that is, we can’t let him go for free 

Why not? Players playing out their contracts is not that unusual these days. See Kamara as an example.  

Â