Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

So much smoke about Douglas Luiz, I think he is such an important player for Villa but we'd be mad to sell him to another PL team.

Barca, ok fine but they couldn't afford him. Rice and Caicedo have set the bar. Luiz has £120 million all over him for me! For FFP Villa probably will eventually have to sell him unless we get CL football.

All this will go away if we get top four this season. Media are trying to pick us apart.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Barca have no money! We also know that not everybody in the Arsenal recruitment team are as enamoured with Dougie.  This is a poor story by John Townley, which I’m surprised about.

He is really good normally , but he has his paymasters.  Clickbait . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So much smoke about Douglas Luiz, I think he is such an important player for Villa but we'd be mad to sell him to another PL team.

Barca, ok fine but they couldn't afford him. Rice and Caicedo have set the bar. Luiz has £120 million all over him for me! For FFP Villa probably will eventually have to sell him unless we get CL football.

All this will go away if we get top four this season. Media are trying to pick us apart.

Nothing new there, and I guess the last couple of games, will have them less excited about our progress, its dampened their frenzy, thats one positive.

He is an important player for us and more importantly with the money, could we buy a replacement, probably not.

I don't think it will go away, and even if we get better, it will intensify...we just have to ignore it, and get on with our WIP.

We are gradually, getting stronger and stronger....still can't believe we got Pau....I think that was a watershed moment for us....If Moussa can find his true form, that will be another coup too.

not too many will want to leave Villa of their own volition.

On 27/12/2023 at 09:55, JPJCB said:

When the facts change, I change my mind? Is that tricky to understand?

Much the same as you I was unconvinced by Doug for a long time and it’s the last 12 months that he’s proved me wrong. Even now I don’t think he’s a bad player by any means but last night showed me that he isn’t a leader. When the chips are down you want players to step up and want to get on the ball and take control of the game- the opposite of what Luiz did. Apparently it’s kneejerk to say that I now think accepting a £100m fee for him- a fee that would make him the third most expensive player of all time- might not be a bad idea. Ok then? 

Im less pessimistic than you are about our ability to find a decent replacement. We found Kamara for a free transfer and how much would you say he’s worth now. Or we could spend £50m on two very very good midfielders (if not as good as Luiz) which would solve our depth problem in that area 

I was one of those, that was not so sure about Dougie....but for me he was played as a 6, and I still don't think he is.....Dougie for me, is an 8 and a very good one.

Dougie is missing Kamara to carry the load....it was no surprise to me to see, Dougies game rise exponentially with the introduction of a quality CDM... I am just surprised, we only have one of real quality....so Dougie is back on his own again...temporarily of course.

I think Dougie controls games with guile, and not dominance of the ball, but he needs a Kamara to help with that.

Very few players, in world football have everything.....I think maybe Jude Bellingham, might be one.

On 27/12/2023 at 07:41, Pinebro said:

Always gonna create drama out of nothing ain't we?

No one is saying they want to get rid of Luiz. I want him to stay.

What I'm saying is if he wants to go and Arsenal is prepared to give us 100 M it's not gonna be the end of the world for me.

For that money I do believe we can get in someone as good or even better.

That's it. 100m of cold hard cash is pretty sweet in FFP world, and above his market value. He's worth 70-80 million, but 100 million is the premium you have to pay to get him off our squad.

A lot of money to enhance across the side. Last two games have shown some weaknesses in squad depth.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Another poor performance where he didn't do enough. Coasted.

Not a good pen. Fortunate IMO. It is good he's moving round the goal though, don't think he's hit two the same yet.

Don't remember his penalty run up being quite that silly and elaborate? Could be mistaken. 

If he must have Kamara next to him to not be anonymous then he's not the player I thought he was to be honest. I expect better because he's outrageously talented. I think Emery will as well.

Be interesting to see him moved forward if we bring in another midfielder. He'll have to quicken it up for sure.

I think your being harsh on him. He's obviously been unwell this week. He's also been Mr Consistent the last 18 months so imo deserves some slack. And he netted the winner. 

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think your being harsh on him. He's obviously been unwell this week. He's also been Mr Consistent the last 18 months so imo deserves some slack. And he netted the winner. 

I am. Because he's class.

Â