Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

19 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

He's such a class player that it boggles me how long it's taken for people to realise how good he is.

People aren’t good at spotting potential or giving young players time. Even now you’ll hear about how he was poor for spells over the last couple of years… yes, so are all 22 year olds at times, but agreed the signs he would be absolutely class by 24/25 were always there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/03/2023 at 10:25, Adam2003 said:

People aren’t good at spotting potential or giving young players time. Even now you’ll hear about how he was poor for spells over the last couple of years… yes, so are all 22 year olds at times, but agreed the signs he would be absolutely class by 24/25 were always there.

I personally find you get a mixture of opinions. Some inevitably react too quickly and make up their minds, and others more often than given credit for continuously point out the good and the things you've mentioned.  The more unfortunate aspect of social media is the need for one group to point out the faults of the other, which sort of demeans the opinion on offer. I often wonder why people can't just say a positive thing on here and not worry about the often well-worn opposite? Other than that, I completely agree with you.

The run at the beginning that eventually ends up in the situation where he scores and the one at 1:48 highlight something I'm always blown away by with Dougie; the way that he can run huge distances with the ball and never look at it. In all of the clips, if you look at his head it's so often up and scanning the pitch, his control of the ball seems almost innate.

• Like 4

On 20/03/2023 at 09:49, TheMightyVillans said:

1:38 was outrageous 

Yeah I thought that too. The control on his chest and then flicking the ball over his head and over the Bournemouth player to a teammate's feet. What?!!!  😮😵😮

A bit cheeky and risky I suppose but incredible skill and such confidence to do that.

On 21/03/2023 at 10:25, Adam2003 said:

Yeah agree.

I honestly think (and my posts on here since he joined should hopefully confirm) that it’s been blindingly obvious that he will be an elite player. It’s the touch and the composure and the positional awareness, which have always been evident, but now he’s adding physicality to it, and playing in an organised system.

Guardiola wasn’t lying when he said he wanted him at City. We’ve been haunted by Alex Ferguson’s bullshit about all the Man Utd cast offs.

Only injuries or life issues will stop this guy from going to the very top IMO.

4 hours ago, robby b said:

Remember when he first came to us and it was just on loan from Man City. Didn't they loan him to us because they couldn't sort out a visa for him? Was it because of some quota of foreign players which they'd already reached or something like that? I can't remember now.

Anyway, thank goodness they were forced to loan him out. And also that they later decided to sell him to us... Maybe they're starting to regret that now, I wonder. 🤔 (Which I think calls for a ha...  Ha! )

Nope, we signed him outright from the start. There was a clause that they could buy him back in the first 2 years but he was never here on loan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Nope, we signed him outright from the start. There was a clause that they could buy him back in the first 2 years but he was never here on loan.

I think I read somewhere they didnt activate the clause as a Goodwill Gesture in the Grealish deal

100 million plus keeping Luiz is a good deal

• Like 1

i hate how they cut off the very start of that run which led to the first goal cos it was lovely. Pete the canadian on youtube pointed out in his last video how much more villa players were developing a stop and go go move to their play - slowing down the opposition before bursting away. its interesting to watch

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I was listening to Denis by Blondie today and thinking does it work for a DL chant… I am aware these always look awful when you write them out, but something like:

Dougie Dougie, he wears claret and blue

Dougie Dougie, he’s Villa through and through

Dougie Dougie, we’re so in love with you

I said this a few pages back. Also works with Luiz Luiz... 

• Like 1

Douglas Luiz is far and away better than  the earlier version , under previous managers.

I was never quite convinced on the earlier version.....but I am now.

I would still like to see him further forward, but his time in defensive duties, will serve him well, in his overall game.

Its quite obvious, he loves being at the club, and that is a huge filip.

I am very much back in the groove, with Dougie and enjoying his play.

one of the first names on the team sheet now, with his injury record being a plus.

class player.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Â