Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 19/02/2023 at 22:02, Bazmonkey said:

Sorry....the midfield is the main problem....either to weak...to passive....drops to deep....

21 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I agree, Arsenal chased him over the summer for one reason, he is quality. I like the look of kamara but that's more about potential. Luiz has played a lot of games for us over the last few years, a steal at the 15m we paid for him.

I do agree with that....15m was a steal.....I still see him further forward, always have....and his one good feature is, he is comfortable on the ball.

However, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Baz monkeys comments.......The midfield still has issues, and on Saturday Odegard, Xhaka and Jorginho, was too strong for us.....we still need a general in there to lead the team, and direct operations like Mortimer did.

We are midtable for a reason, we would do well to look for the reasons why.....and I don't think its just scoring goals.

We lose the ball too often and too easily, that has to be looked at.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I like Dougie a lot but I think he needs some competition. I don’t think we have anyone at present that can force him out of the team. 

How we set up at present Ramsey will be used on the left, McGinn on the right, there’s no depth in Dougie’s spot. 

Emery likes to use his bench so I think we’ve got scope to get a LM/CAM, RM and CM in, the CM option being someone to push Dougie.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dunno, think it's almost an unfair comparison.

What's weird to me is that, they could actually both learn things from each other, and I have seen suggestions of it happening somewhat.

For example, I think Kamara is much better than Doug defensively, whereas Doug in much better going forward and with quick thinking flair , as well as shooting etc obviously.

When Kamara has been at his best for us, i've seen him almost steadily begin to get involved in attacks more, and finding more incisive passes etc.

Whereas i think Doug is now also getting better defensively.

I'd rather say they are almost perfect foil than to try and detract from either.

What i think they are missing is another " Kamara " or " Luiz on form " version of themselves in front of and around them to make it a well oiled machine.

I do currently feel like Kamara probably has the higher all round ceiling though, but as you say, close.

Bare in mind, I've been one of Dougs biggest crtitics as a " DCM " over the years.

Agree with a lot of this but not actually sure Dougie is better going forward. He gets forward more and is decent at it but when Kamara goes, he really does do it with purpose.

Look at his role in this goal from picking it up off Mings (swipe from the photo). Superb:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co5DMbdoIQf/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Not forgetting his role in Bailey's goal against Leeds as well.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2023 at 02:14, Tom13 said:

That does worry me a little - what happens to us if him or Kamara get injured.

Not too worried about Luiz missing to be honest.  Dendoncker isn't as good, but is adequate enough as cover.  Kamara would be a massive blow.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not too worried about Luiz missing to be honest.  Dendoncker isn't as good, but is adequate enough as cover.  Kamara would be a massive blow.

I think he would be a massive loss as it limits our passing options playing out the back.  We desperately need to sign genuine competition for both in the summer.

Just now, gwi1890 said:

I think he would be a massive loss as it limits our passing options playing out the back.  We desperately need to sign genuine competition for both in the summer.

True. I think Luiz is lacking in some aspects of his play, but he's very comfortable taking the ball off the defenders and that massively helps us a team. Previously, when McGinn and Ramsey were doing it, we were struggling.

I actually think Emery may go after a new centre half and central midfielder in the Summer to further reinforce his playing style. 

• Like 3

On 20/02/2023 at 20:26, burchy said:

Emery likes to use his bench so I think we’ve got scope to get a LM/CAM, RM and CM in, the CM option being someone to push Dougie.

I think Guendouzi will be added to play across midfield rather than lots of new midfielders. He is capable in all areas, including Doug's, and I would think would be used in rotation with the rest of the mids.

1 hour ago, picicata said:

I think Guendouzi will be added to play across midfield rather than lots of new midfielders. He is capable in all areas, including Doug's, and I would think would be used in rotation with the rest of the mids.

We've already noted that Dougie can play further forward as well, so maybe dougie at times could fill in on the narrow right midfield position with Guendouzi in the centre with Bewbs.

15 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

We've already noted that Dougie can play further forward as well, so maybe dougie at times could fill in on the narrow right midfield position with Guendouzi in the centre with Bewbs.

i thought this.

Kamara/Guendouzi in the centre, the Luiz in that left midfield role that cuts inside and is the more progressive midfield role.

Then a new right midfielder/winger and a new shadow striker, imo both need to offer pace, power, technique etc (maybe not so much power, but they need to be able to handle the prems physicality - ie: Bailey cant seem to).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unwell, eight paracetamol yesterday, his partner kicked out of the game, and a battle to be won against some of the most physical midfields in the league.

Some effort today from Douglas Luiz -  I thought he showed a lot of character.

His partner kicked out of the game?

Â