Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

51 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Excellent player. Shame he got booked today so was subbed off - big drop off in quality between him and Dendoncker. 

Really hope we get Guendouzi.  Kamara, Luiz and Guendouzi will be a really impressive trio.  Also means that if we need to sub one of them off that the likes of Dendoncker / McGinn / Ramsey are coming in to play alongside a strong central duo - so the dropoff is (to a greater extent) mitigated.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, allani said:

Really hope we get Guendouzi.  Kamara, Luiz and Guendouzi will be a really impressive trio.  Also means that if we need to sub one of them off that the likes of Dendoncker / McGinn / Ramsey are coming in to play alongside a strong central duo - so the dropoff is (to a greater extent) mitigated.

Yeah, same. I think it's pretty clear that the wide/3rd CM role is the one that needs upgrading.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If that was the case we wouldn’t have lost the midfield battle today, especially in the second half. I like Luiz, he’s a tidy player, but he’s no general. 

It went downhill when he went off though?

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It went downhill when he went off though?

That’s because he’s a good, tidy player and much better than Dendoncker. I just don’t think he’s a general. He doesn’t control games enough or dictate the pace like Kamara can. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s because he’s a good, tidy player and much better than Dendoncker. I just don’t think he’s a general. He doesn’t control games enough or dictate the pace like Kamara can. 

I think he has dominated games in midfield that brighton game i think it was he was bossing the cm

Might as well go for Admiral Schoefield, he's even taller. Granted he's a basketball player but everything else checks out.

Luiz & Kamara is one of the few things that can stay as they are in the summer.

• Like 2

Doug for me is ok on the ball but not so good off it. He sometimes tries to be too clever and plays short passes in areas that are crowded with players, tends to chase the ball around as well, numerous times where we have two players going for the same ball. 

2 hours ago, tinker said:

He sometimes tries to be too clever and plays short passes in areas that are crowded with players

That's one of his strengths for me. Unfortunately there's only a select other few in the squad who can play in tight spaces.

2 hours ago, tinker said:

He sometimes tries to be too clever and plays short passes in areas that are crowded with players, tends to chase the ball around as well, numerous times where we have two players going for the same ball. 

His ability to play those little passes is the absolute key to what we do - it's Luiz's little flick passes, neat balls to feet and little lofts over players heads that get us out from deep and start most of our attacks. Playing short passes in areas that are crowded with players is what he's strongest at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the thing holding Dougie back is that he’s not as good under pressure like Kamara. Kamara can really use a feint or a turn to lose one or multiple markers while Dougie really struggles when challenged and goes to ground more easily. 

I still like the balance and he’s our leader in assists. It might be more of a situation where he plays better with better passers around him. It’s hard to orchestrate a neat little rondo when you’re trying to combine with Cash, Mcginn (or JJ), and Konsa. Kamara has it easier with Mings, Moreno and Buendia on the other side. 

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's interesting that we're talking about things holding him back.

He's been our best player this season.

While true, I think that as a collective we’re more worried about losing Kamara because his baseline is already at Dougie’s level and still has room for growth. Some of that is Dougie’s new contract. 

Can Dougie really develop into much more? I’m sure he can play better with a better side around him but just in my opinion, we’re near his ceiling. 

And all that being said, Luiz-Kamara is one of the last things I’m worried about. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's interesting that we're talking about things holding him back.

He's been our best player this season.

I wouldnt disagree with that. i thought he was our best midfield player yesterday. Amazed he was taken off. 

On 18/02/2023 at 15:44, Bazmonkey said:

Private more like.

The lad from Chelsea for them today was a general. Poles apart in terms of how they play

He had the most passes of any of our outfield players despite only playing 67 minutes. Had 3 tackles as well. 

Also Jorginho is maybe the best in the world at his role so comparing Luiz to him is hardly a good faith comparison. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If that was the case we wouldn’t have lost the midfield battle today, especially in the second half. I like Luiz, he’s a tidy player, but he’s no general. 

I mean arsenal dominated city's midfield. And I think people would call rodri or de Bruyne midfield generals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I mean arsenal dominated city's midfield. And I think people would call rodri or de Bruyne midfield generals. 

Perhaps, but that pair are still brilliant and boss most games. I don’t think Luiz is there yet. He’s not a general. Just a tidy midfield player who at the moment, is probably one of our better players 

Â