Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

54 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The football Smith would have got this squad playing, my word.

We would be putting lesser teams to the sword with a swagger and the bigger teams plenty to worry about 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Any chance you can sign a new contract doug.

3 - 4 year extension with a 30m buy out clause will be fine.

Why on earth would he do that under Gerrard? Who sees him mainly as Kamara's backup.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We would playing playing in the Championship  if Smith had stayed.

OK?

It was probably time for Smith to go.

If however, he had this squad at the start of the season, we'd have played sumptuous football before any injuries.

We don't miss Carlos or Kamara because we didn't try and do anything anyway. We just sit behind game and boot it to Watkins.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Playing 3-5-2?

DS didn't have much more idea of how to fit Watkins and Ings into effective final third as Gerrard has.

Panic buying Ings was the beginning of our problems....

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Panic buying Ings was the beginning of our problems....

Yep, we desperately needed a forward who could primarily play from left to link up with Ollie and Bailey/Buendia on other side. Remember those links to Alvarez who's now at Man. City?

Baffles me why we never went for Bowen in summer 2019 when that was our transfer model on being promoted. He was still at Hull City then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

We would playing playing in the Championship  if Smith had stayed.

I don't think it would have been that bad, but he made the same mistake SG made, i.e. the Dougie-JJ-McGinn midfield. At least Deano had the excuse of fewer choices. We know now that subbing Kamara for Dougie didn't help and that it's the combo of JJ and McGinn that unbalances things, but SG still can't see that. I'd be starting JJ-Kamara-Doug when Kamara is healthy. And I'd be trying Donck or Sanson right now because it's been over a year of failure through two different managers with the current combo.

1 hour ago, TomC said:

I don't think it would have been that bad, but he made the same mistake SG made, i.e. the Dougie-JJ-McGinn midfield. At least Deano had the excuse of fewer choices. We know now that subbing Kamara for Dougie didn't help and that it's the combo of JJ and McGinn that unbalances things, but SG still can't see that. I'd be starting JJ-Kamara-Doug when Kamara is healthy. And I'd be trying Donck or Sanson right now because it's been over a year of failure through two different managers with the current combo.

Sanson was almost never fit under him, so the only other midfield option was Nakamba, who realistically is only a replacement for Dougie and not either McGinn or JJ who were the main culprits.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Gonna miss Dougie if he leaves. Will be a while before we have another midfielder comfortable enough in possession to try some of those impudent flicks from midfield he likes to do.

He goes with my best wishes i dont have any hard feelings towards him. We should have never have allowed it to get to this.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He goes with my best wishes i dont have any hard feelings towards him. We should have never have allowed it to get to this.

We should have accepted Arsenals offer of £25m in the summer window, gonna lose him for a few million in Jan or for nothing in July.

59 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We should have accepted Arsenals offer of £25m in the summer window, gonna lose him for a few million in Jan or for nothing in July.

If we had to go the full season without him (and now without Kamara temporarily), I'd say there's a decent chance we'd be in a relegation battle. And I think that's why we didn't sell. The board can see his importance, just a shame Steven doesn't see him as a starter.

Â