Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

No he didnt, he was very good until the Covid break and has been rumoured he got bad covid. Even then his form wasn't that bad 

This year he rushed back from holiday to play and has been one of our better players all season. He wasnt on the pitch for our 2 worst performances this season

Its down to perceptions, he was good after the covid break but then football was different and last season he was found wanting in the DM role time and time again

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its down to perceptions, he was good after the covid break but then football was different and last season he was found wanting in the DM role time and time again

Mm what are the examples when he was found wanting? This seems a myth made up about him that he wasnt good because he isnt 6 foot 5

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mm what are the examples when he was found wanting? This seems a myth made up about him that he wasnt good because he isnt 6 foot 5

This is where most people start losing any rational debate or point they might have had.

I'm guessing Nakamba , who most people agree has been very good in the role, is 6 foot 9. Or we going to use the next best/worse throwaway comment, and note that, it must be because he's very black, and Luiz is only " Caramel "? 🤔🤦🏿

I wish people would just stick to the actual footballing arguments people try to make, without resorting to childish jibes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is where most people start losing any rational debate or point they might have had.

I'm guessing Nakamba , who most people agree has been very good in the role, is 6 foot 9. Or we going to use the next best/worse throwaway comment, and note that, it must be because he's very black, and Luiz is only " Caramel "? 🤔🤦🏿

I wish people would just stick to the actual footballing arguments people try to make, without resorting to childish jibes.

It's become a thing because most of the players that's been suggested to solve our DCM issue have been wildly different types, most of them not actually deep holding DCM's (or utterly useless) but rather box to box ones but have often in common that they are taller than Luiz. It's a running joke.

McTominay, Sander Berge, Axel Tuanzebe :crylaugh:,  Bissouma (fantastic but not a DCM) and so on and so on. There are loads of em'. It makes the argument hard to take serious, especially when Luiz has better defensive stats than them.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

It's become a thing because most of the players that's been suggested to solve our DCM issue have been wildly different types, most of them not actually deep holding DCM's (or utterly useless) but rather box to box ones but have often in common that they are taller than Luiz. It's a running joke.

McTominay, Sander Berge, Axel Tuanzebe :crylaugh:,  Bissouma (fantastic but not a DCM) and so on and so on. There are loads of em'. It makes the argument hard to take serious, especially when Luiz has better defensive stats than them.

I'm very happy with Nakamba atm and he isn't the tallest guy.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Don't forget Philip Billing

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

You don’t need to be 6 foot 5 to be a good DM, Douglas isn’t a good DM because defensively he’s not great

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You don’t need to be 6 foot 5 to be a good DM, Douglas isn’t a good DM because defensively he’s not great

Ok but… Nakamba looked poor at DM until very recently.

I think Gerrard will give Luiz time at 6 this season, and I think with the tighter, narrower shape, his defensive skills will look much better.

For me he’s just a technical centre mid who can play anywhere in the midfield. Similar to Gundogan, Scholes, Pirlo, etc.

People obsess a bit too much about who should start and where everyone belongs, but every match is different.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Ok but… Nakamba looked poor at DM until very recently.

I think Gerrard will give Luiz time at 6 this season, and I think with the tighter, narrower shape, his defensive skills will look much better.

For me he’s just a technical centre mid who can play anywhere in the midfield. Similar to Gundogan, Scholes, Pirlo, etc.

People obsess a bit too much about who should start and where everyone belongs, but every match is different.

Nakamba has always been ok defensively, he’s just not been great on the ball. I’m a big fan of Luiz but I think we’ll see now how we’ve been using him wrong for a while. Same with Mcginn. Going into the season I wouldn’t of ever had Marv starting, so I felt we we had Luiz, Mcginn, Sanson and Ramsey who are all fairly similar players and I think that’s why we struggled in the middle. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’ll be our POTS this year. You heard it here first. 

And then we’ll probably have to sell him. Come on Villa, give the lad a new deal!

I highly doubt it's Villa who is dragging their feet on the deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Nakamba has always been ok defensively, he’s just not been great on the ball. I’m a big fan of Luiz but I think we’ll see now how we’ve been using him wrong for a while. Same with Mcginn. Going into the season I wouldn’t of ever had Marv starting, so I felt we we had Luiz, Mcginn, Sanson and Ramsey who are all fairly similar players and I think that’s why we struggled in the middle. 

Nakamba’s defensive positioning was very poor until recently. Yes he could thunder into a 50-50 but he was often miles away from where he should be.

That’s changed, and I think that same off the ball work will improve perceptions of Luiz’s defensive abilities.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy to see him playing well in that role he played vs City - he looked so much more dynamic and creative.

But I think he is capable of doing both, and where we expect more possession, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a midfield of Luiz holding and two of McGinn / Sanson / Ramsey / Chukwuemeka in front.

Remember Gerrard himself played all over the midfield, so he’ll know himself the value of being flexible.

• Like 2

Â