Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, TRO said:

so ...... who do you see having the main responsibilty in their function to stopping the oppositions passages of play?

You can call the position any name you want.....but somebody has to be responsible for doing the job.......who is it?

You forsake attacking fluidity with a DCM. I like double pivot more as a balance but you can play horses for courses. Nakamba did fine job in DCM when called upon. Wins over Leeds Arsenal Spurs and Chelsea when he played close to 90

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Ok? 

I see him as a CM, in answer to your question.

so do I ,FWIW.

I wasn't being funny, but I think there is a lot of crossed wires, when it comes to talking about Midfield.

Personally, I find it strange when some say Luiz or Nakamba......different type of players for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

so ...... who do you see having the main responsibilty in their function to stopping the oppositions passages of play?

I know you weren't asking me but it's the head coach/manager. I don't really care what you call them. As here it's Smith, the cone putter outer I suppose😉 After that it's a team effort.

The team needs to be set up correctly and know exactly when the right time to press is and what triggers this press and it needs to led from the front and everyone needs to know exactly what their role is within the  system. The team needs to be set before pressing and not having Watkins shooting up to the defender and nobody following - they'll pass it around him and they'll be further up the field. This responsibility ultimately falls to Smith.

I read somewhere that Dalglish used to give Rush the shout to go and start pressurising the defenders when they had the ball as he would first check to see that everyone else was in position to start pressing as a team. You assign the responsibility of ball winning to one player and you get other players passing that responsibility on to that player. Every single one of them has a responsibility to win the ball and stop the opposition playing but the ultimate responsibility lies with Smith in my opinion.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

so do I ,FWIW.

I wasn't being funny, but I think there is a lot of crossed wires, when it comes to talking about Midfield.

Personally, I find it strange saying Luiz or Nakamba......different type of players for me.

While we agree on where we see him in a preferred role, not going to give up on his development as a permanent DM. He was good this morning for Brazil, Ecuador were pressing high up the pitch, he was communicating well with the CD’s and telling them where to pass. Haven’t seen that in his game at Villa yet, not the finished article.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You forsake attacking fluidity with a DCM. I like double pivot more as a balance but you can play horses for courses. Nakamba did fine job in DCM when called upon. Wins over Leeds Arsenal Spurs and Chelsea when he played close to 90

Yeah...I get all that.......but if you get a good enough one, its not so forsaking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I know you weren't asking me but it's the head coach/manager. I don't really care what you call them. As here it's Smith, the cone putter outer I suppose😉 After that it's a team effort.

The team needs to be set up correctly and know exactly when the right time to press is and what triggers this press and it needs to led from the front and everyone needs to know exactly what their role is within the  system. The team needs to be set before pressing and not having Watkins shooting up to the defender and nobody following - they'll pass it around him and they'll be further up the field. This responsibility ultimately falls to Smith.

I read somewhere that Dalglish used to give Rush the shout to go and start pressurising the defenders when they had the ball as he would first check to see that everyone else was in position to start pressing as a team. You assign the responsibility of ball winning to one player and you get other players passing that responsibility on to that player. Every single one of them has a responsibility to win the ball and stop the opposition playing but the ultimate responsibility lies with Smith in my opinion.

Feel free, its a forum, grateful for you input.

feasible comment.....and I get it...thanks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

While we agree on where we see him in a preferred role, not going to give up on his development as a permanent DM. He was good this morning for Brazil, Ecuador were pressing high up the pitch, he was communicating well with the CD’s and telling them where to pass. Haven’t seen that in his game at Villa yet, not the finished article.

I didn't see the game....but heartened, by what you say.

I want him to come good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Which side of the game?

I'm going by what I see.

His general ability to create shots/chances, carrying of the ball etc is up the with the best in Europe but his defensive contributions generally aren't plentiful, so much so that Luiz outperformed him in that area last season. At club level anyway.

1 hour ago, sne said:

You watch Lille and Sanches a lot?

Fwiw he missed almost half the season due to injuries and played at both RM, LM, ACM & CM when he did play. And it was much of the same the season before that up until the season was abandoned.

Yeah Sanches is a bit of odd comparison given Portugal structure had Moutinho behind him and we know he's a DM from seeing him at Wolves last few seasons and Palhinha is also a defensive midfielder.

He pressed well from the front....but I'm sure McGinn and Luiz would if they had security of two defensive midfielders behind them e.g. Nakamba and a new signing.

In some games in March we actually had Sanson as the trigger of our press which was interesting.

There's some good midfielders in middle for us but just feels like we're still lacking ability to find right combination, I mean McGinn effectively playing as a 6 for half of last season wasn't a great tactic so can't see that being repeated and if that means him being on the bench for some games so be it.

When Luiz came on for Jack at Spurs he played as 8 and I thought he was really good in helping us see out the win and also used the ball very well on counter attacks so he can do stuff once he crosses the halfway line if we push him forward.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't see the game....but heartened, by what you say.

I want him to come good.

He has come good.

Came in and helped us stay up, helped us to one of best defensives in league until he lost form in February. He now is regular for a top 5 if not higher team in international football who have ridiculous options in his position (Casemiro, Fabinho etc)

I think that's pretty good going considering he was very much work in progress when we got him in 2019.

If Buendia can be the same in two years time I'd be very happy.

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

His general ability to create shots/chances, carrying of the ball etc is up the with the best in Europe but his defensive contributions generally aren't plentiful, so much so that Luiz outperformed him in that area last season. At club level anyway.

yes I agree.....He is a No8 for me playing as a No6....so I accept some criticism is a tad unfair, but thats where the manager plays him......The opposition, do not make allowances.

but when I watch him as a No6 I have to appraise him as such.....judging by his MOTM votes of VT so did everyone else.

I try not to judge players on what they are going to be, thats for scouts and better placed people than me.

as an example.....I had no idea, that Jack would turn out to be this good......I knew he had talent, but this is another dimension.

I too am hoping Dougie Improves his game.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He has come good.

Came in and helped us stay up, helped us to one of best defensives in league until he lost form in February. He now is regular for a top 5 if not higher team in international football who have ridiculous options in his position (Casemiro, Fabinho etc)

I think that's pretty good going considering he was very much work in progress when we got him in 2019.

If Buendia can be the same in two years time I'd be very happy.

I see it a bit different to you, Chris....but hey ho.

after covid last season, I would agree.....but all last season, No.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah Sanches is a bit of odd comparison given Portugal structure had Moutinho behind him and we know he's a DM from seeing him at Wolves last few seasons and Palhinha is also a defensive midfielder.

He pressed well from the front....but I'm sure McGinn and Luiz would if they had security of two defensive midfielders behind them e.g. Nakamba and a new signing.

In some games in March we actually had Sanson as the trigger of our press which was interesting.

There's some good midfielders in middle for us but just feels like we're still lacking ability to find right combination, I mean McGinn effectively playing as a 6 for half of last season wasn't a great tactic so can't see that being repeated and if that means him being on the bench for some games so be it.

When Luiz came on for Jack at Spurs he played as 8 and I thought he was really good in helping us see out the win and also used the ball very well on counter attacks so he can do stuff once he crosses the halfway line if we push him forward.

I see Luiz as a no 8...not a no 6.

E.G Cowans was not a DM....but he won the ball, quite often.

my point is, we have to win the ball better and more often, doesn't matter who does it, as long as we do it.

• Like 2

Would be interested to see @Villan4Life’s thoughts on Doug…

I’m glad we retained him and can see so much potential there but, like others, I’m not completely sure whether he would be best at DM or CM. Dean clearly favours him at DM as a DLP.

290ED0AA-BE1C-4072-A242-7BB31D6962CE.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Would be interested to see @Villan4Life’s thoughts on Doug…

I’m glad we retained him and can see so much potential there but, like others, I’m not completely sure whether he would be best at DM or CM. Dean clearly favours him at DM as a DLP.

290ED0AA-BE1C-4072-A242-7BB31D6962CE.jpeg

Dougie should be made to watch Kante videos over and over again, thats what he should be aiming for.

• Like 1

Â