Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

It’s interesting, out of our defenders I don’t think of him as necessarily being the best at any particular trait, but I default think of him as being the most suitable partner for the other three. 

Basically whether it was Torres, Carlos or Mings as the starting defender, Konsa would be my top choice for partnering each of them.

I suppose that’s my roundabout way of saying he’s solid and reliable without necessarily standing out in a way the others might. He compliments the others more, I guess.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s interesting, out of our defenders I don’t think of him as necessarily being the best at any particular trait, but I default think of him as being the most suitable partner for the other three. 

Basically whether it was Torres, Carlos or Mings as the starting defender, Konsa would be my top choice for partnering each of them.

I suppose that’s my roundabout way of saying he’s solid and reliable without necessarily standing out in a way the others might. He compliments the others more, I guess.

He is the biggest example of what it means to be able to rely on someone in any given situation.  Mentally tough, obviously a sponge when it comes to being coached. All teams need a couple of players like that. Without any obvious outstanding natural assets like huge pace , height or incredible passing he can be 100 percent relied upon. The main asset being he rarely commits or goes to ground early. He uses positioning to not get beaten.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He is the biggest example of what it means to be able to rely on someone in any given situation.  Mentally tough, obviously a sponge when it comes to being coached. All teams need a couple of players like that. Without any obvious outstanding natural assets like huge pace , height or incredible passing he can be 100 percent relied upon. The main asset being he rarely commits or goes to ground early. He uses positioning to not get beaten.

He has very good pace though, just that it his languid running style and good positioning hides it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr.Messy said:

because Harry Maguire has played 23mins this season for Manchester United, so obviously deserves it more.

But now Konsa has that all so valuable European experience now 

I await Southgate next excuse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He has very good pace though, just that it his languid running style and good positioning hides it.

Agree with this - Konsa is rapid.

His main weakness as a defender is the "stopper" stuff... winning headers he has no right to win, big tackles, last ditch blocks, and so on.

But the composed positional stuff he's very solid on, and his work in possession has got a lot better under Emery. And then the yard of pace allows him to recover well when he doesn't get these things right.

He reminds me a bit of Rio Ferdinand, who also had good recovery pace and wasn't a big one for flying into tackles. I'd still say he looks best with a natural stopper (like Mings) next to him, but the Konsa / Pau partnership is starting to look very good too.

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

MOTD2 talking about Konsa for England off the back of Dean Smith suggesting it on Radio 5 the other day.

I didn’t think much of their analysis. It was like wright had never heard of him before today and at the end he described him as a “premier league striker worth looking at”

• Haha 3

im a little torn on the Konsa performance yesterday. For me Emi was probably man of the match with a number of one on one saves. For a keeper to be making so many 1 on 1 saves, it suggests to me the defence isnt always doing its role. 

I thought Konsa lost Jackson for his one on one and i also thought Chilwell got in easily on the right.

Maybe its the chemistry with Cash that still needs work.

To balance that up i think his recovery tackling is excellent and hes started to take more responsibility with the ball, he played a great through ball for Cash in the first half. Nice to see that being added to his game.

26 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

im a little torn on the Konsa performance yesterday. For me Emi was probably man of the match with a number of one on one saves. For a keeper to be making so many 1 on 1 saves, it suggests to me the defence isnt always doing its role. 

I thought Konsa lost Jackson for his one on one and i also thought Chilwell got in easily on the right.

Maybe its the chemistry with Cash that still needs work.

To balance that up i think his recovery tackling is excellent and hes started to take more responsibility with the ball, he played a great through ball for Cash in the first half. Nice to see that being added to his game.

He only had two one on one saves to make though. 

The others were all offside. Sterling alone was offside half a dozen times. 

18 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think that's a tactical choice made by the manager.  We play a high line so there's always the risk of an opponent getting in behind and testing the keeper but clearly Unai backs Emi Martinez to excel when he's one on one with a forward.  The up side of playing the high line is we squeeze the pitch and deny whoever we are facing a lot of room to even play in the final third.  We caught Chelsea offside ten times yesterday, this is clearly by design and it means Konsa isn't going to be blocking shots on the line or making tackles in the area, our identity is to basically stop the opposition even reaching that point.  

He's genuinely giving me McGrath vibes. Not at that level of course - no mortal can ever be - but he just does everything so well without a fuss. 
As others have said - not the quickest, tallest or strongest, but good in all those areas, and reads the game well.

The pundits rave about Lewis Dunk (who I rate), and often show his last ditch tackles. But he's making those tackles because he didn't stop the danger earlier. Konsa usually does. I know which I prefer. 

Â