Tom Heaton

midian

Don’t get the debate here at all. Always play your best players. Heaton is better than Steer. 

Yes, Heaton gave away a daft penalty last week, but, he’s made some excellent saves in the opening two games. He’ll be massive for us this season. I’ve got nothing against Steer but Heaton gets the nod every time.

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

The Steer supporters in here have very short memories. Yes the lad can pull off some top saves, but my god do you not remember second half of play off semi v WBA where for twenty minutes it seemed like he was on a mission to pass the ball to their centre forward!? (Three or four times!) 

Even in pre season against Shrewsbury and Charlton he did the same trying to be smart about passing it out. 

Good shot stopper not great at anything else, liability with his feet.

Heaton will be quality. Sadly it seems many on here will never forgive him for not being Butland. Who by the way dropped two absolute clangers into his own net last night... 

You could use the same argument against Heaton. Good shot stopper useless off his own line. 

47 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Steer was exceptional last season. If you you couldn't see that I think you're watching the wrong sport. Oh look at that. What a strange way to argue. 

He did come in and did a splendid job. He is in the right age to keep developing, and ideally for his sake he should play here or move on. There's nothing to suggest he can't make it as a PL goalkeeper. In fact being a key player in a promotion side, he is by definition a PL level goalkeeper. And I think he'd hold his own given a run of matches. 

Ironically I bet the same people who has no calms about giving Heaton all the time in the world, no matter how many fuckups he has, wouldn't give Steer the time of day. 

It's a weird thing when you in a competitive result based business don't evaluate people on their performances. It's literally the only way to actually determine whether they belong in it. 

Now I don't mind Heaton and I'd argue he's a better goalkeeper than Steer, and I think he should keep playing until he drops another bollock. But then I'd drop him right away. The whole concept of having a bench isn't just about injuries. It's about competition. If you allow shit performances without rotating, then in my book that's a mistake. 

We have played 2 games, seriously come on, what is your agenda against him?

What am I missing that is so impressive about Steer?

• Like 1

I have no agenda as I've said about 10 times now. I do however find it fascinating why you are so negative to a goalkeeper that was key in us getting promoted, while at the same time having an issue discussing Heaton's mistakes which cost us points.

The real question here is why do you got an agenda against Steer? Or why can't we discuss Villa players some what objectively.

It's so tedious that it always have to be so polarized on here. It's possible to think Heaton is alright at goalkeeping, but further mistakes should let Steer get a chance. 

Same shit with Grealish. It's possible thinking he's a good player while calling him out when he doesn't perform. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have no agenda as I've said about 10 times now. I do however find it fascinating why you are so negative to a goalkeeper that was key in us getting promoted, while at the same time having an issue discussing Heaton's mistakes which cost us points.

The real question here is why do you got an agenda against Steer? Or why can't we discuss Villa players some what objectively.

It's so tedious that it always have to be do polarized here. It's possible to think Heaton is alright, but furter mistakes should let Steer get a chance. 

Same shit with Grealish. It's possible thinking he's a good player while calling him out when he doesn't perform. 

**** loyalty. That's why we had to put up with Hutton for years.

Do I think that Heaton should be dropped for the penalty? No I don't.

I am, however, fed up of the argument that people use here against Steer.

I'm sick of reading "He's been 3rd choice all his life for a reason", "He was sent out on loan constantly for a reason" as somehow a valid argument against his ability. 

You'd think he was 40 years old or something!

Its no different than saying that he MUST be amazing, because he was "First choice ahead of the Croatia national keeper!".   Utterly stupid arguments.

People go on about how appalling his kicking is... but Heaton has been kicking more passes into touch in the first 2 games than I can recall for a long while.

People talk about how a few good saves doesn't make a good keeper when there's a clanger waiting around the corner...  Heaton has made some excellent saves, but in 2 matches he 1) Given away a bizarre needless penalty, and 2) Done the most ridiculous diving header clearance straight to a Spurs player that really ought to have been a goal.

Again, I don't think Heaton should be anywhere near being dropped at tho moment; but come on guys - at least be consistent in your arguments.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's so tedious that it always have to be so polarized on here. It's possible to think Heaton is alright at goalkeeping, but further mistakes should let Steer get a chance. 

One mistake, in his second competitive appearance.  Ridiculous 

• Like 2

I assume you consider him rushing out and heading the ball to a spurs player good goalleeping then? He's had two big mistakes in two matches, and only luck made sure it ended with just a single conceeded goal. 

I have nothing against him, but lets not sugarcoat it. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I assume you consider him rushing out and heading the ball to a spurs player good goalleeping then? He's had two big mistakes in two matches, and only luck made sure it ended with just a single conceeded goal. 

Don't forget the rushing out and ball being chipped over him in his first game against Leipzig, he's done one stupid thing per match he has played so far :)

still wouldn't drop him though, great keeper, just needs to cut out the one mad moment per match.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You assume wrong- but unlike yourself I'm not jumping on the back of a quality keeper after 2 games.  Funny how you don't even it out with the finger tip saves he has made in both games so far. 

Shall we drop Grealish for his error V Spurs, or maybe even Luiz and Trezuget for their combined efforts for the second goal last week? 

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

3 mistakes. The one where he dropped it and Bournemouth had an open goal. I think Taylor made a saving challenge. 

Still think he’s a good keeper but kind of starting to see why he might have been sold.   

Hoping for a mistake free performance tonight. 

1 hour ago, avfc456 said:

You assume wrong- but unlike yourself I'm not jumping on the back of a quality keeper after 2 games.  Funny how you don't even it out with the finger tip saves he has made in both games so far. 

Shall we drop Grealish for his error V Spurs, or maybe even Luiz and Trezuget for their combined efforts for the second goal last week? 

You are putting words in my mouth now. I have never said we should drop Heaton. I simply said we should be honest about his performances so far, and they have been sub par. He's made mistakes you don't expect from an experienced keeper. The whole point of buying an experienced keeper with no resale value is to avoid those mistakes. If he keeps up his performances of a massive mistake each match, then he should be dropped for Steer, but right now I'd keep him in. 

Now if you wanna sugarcoat it feel free, just don't put words into my mouth. 

On 22/08/2019 at 07:36, ramshackler said:

The Steer supporters in here have very short memories. Yes the lad can pull off some top saves, but my god do you not remember second half of play off semi v WBA where for twenty minutes it seemed like he was on a mission to pass the ball to their centre forward!? (Three or four times!) 

Even in pre season against Shrewsbury and Charlton he did the same trying to be smart about passing it out. 

Good shot stopper not great at anything else, liability with his feet.

Heaton will be quality. Sadly it seems many on here will never forgive him for not being Butland. Who by the way dropped two absolute clangers into his own net last night... 

As popular as this post seems to be I believe it's very misleading and lazy us vs them bollocks which is plaguing VT.

People aren't Steer supporters, no one is saying Heaton wont be quality. Some are simply saying that no ones place in the team should be ironclad guaranteed and that in a fair system if a player regularly makes mistakes in their respective position then being dropped is fair game. You earn the right to play.  

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

As popular as this post seems to be I believe it's very misleading and lazy us vs them bollocks which is plaguing VT.

People aren't Steer supporters, no one is saying Heaton wont be quality. Some are simply saying that no ones place in the team should be ironclad guaranteed and that in a fair system if a player regularly makes mistakes in their respective position then being dropped is fair game. You earn the right to play.  

neil degrasse tyson GIF

• Haha 1

Huge presence.

Massive encouragement to the whole defence throughout. Love the big congratulations he was dishing out when Engels left the ball for him second half. Trio of him and Mengels is just so solid 

Needs to keep working on his feet and trust the ball into Doug when it's on, no problem him playing it safe when he doesn't like look of how tight pressing players are. Also fair few times now he's kicked it out of play on the left wing from a goal kick, stop doing that please.

• Like 1

Â