Tom Heaton

midian

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I agree. Doesn't change the fact that Heaton gave away the match after 50 secs of play. He cost us. Which is the stuff you want to avoid, thus you buy an experienced keeper. The difference between average and top quality keepers are normally that they both are capable of great saves, but the average ones always got a game changing mistake in them. I just thought Heaton was better. 

Lets hope he does improve. 

He didn't give away the match, he made a mistake which cost us a goal.  Of course this made getting a result a bit harder.  Luiz also cost us a goal.  We dominated most of the game and had quite a few chances ourselves to salvage something from the game.  As I say, on to Friday night and lets get ourselves a positive result!

• Like 1

It was his fault no doubt......but we are susceptible to balls through the lines, we need to watch this.......Cairney's ball to sessegnon at Wembley, that caught Hutton & Albert Flat.

We have to be ready for this and stay tight on players.

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Another bad game and Steer should get his chance imo.

No player should be undroppable. That just sends out the wrong message to the team.

Steer isn't good enough.

It would need a serious bad patch for Heaton to let Steer back in.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Steer isn't good enough.

I wouldn't drop Heaton just yet, but you are wrong there. Steer was hugely important to our promotion, so he's easily good enough to play in the PL. 

43 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wouldn't drop Heaton just yet, but you are wrong there. Steer was hugely important to our promotion, so he's easily good enough to play in the PL. 

He was hugely important to our promotion.

He's not good enough to play in the PL (imo). At least not to the level we should be aiming for.

Unless Heaton is showing that he is in a proper run of bad form, he's by far the better option

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Steer isn't good enough.

Steer,Sadly, lacks conviction.....doesn't exude confidence.

In light of his heroics in the play off final it seems harsh....but you have to be cruel to be kind.

Edited by TRO

What Heaton did was bad decision with a careless tackle where Frazer was smart enough to get a penalty out of it. But what he done don’t indicate at all that he’s in a bad form or that the quality isn’t there. He stopped one or two shots in the same game. These mistakes happen every now and then. You can’t just drop a player because a mistake if the quality and form is there.

On 20/08/2019 at 12:38, villalad21 said:

Another bad game and Steer should get his chance imo.

Another bad game? He was brilliant against Spurs and has made 1 mistake, lets not start pretending he has been throwing them in every week. 

He is a top class keeper that made a mistake, shit happens. 

On 18/08/2019 at 14:10, KenjiOgiwara said:

He was awful yesterday. The reason you buy an experienced keeper is so you don't have a goalkeeper making a penalty out of nothing. Not impressed at all.

So you're not a fan of Heaton? That in itself is strange, however:

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

A bloke that has been 3rd choice for pretty much his whole career is "easily good enough to play in the PL"

I don't know what you're watching pal. 

Edited by av1

36 minutes ago, av1 said:

Another bad game? He was brilliant against Spurs and has made 1 mistake, lets not start pretending he has been throwing them in every week. 

He is a top class keeper that made a mistake, shit happens. 

So you're not a fan of Heaton? That in itself is strange, however:

A bloke that has been 3rd choice for pretty much his whole career is "easily good enough to play in the PL"

I don't know what you're watching pal. 

I've never said I am not a fan of Heaton.

I think Heaton is solid. But even solid keepers can need a kick up the arse. If he keeps dropping clangers losing us matches, I'd easily drop him for Steer. Who was exceptional and a big part in us getting promoted. We are however not there yet. Heaton was bought for a lot of money to come in with experience, like a lot of clubs do with the keeper position. He went on and cost us right away with rookie mistakes. Can't see that being impressive to anyone. 

3rd choice all his career. Haha you are talking about a 26 year old keeper. He may have 14 years at the til level left. As seen from last year he may just be hitting that career sweet spot and develop a lot now. There's absolute no reason to suggest he will be inadequate in the PL. He may drop a bollock or two, but apparantly so does Heaton. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

One mistake surrounded by some world class saves and we should drop him, same for Grealish as well , drop him as well . Ming's as well,  he 'bottled it' and moved out of the way of the ball before it flew into the net, ignore the tackles and blocks he put in before and after , just drop him.

As for Smith, lost two games in a row after turning the Titanic mess that Bruce left us in and we should start to doubt him .......I smell a rat 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd easily drop him for Steer. Who was exceptional and a big part in us getting promoted. so does Heaton. 

Steer was not "exceptional" last season. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

3rd choice all his career. Haha you are talking about a 26 year old keeper. He may have 14 years at the til level left. As seen from last year he may just be hitting that career sweet spot and develop a lot now. There's absolute no reason to suggest he will be inadequate in the PL. He may drop a bollock or two, but apparantly so does Heaton. 

He came in a did a decent job during a keeper crisis. He has always been a 3rd choice and the minute the final whistle blew at Wembley Smith was shopping for a replacement.

He isn't good enough for the PL, if you can't see the difference between Heaton and Steer you are watching the wrong sport. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Also people are talking about that mistake like it's the worst thing they've ever seen.

He was right to come out for it, just wrong to actually go for the challenge. It was rash and it was definitely a mistake, but I do think there's a bit of an overreaction here.

I agree and would go so far as to say it wasn’t even rash, he just put his foot in the wrong place to try and slow himself down and it was wrong place wrong time. 

It’s done now. We move on and I for one and so glad we have Heaton. £8m ... still think it’s a bargain.

14 hours ago, av1 said:

Steer was not "exceptional" last season. 

He came in a did a decent job during a keeper crisis. He has always been a 3rd choice and the minute the final whistle blew at Wembley Smith was shopping for a replacement.

He isn't good enough for the PL, if you can't see the difference between Heaton and Steer you are watching the wrong sport. 

Steer was exceptional last season. If you you couldn't see that I think you're watching the wrong sport. Oh look at that. What a strange way to argue. 

He did come in and did a splendid job. He is in the right age to keep developing, and ideally for his sake he should play here or move on. There's nothing to suggest he can't make it as a PL goalkeeper. In fact being a key player in a promotion side, he is by definition a PL level goalkeeper. And I think he'd hold his own given a run of matches. 

Ironically I bet the same people who has no calms about giving Heaton all the time in the world, no matter how many fuckups he has, wouldn't give Steer the time of day. 

It's a weird thing when you in a competitive result based business don't evaluate people on their performances. It's literally the only way to actually determine whether they belong in it. 

Now I don't mind Heaton and I'd argue he's a better goalkeeper than Steer, and I think he should keep playing until he drops another bollock. But then I'd drop him right away. The whole concept of having a bench isn't just about injuries. It's about competition. If you allow shit performances without rotating, then in my book that's a mistake. 

Â