Tom Heaton

midian

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When did that happen?

here, 7m 3sec onwards.

Although to be fair, not really his fault, was a deflection/mess/mis-kick by Mings and then Taylor doing dance master moves and flicking the ball around in the box, causing him to have to try and pick it up or get it out, not his fault tbh, Heaton was just trying to react to 2 defenders in a row throwing a kick at a ball in the 6 yard box and it spinning off them both almost towards the goal.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

If he had it covered he wouldn’t have allowed it hit the post, the rebound could go anywhere 

You do know what ' had it covered' means right ? As in it was never going in because he had the goals covered.

For someone who said he was no where near it, I will take it that you dont know what had it covered means.

39 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

You do know what ' had it covered' means right ? As in it was never going in because he had the goals covered.

For someone who said he was no where near it, I will take it that you dont know what had it covered means.

How condescending could you be?

It went past him, no keeper would claim to have a ball covered when it’s hit the post. He wouldn’t have known it was going to hit the post. If he had it covered he would’ve saved it. It’s not like he pulled out of it knowing that it wasn’t going in. 

Yes I said he was nowhere near it, that was on first view. Having seen a couple of times, he was closer but I still don’t think he got a touch on it and definitely didn’t have it “covered”.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It went past him, no keeper would claim to have a ball covered when it’s hit the post. He wouldn’t have known it was going to hit the post. If he had it covered he would’ve saved it. It’s not like he pulled out of it knowing that it wasn’t going in. 

Yes I said he was nowhere near it, that was on first view. Having seen a couple of times, he was closer but I still don’t think he got a touch on it and definitely didn’t have it “covered”.

Got to say that if it did go inside the post he would of had it "covered", imo, but post or hand it didn't go in, we got a clean sheet, and the confidence that will give our defence is unbelievable 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

here, 7m 3sec onwards.

Although to be fair, not really his fault, was a deflection/mess/mis-kick by Mings and then Taylor doing dance master moves and flicking the ball around in the box, causing him to have to try and pick it up or get it out, not his fault tbh, Heaton was just trying to react to 2 defenders in a row throwing a kick at a ball in the 6 yard box and it spinning off them both almost towards the goal.

Thanks. I can see why I couldn’t remember it now.  Hardly a keeper error. 

19 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Far more than I have been if I choose to, especially when someone posts such rubbish as he was nowhere near it !

My point is proved because you obviously dont get it.

The keeper isnt there to stop it hitting the post he is there to stop it going between them. He may not have known it would hit the post however he will have known his hand had the goals covered, hence he had it covered.

I suggest you actually watch it in slow motion and see that his hand is covering the space between where he was and the post the ball hit.

Edited by brummybloke

I just feel safe with Heaton between the sticks.

all goal keepers make errors

I like Steer's character and his heroics at Albion was amazing.

just don't feel safe with him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Far more than I have been if I choose to, especially when someone posts such rubbish as he was nowhere near it !

My point is proved because you obviously dont get it.

The keeper isnt there to stop it hitting the post he is there to stop it going between them. He may not have known it would hit the post however he will have known his hand had the goals covered, hence he had it covered.

I suggest you actually watch it in slow motion and see that his hand is covering the space between where he was and the post the ball hit.

I don't normally like to wade in into a disagreement between posters, but I think you're being harsh.

I have to admit, that I also wouldn't really say that he "had it covered", and I think that had it been an inch or two more to the left, that would have been in off the post.

More to the point, I certainly don't think it that it such a clear case of "having it covered" that you can "choose to be far more condescending if wish to"

Well, you can choose to be as condescending as you want, I suppose - but the fact of the matter is, that there is no definition of what "having it covered" actually means, so it is a subjective take on the situation.

For me, I 100% would NOT describe a situation where a goalkeeper desperately lunges full stretch to reach for a ball that passes him at speed, striking the post, rebounding into play, being lucky that the ball doesn't bounce back off him and into the net.. as "having it covered".

Would he have saved it if the ball was a couple of inches further to the left? Maybe, maybe not.

But you're talking to someone like they're stupid for "not getting it", and I definitely don't agree with that. 

Was he wrong when he said Heaton was nowhere near it? Yes.  But he has already acknowledged that.  

• Thanks 1

He didn't need to even dive for it, it missed the goal and hit the post 😌. He's been solid playing with players he hardly knows , that's enough to show he's a step up from any keeper I have seen us have  since Brad Freidel 

• Like 1

He'll need a couple of Pickford errors to get into the side I think.

I think Heaton's footwork will improve loads here and they're already steady. Short range 25-40m passes can really help us get out without a percentage long ball. They'll be working on it loads every day and he'll need it to be top to secure a position ahead of Pope.

A lot has been made of Mings getting a call up, and rightly so, but let's give some attention to our other England International -

Spoiler

Related image

Well done, Tyrone. Do us proud :flag: 

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

Unless Pickford makes massive blunders (carson style) in competititve england matches the shirt is his to keep.

He regularly makes high profile balls up for everton yet keeps getting picked. his antics at nightclubs etc suggest he had done a joe hart and dissappeared up his own battio. but he seens to have locked down that england jersey. Heaton will only ever be a number 13 for england I believe.

Â