Tom Heaton

midian

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He doesn’t owe us anything, without him so far our goal difference would be much worse

Well if we were playing with no goalkeeper then yeah you're right. But he cost us at least a point yesterday.

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He was awful yesterday. The reason you buy an experienced keeper is so you don't have a goalkeeper making a penalty out of nothing. Not impressed at all.

He made one bad mistake which cost us a point, but he was fine apart from that.

On the other hand, he very nearly got us a point (or even three) against Spurs, in a game we had no right to get anything out of.

If he makes a habit of giving away silly penalties, then I'll start to worry, but for now I think he looks like a very good signing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He was awful yesterday. The reason you buy an experienced keeper is so you don't have a goalkeeper making a penalty out of nothing. Not impressed at all.

Absolute nonsense. The error was awful but that aside he was absolutely fine and did what was expected of him. It was just a rush of blood to the head, trying to impress on his home debut. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah he did make a mistake. 

41 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Absolute nonsense. The error was awful but that aside he was absolutely fine and did what was expected of him. It was just a rush of blood to the head, trying to impress on his home debut. 

Ofc. it's not nonsense. Doesn't matter if you're alright for 89 minutes (like most keepers are) if you decide to give away a penalty after 50 seconds. 

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ofc. it's not nonsense. Doesn't matter if you're alright for 89 minutes (like most keepers are) if you decide to give away a penalty after 50 seconds. 

but there was plenty of time to fight back.....if we were more clinical in front of goal, we would have bailed him out.

• Like 1

As the ball rolled comfortably towards him, it seemed to me that Heaton's brain got stuck in the wrong mode. It selected "Modern goalie" and started looking for the right pass to build from the back (hence the hesitant "Ali shuffle"). What he needed was "Old fashioned goalie" mode... Just flop on it. I remember Nigel Spink's brain selecting the wrong mode in the first season of the back pass law. As the ball looped lazily towards him off a striker, he steadied himself and headed it wide (before he and the Holte End shared a look of total confusion). I guess it happens to the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm a big fan of Heaton, but there is some truth in this. His mistake came at a terrible point where we needed confidence from one of our most experienced players. Being ok thereafter doesn't make up for it.

14 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I'm a big fan of Heaton, but there is some truth in this. His mistake came at a terrible point where we needed confidence from one of our most experienced players. Being ok thereafter doesn't make up for it.

Pretty clear Deano was in agreement with us.  He was not gentle with Heaton in his post match interview 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Pretty clear Deano was in agreement with us.  He was not gentle with Heaton in his post match interview 

What did he say? I've heard nothing from Deano other than "Heaton made a mistake that he'll likely never make again". 

He undoubtedly cost us the game. Equally, he is undoubtedly a great keeper and I bet he is very upset he cocked up his home debut so monumentally.

It’s his desire to come out for no reason that he has done a couple of times now that worries me. If the coaches can knock that on the head then we have a quality keeper for a good few years who will no doubt make the odd cock-up like flapping at the ball but not something as stupid as coming out for no reason and flooring a defender in the midst of a non-threatening attack.  

Edited by Spoony

On 18/08/2019 at 22:17, PompeyVillan said:

Quite a surprising mistake from an experienced 'keeper. "Villa Analytics" on twitter wrote when we signed him that over the past few years he has reduced the amount that he rushes out of goal to make clearances or tackles. Based on his decision making yesterday I can see why. It was totally unnecessary. I'm expecting better to be honest, I'm sure he will be also. 

Seems to be the one part of his game that is giving him serious problems at the moment. I've seen him 3 times (RB Leipzig, Spurs & Bournemouth) and each game rushing off his line has gotten us in trouble. Against Leipzig he nervously came off his line early on and Engels (?) had to clear off the line, against Spurs he had the header that went straight to Lamela that luckily wasn't punished and of course the penalty on the weekend.

He's pulled off a few great saves thus far, but if he can cut these nervy moments out of his game he'll be fantastic for us.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Seems to be the one part of his game that is giving him serious problems at the moment. I've seen him 3 times (RB Leipzig, Spurs & Bournemouth) and each game rushing off his line has gotten us in trouble. Against Leipzig he nervously came off his line early on and Engels (?) had to clear off the line, against Spurs he had the header that went straight to Lamela that luckily wasn't punished and of course the penalty on the weekend.

He's pulled off a few great saves thus far, but if he can cut these nervy moments out of his game he'll be fantastic for us.

Agree with this. I wonder if it’s just new team nerves but if he can nip that in the bud then he’s basically flawless as a keeper. 

• Like 1

Rushing off your line is fine. As is staying on your line. 

Rushing and then hesitating isn't - and that is where he made the mistake. Had he rushed and dived he would have cleaned it up no problem. But he looks like he was willing the ball out instead, and got caught. 

He who hesitates is lost 

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:34, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bad day at the office, happens to every keeper, if he's routinely doing this then there's problems. However he's proven at this level and was excellent last week against Spurs. People really, really, really need to shut the absolute **** up with their incessant moaning. 

I agree!  It was only a matter of time before the feel good factor started to disappear and negativity started to creep in.  People had unrealistic expectations for the season.  I maintain that any position above 18th will be a success.  Hopefully we get a win on Friday night to get us on our way!

42 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

I agree!  It was only a matter of time before the feel good factor started to disappear and negativity started to creep in.  People had unrealistic expectations for the season.  I maintain that any position above 18th will be a success.  Hopefully we get a win on Friday night to get us on our way!

I agree. Doesn't change the fact that Heaton gave away the match after 50 secs of play. He cost us. Which is the stuff you want to avoid, thus you buy an experienced keeper. The difference between average and top quality keepers are normally that they both are capable of great saves, but the average ones always got a game changing mistake in them. I just thought Heaton was better. 

Lets hope he does improve. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

As soon as I saw this from my view at the back of the Holte I knew it was a pen. I must admit I was surprised at the challenge and I put it down due to nerves at first home game and caught in two minds. 

However no real chance of preventing the second goal, but you cannot give a gift like that within the first min esp in this league. However as TRO as said, we did have 89 mins to put it right but we didnt take our chances

Can I just mention the Telegraphs view of the game the headlines said "streetwise Bournemouth punish naive Villa for nightmare start" exactly as I saw it. just substitute streetwise for bullying, cheating and feigning "injury". However I hate to say it but Bournemouth did a good job of seeing out those last minutes.

Â