Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh yeh! I genuinely forgot about Young. Ok so I can see why we are letting him go. He seems a good professional and a nice lad. To tell him he ain’t going to Newcastle to warm our bench for some of the reasons fans have mentioned would seem a bit harsh.

For sure, he definitely deserves respect for his part in keeping us up and then helping us kick on. I've nothing bad to say about him - he just doesn't fit into our style of play, really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

If this is happening there is a reason. And do not rule out us being decent and allowing him out to play football when the reality is even if he competes for the position , Digne is different levels to him and he would have to transform the way he plays left back to have a chance . 

You do know footballers can’t be treated like humans don’t you? What they want is irrelevant. We can’t strengthen another team. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pez1974 said:

This is not correct. 

It was talked about at the time - wasn't confirmed or denied anywhere as far as I can remember. Ah well, it's a bonus then - this'll pay for Chambers' wages, I'd imagine.

• Like 1

On a personal level I just don't like the idea of aiding Newcastle in staying up, but even beyond that unless we're definitely bringing in Hickey or whoever I just can't fathom why this would be happening on these terms.

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

The loan is most likely down to Targett not wanting to play in the championship and take a drop in wages. They go down he comes back and we move him on somewhere else. They stay up and he makes it permanent. Could be that simple.

They stay up and they will be spending 30 - 40 mill on fullbacks not Matt Targett.

This deal is so strange and incredibly short sighted by the club if it happens.

6 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

"Targett isn't good enough" "He's a liability" "His positioning is terrible" "We need a new left back"

*Buy a new left back and potentially let Targett leave*

"We can't strengthen another team!" "Targett is a mid table left back" "I can't believe the club are doing this"

I think Grealish protected Target immensely.   Teams didn’t commit down that wing as Grealish would have destroyed them.  With Grealish gone, Target has been so badly exposed this season.  For 2 games in particular, a pub player would have done better 

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

On a personal level I just don't like the idea of aiding Newcastle in staying up, but even beyond that unless we're definitely bringing in Hickey or whoever I just can't fathom why this would be happening on these terms.

We can't just spend indefinitely - we have to balance the books somewhere and this seems like an easy way of getting several million.

• Like 1

Just now, AshVilla said:

They stay up and they will be spending 30 - 40 mill on fullbacks not Matt Targett.

This deal is so strange and incredibly short sighted by the club if it happens.

Agree, it’s giving them a stop-gap solution in their quest to stay up. If they do stay up, the likes of Chris Wood. Dan Burn and Targett are likely to be surplus to requirements. A loan for Targett takes that problem away for them. It’s downright weird. 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

I think Grealish protected Target immensely.   Teams didn’t commit down that wing as Grealish would have destroyed them.  With Grealish gone, Target has been so badly exposed this season.  For 2 games in particular, a pub player would have done better 

Not sure that makes sense.

Grealish offered a minimal to moderate amount of defensive cover for Targett. Attacking down that side with Grealish there would be beneficial.

Targett played out of his skin last season. This season he was largely poor.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure that makes sense.

Grealish offered a minimal to moderate amount of defensive cover for Targett. Attacking down that side with Grealish there would be beneficial.

Targett played out of his skin last season. This season he was largely poor.

Not when teams didn’t commit down that wing.  Alot of the time they had 2 men on Grealish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Agree, it’s giving them a stop-gap solution in their quest to stay up. If they do stay up, the likes of Chris Wood. Dan Burn and Targett are likely to be surplus to requirements. A loan for Targett takes that problem away for them. It’s downright weird. 

It's not downright weird because we'll be charging through the nose for it, obviously. And we need to get some money in, as that Grealish money has surely dried up by now.

Depends on the deal but a loan move then we are stupid. He is a huge upgrade on Lewis  and then if they stay up can send him back 

Not to mention I would be appalled at doing business with them, its like they have forgotten what City have done over the years to us. Newcastle will do similar 

This makes so little sense. I really don't get it. There has to be an obligation to buy for a high fee in there plus a big loan fee too. We must have Hickey coming in today too. 

I don't get why we would Loan Newcastle Targett. He's a very good defender.

If this is the only deal we do today, I'll be pissed.

Also please for the love of god can we stop loaning out every other **** player in our squad, if we don't want a senior player then we need to start demanding a permanent fee. There is no benefit to us in allowing Matty go and help Newcasbah retain PL status for another year.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont care if he goes or not.........as long as we have cover for LB (which would mean buying another LB).

Surely if we are loaning him out then Hickey or another left back must be coming in. Why sign competition to strengthen the position only to let Targett go and leave us with one dedicated left back again?

Â