Ethan Ampadu

momo

Since it's on the Guardian, I think it is a bit serious.

Aston Villa are interested in signing Ethan Ampadu on a season-long loan from Chelsea if the 18-year-old becomes available this summer. Ampadu, who played more for his country than his club last season, is set to be targeted by Villa should Chelsea decide that the Wales international would benefit from playing regular first-team football elsewhere for a year.

Ampadu, who joined Chelsea from Exeter City two years ago, is highly rated and several other clubs are monitoring his potential availability – something that will only become clear once Maurizio Sarri’s replacement at Stamford Bridge has had an opportunity to assess the squad.

Villa could be an attractive proposition for Chelsea and Ampadu, given the style of football that the Midlands club play under Dean Smith and the fact John Terry is part of their coaching staff. Terry, the former Chelsea captain, knows Ampadu after training with him last summer, when he returned to Cobham before announcing his retirement later in the year.

Able to play in defence or central midfield, Ampadu is composed on the ball and has a superb range of passing. He is also a combative presence. Those attributes, allied with his versatility, means that he will have plenty of suitors if Chelsea allow him to go out on loan. Villa were among a number of Championship clubs to inquire about taking him last season but Sarri was adamant that he wanted the teenager to remain part of Chelsea’s first-team squad throughout the campaign.

Despite that stance, Sarri gave Ampadu only three starts for Chelsea – two in the FA Cup and one in the Europa League – and not a single run-out in the Premier League, leaving many to question why the youngster had not been allowed to gain valuable first-team experience in the Championship. Indeed, Ampadu ended up playing more matches and minutes for Wales last season than Chelsea.

The prospect of Frank Lampard replacing Sarri as manager at Chelsea does open the door to the possibility of Ampadu being given more opportunities, especially as the club face a two-window transfer ban. It is also worth noting that Lampard tried and failed to sign Ampadu on loan at Derby in January. Yet, realistically, it is still hard to see Ampadu playing regularly for Chelsea over the next 12 months and in that respect a loan move may well end up being viewed as the best option for his development, particularly given the desire to avoid a repeat of last season.

It's a weird one. The Guardian don't normally report nonsense clickbait rumours but it wouldn't make sense. Not for us based on what Purslow / Smith said about loans. Not for Chelsea based on their transfer ban.

• Like 3

Seeing as we released pretty much all of our youth team this makes sense.

Especially when you factor the new law only allowing clubs to loan out so many players, so Chelsea will look to sell the players who they think have the least chance of making their team.

We know we wont be loaning any players, so I'm treating this link as a permanent signing to bolster our depleted under 23s.

• Confused 1

Very talented player, as I've said elsewhere mentally he's a lot older than 18, reading the game well and just understanding it really well in terms of his positioning.

Would be delighted if this were a permanent signing or even a loan with a view to buy, less keen if it's just a loan, he's not quite there in terms of being a starter at this level and I personally don't like the idea of developing other teams young talents, especially now we're back in the Premier League.

No thanks.

Loan and he will probably have some sort of clause where he has to play a certain amount of games/minutes.

Our first season back in the prem i'd rather have someone more proven and i really don't like the idea of blooding other teams assets it was ok in championship as it was a means to an end but now were back in the big time.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

We know we wont be loaning any players, so I'm treating this link as a permanent signing to bolster our depleted under 23s.

There is no chance Ampadu would be coming here to play in our U23's. He's got eight full senior international caps. 

He'd be a great signing on a permanent deal, but I think he'd be pricey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Unless it's a loan with an option, it won't happen. 

Absolutely. Purslow categorically stated that we will not be spending time developing players for other people because "it's a terrible business model so we won't be doing any more of that" 

I haven’t seen him play live, just YouTube clips and he looks brilliant, really stylish and he reads the game so well for someone so young. The fact that he’s been around Chelsea’s first team speak volumes

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There is no chance Ampadu would be coming here to play in our U23's. He's got eight full senior international caps. 

He'd be a great signing on a permanent deal, but I think he'd be pricey.

Yeah my comment was tongue in cheek to the speculation really as we aren't going to be loaning anyone, its already been stated by Smith & Purslow.

Also I don't think we would throw an 18 year old into the team in such an important season.

Â