Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

33 minutes ago, allani said:

He's also now the wrong type of player.  When we got promoted I think our scouting brief was probably - we need the next Benteke.  Whereas now we are probably looking for something more like the next Jamie Vardy.

When you think Wesley was signed to do what Ollie does it was a strange signing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

When you think Wesley was signed to do what Ollie does it was a strange signing

We could have bought any old league one striker for £3m who was comfortably better than Wes.

He's probably one of Aston Villa's worst ever deals. £20m ffs. Bosko Balaban went on to play Champions League football. I doubt Wes will be a professional by 30.

He wasn't playing well before the serious injury, but he was only 22 and showing signs that he was becoming a little more comfortable in the Premier League, so we shouldn't pretend the injury hasn't had an impact on how he's performed since. He scored 24 goals and had 10 assists at Brugge the previous two seasons. There was something there.

All that said, at times I felt he was a CB playing striker.

19 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

He wasn't playing well before the serious injury

To be fair, he was having a brilliant game, in the game he got the injury.

It was where alot of us thought, finally, it's clicking for him!

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

. Bosko Balaban went on to play Champions League football. I doubt Wes will be a professional by 30.

42 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Wesley has already played Champions League. 

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Never good enough for the Champions League, PL or Championship.

Got to love that ability to turn on a sixpence and decide your own line of logic was bollocks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Got to love that ability to turn on a sixpence and decide your own line of logic was bollocks.

Balaban was any old example of a bad Villa signing. Could have said Trezeguet or Scott Hogan.

Wasn't central to my point of Wes being absolutely garbage, plus the cost of course.

£20,000,000.

It'll take some beating. He's probably #1 now.

Edited by Tomaszk

9 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Out of interest, what do you think of Danny Ings?

I think Ings has the ability of a Premier League player. At 21/22 he was scoring 20 in 40 Championship games.

7 goals in 30 PL games compared to Wesley’s 5 in 21?

It could have been 0 in 30 PL games and I doubt I'd be thinking Wes was the better footballer. I'm sure Ings would have enjoyed playing with Grealish.

We signed Wesley as a very raw 22-year old who needed some time to adjust to the Premier League. Sadly, in the game where he actually started to look like the PL striker we needed, he was assaulted by an opponent, which has basically ended his career.

He was playing well that game I agree.

He must be the first pro player in a few years to have their career ended from an injury? Feels like it faded away through the 2010s.

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, he was having a brilliant game, in the game he got the injury.

It was where alot of us thought, finally, it's clicking for him!

I don't want to resurrect an old debate since it's moot now, but you guys also thought that at Everton, as well as at Norwich. He followed those performances with a terrible performances after. Wesley wasn't entirely terrible, but he was far more often bad than good. 

Edit: Also the Ings comparisons are silly. Ings has had a poor season especially by his standards so being in line with him isn't anything to sneeze about. And as poor as he is this season, his minutes per goal ratio is still 1.5 times better than Wes's. And don't get me started with Wesley's lack of all round play. Fact is, his sub par goal return was the best thing about him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

Writing off a 22-year old, one that is moving to one of the most demanding leagues in the world, after 21 games is poor. I shudder to think what will happen to Kamara if he doesn’t hit the ground running.

Thing is I’m not surprised. Some have written off the manager already after a similar number of games, but that’s not one for this thread.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Balaban was any old example of a bad Villa signing. Could have said Trezeguet or Scott Hogan.

Wasn't central to my point of Wes being absolutely garbage, plus the cost of course.

£20,000,000.

It'll take some beating. He's probably #1 now.

Seems unfair to put trez in with Bosko or Hogan.

• Like 2

He was a promising youngster who was miles ahead of Davis. 

He played CL football and had a decent goalscoring record.

He was still adjusting to the league, granted, but he was powerful and skillfull. Benteke esque at times but much more raw.

I don't know how good who would have become, but it seemed like a good signing at the time. Real shame for the young lad to have his career destroyed. 

24 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I shudder to think what will happen to Kamara if he doesn’t hit the ground running.

Ah, he'll be fine if he can control and kick the ball.

• Haha 1

Aside from the typical woes of adapting to a new country/league/slipshod side, the main issue was he's naturally a false 9, while everyone expected him to be a Benteke as we played him like a Heskey. Either he wasn't scouted properly by Suso and co, or Deano and ROK saw him and said, there's a big lad, just pump it up to him (or maybe both). With that classic Villa irony, he'd probably have been a much better fit for how we're trying to play now than Ollie, and Ollie much better for the promoted side.

• Like 2

He's nowhere near as bad as what people are making out. We were absolutely awful that first season as well.

Just had a look back and the game before he got injured we played Wes up top with Grealish - Lansbury - Jota behind him. That was only 2 and a half years ago.

• Like 1

Â